St Vincent?

phabric

• 2 months later...

In St. Vincent most of the beaches have the black sand but some of the areas have the "standard" type sand

I would recommend an island tour or a tour of their botanical gardens.

I visited a few years ago but cannot remember the name of the tour company I used. I remember the owner's last name was Hazell a very personable guy.

You can try the website discoversvg.com for info.

I would definitely recommend a tour as the town has very little to offer, but the actual island is quite scenic with many options depending on your interests.

Being onboard a ship you would need to decide on either west or east coast, as the road layout would probably not give you time for both.

Suggest you read where your shorex are going to give you some idea of what you could do, but to get a better idea of both sides of the island, also look at Tripadvisor and other tourist info for the island.

There are several tour companies  who would offer you a tour tweaked to your own interests and there should be info on these on their sites. There are also tour company reviews on Tripadvisor.

We booked with Trunos of Fraser Taxi and Tours as he had such great reviews on Tripadvisor.  Decided on a west coast tour and had a wonderful day. Should we ever return we would book with him again.

• 2 months later...

What about taxis? Can you get a taxi tour as on other islands? What I mean is can you just pick them up at the port without booking a tour?

Edited by caber

• 7 months later...

We were just there yesterday while on board the Silhouette. Had zero expectations and zero plans. We had an all aboard time of 3:30 so we did not want to venture out to far. We wound up taking the water taxi from the port ( $15/pp round trip) to Villa beach, which was fine. Remember we had low to no expectations. The beach had facilities and rentals.  The water was very calm & clear and ther was some snorkeling along the right side of the beach. The water taxi took less than 15 minutes. You could take a regular taxi for $10/pp round trip, I believe that trip would take a little longer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We booked a tour with Trunos of Frasier Taxi and Tours. It was fabulous! His van is immaculate. He provided snacks and drinks. We saw most of the island and toured the Montreal Gardens, a stunning Botanical Gardens. Highly recommend this comprehensive personal island experience!

• 2 weeks later...

Before our recent cruise I tried to find info on a good tour guide & did not have much success.  We ended up taking a chance & lucked into one on the pier.  "Albert" - he joked 'like Albert Einstein' - took the four of us on about a 3 1/2 tour showing us both sides of the island, he was really knowledgeable of the history, the present status of crime, gangs, drugs..... and we got a great insight into the people. We also asked him to stop at a grocery store because we always like to see unique local things.  He helped us with any questions we had.  The 4 of us did a private tour & we paid $25 or $30 per person (sorry I'm getting tours mixed up but it was one of those) .  If anyone is interested, his email is kingipa@hotmail.com 

• 4 months later...

In March we took a tour with Detention tours which was excellent. Samuel offers several tour options including botanical gardens, or dark view falls with pirates of the Caribbean and beach break.

The water taxi to Villa beach is quick and convenient.

St Vincent is a beautiful volcanic island and to really appreciate the scenery you need to take a taxi or tour.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/19/2022 at 2:42 AM, Teodor said:

What is the current Covid restrictions?

In RCL App i see 'Guests may visit most ports freely with the exception of St. Vincent which requires tours for all guests...'

Any update on this? Is it still valid?

Yes, an update would be nice!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now we are home, I wanted to add a little more info.  The Quency Lewis Pirates Tour (the company is also known as Foreign Tours) was very well organised.  From the initial meeting in the cruise terminal you could tell it was not your average tour as this larger than life character with his portable PA gets you ready for the day ahead.

We started with a stop in the fishing town of Layou where we saw the fishing nets, were given fresh fruit, our pirate hats and had photos taken.  From there we went to the cove where some of Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed.  The cruise tour groups turned up, had a look around and then left while we were lined up, given punch, various photos signs etc to use before doing dancing to the portable PA.

We then went down a very rough track to a lovely little beach where we had around 90 minutes to relax before heading back towards Kingstown.  Usually they would finish at the fort but that was closed for maintenance so they said we would instead go over to Arnos Vale where the posh new developments were being built.

At that point, it got a bit strange but in a fun way.  The old airport has been transformed with shops in the terminal building and bar in the old ATC tower.  There is a road crossing the old runway which we drove into and then we pulled off and parked on the runway,

On the runway were some goats wandering around as well as someone learning to drive.  After a few minutes wait, we got off the buses to find a little buffet set up for us with various savoury snacks and drinks available.  They then announced they had seen on FB it was someone's birthday so they brought out a birthday cake for us all to celebrate.  They then got out another cake as a thank you for some people who were on their fourth tour with them.  After a bit more dancing on the runway, it was time to go back.

There were two buses for those on the tour plus another support vehicle which had all of the supplies and ensured everything was ready when we got to each stop.

It is very well organised, great fun and as I said before, ridiculously good value for money.  If they had charged double I would still have been happy.