mvh

Amsterdam airport shuttle to Ijmuiden

I just found out the my cruise on The MSC Preziosa out of Amsterdam has been moved to Ijmuiden because they don't want to pay an extra $8 pp tax, which I would have gladly paid .  Of course I was not notified of this and now I see it is a $100 cab ride each way.  Had I known any of this I would not have booked this and would have boarded in Hamburg since that was an option, but of course my flight is now booked.  Now that I'm done venting about the move, does anyone know a better way to get there?  (train, bus etc) Also, is there anything there to see or do?  Thanks,

If there is no shuttle by MSC you might better use Uber to get to IJmuiden. Try to find fellow passengers through your rollcall to share the ride. The distance from Amsterdam is one of the reasons HAL stopped sailing with Prinsendam to./from IJmuiden a few years ago.

Public transport by regular bus from Amsterdam Sloterdijk station  -not from city centre-- is possible , but not very convenient. It takes about  45 minutes and you have to drag luggage across a dike and walk for some distance before getting to the cruiseterminal.. Also space for luggage is limited.

3 hours ago, mvh said:

I just found out the my cruise on The MSC Preziosa out of Amsterdam has been moved to Ijmuiden because they don't want to pay an extra $8 pp tax, which I would have gladly paid .  . . .

I'm not sure how you know that's the reason they decided not to sail up river to Amsterdam.  We sailed up the river on the HAL Zuiderdam in 2017.  However, it's a much smaller ship (82,000 GT, 2,000 pax).  The MSC Preziosa is 139,000 GT carrying 4,000 pax.  Another reason may be the level of the water in the river; I know that was of concern when we sailed up a different river to Rotterdam a few years ago on the Caribbean Princess.

11 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

I'm not sure how you know that's the reason they decided not to sail up river to Amsterdam.  We sailed up the river on the HAL Zuiderdam in 2017.  However, it's a much smaller ship (82,000 GT, 2,000 pax).  The MSC Preziosa is 139,000 GT carrying 4,000 pax.  Another reason may be the level of the water in the river; I know that was of concern when we sailed up a different river to Rotterdam a few years ago on the Caribbean Princess.

MSC decided to change departure to IJmuiden due to an extra tax decision recently by the Amsteram authorities. Also in the past a few MSC ships were docking in IJmuiden. Cheaper as they donot have to pass the locks, also saves time and fuel of course.

The new city council unfortunately is rather unfriendly to tourists. The IAmsterdam sign at Museumplein is gone as there were too many tourists taking photos....(!!!!)), another plan is to close the cruise terminal in the future. Some crazy plans I think. 

Edited by Ine

9 hours ago, Ine said:

MSC decided to change departure to IJmuiden due to an extra tax decision recently by the Amsteram authorities. Also in the past a few MSC ships were docking in IJmuiden. Cheaper as they donot have to pass the locks, also saves time and fuel of course.

The new city council unfortunately is rather unfriendly to tourists. The IAmsterdam sign at Museumplein is gone as there were too many tourists taking photos....(!!!!)), another plan is to close the cruise terminal in the future. Some crazy plans I think. 

Ine, thanks for the info re MSC's decision.  Sorry that the city council's attitude towards tourists is so bad.  Aren't tourists a big boon to the local economy?  We've been there 3 times (depart on Viking river cruise, 2 ocean cruises) plus we've had layovers at Schiphol multiple times.  Also been in Rotterdam 5 times on cruises and spent a few nights in Delft after that river cruise.  I love the Netherlands and their "ABC" islands in the Caribbean!  Finally, it's great to have you on this board.

I still hope  and others with me  that common sense will come back. Indeed Amsterdam from time to time has ((too) many tourists but of course they also spend money. Tourism also brings jobs.

Edited by Ine