Shame on RC shows!

prmet

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Cruising in the 80s and 90s also cost 5-10 times as much, if not more, per person.....

I think that anybody crying about the deteriorating stage entertainment and comparing it to the 80’s and 90’s, isn’t really remembering how awful these shows used to be.

What I remember from the cruises that I took back then are the same 5 performers wearing the same outfits every day, pretending to be Vegas dancers, and trying to perform on stages so small, that they could barely move around without brushing passengers on the front row with the feathers on their outfits. 

The cruise director doubled as singer and performed several songs almost every night. Many times, he was THE “headliner”. You were lucky if you had a special performer do magic card tricks. Worse of all, these shows were the only form of entertainment outside of sitting at a bar or going to the disco. If you missed the show, you were screwed. 

And yes, we used to pay way more to go on a cruise back then and to be entertained with that, but yes, today’s entertainment is soooooo much worse...

I always liked entertainment on rccl , started cruising with them in late 80’s and I do think entertainment was better , one of our first cruises the entertainment was Al Martino who sang godfather song and many other hits and acdemdy award winner Red Buttons. But love ice shows , aqua show, pub performers and schooner bar piano players , we always can find some music we like. We also do other lines but normally come back to rccl for the entertainment, will try msc yacht next November. 

On 12/5/2018 at 7:41 PM, cb at sea said:

I've never been a fan of "production" shows...but I've always thought their "guest" entertainers were, well....entertaining!  I'd prefer some rockin' bands personally!

Anthem has some of the best tribute bands and house bands I've ever heard on land or sea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

And so is CATS. 😁

I hope "Cats" is taken out before Oasis comes to NJ.  I saw it in NY and would have left if I wasn't with others.  Found out after, we were all thinking the same thing, but no one wanted to say anything.

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It takes seeing it twice to see the entire show....once for the first half and the second time for the second half.😉

Maybe more than twice if you account for the naps.

• Haha 1

I was on the Ovation for 9 nights in May.  I thought 8 of the shows were very good to excellent.  This was my second RCL and the other though it was several years ago, also had very good shows.  I have been on 1 Carnival 4 years ago and felt like their shows were inferior.

16 hours ago, George C said:

I always liked entertainment on rccl , started cruising with them in late 80’s and I do think entertainment was better , one of our first cruises the entertainment was Al Martino who sang godfather song and many other hits and acdemdy award winner Red Buttons. But love ice shows , aqua show, pub performers and schooner bar piano players , we always can find some music we like. We also do other lines but normally come back to rccl for the entertainment, will try msc yacht next November. 

I sat a bar on the promenade. It was dark in there and they had a cat up there playing a guitar singing nothing but country songs. Never went back as I am no fan of country music. But the country music lovers were whooping it up. That was their place to kick back and chill.....

I think we have bad luck with shows.  We are cruising in Jan on Harmony and the Headliner is a ventriloquist.  On Allure last cruise it was a juggler.

We seem to run into the headliners that aren't ones we would enjoy.  I don't know if it's because we cruise in January every year and in June/July as well.  We did luck out once on Allure with an Elton John impersonator, but other than that, we get the magicians and other non-musical groups.

PS  I am old and would LOVE to see a Journey tribute!!!!

9 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I think we have bad luck with shows.  We are cruising in Jan on Harmony and the Headliner is a ventriloquist.  On Allure last cruise it was a juggler.

We seem to run into the headliners that aren't ones we would enjoy.  I don't know if it's because we cruise in January every year and in June/July as well.  We did luck out once on Allure with an Elton John impersonator, but other than that, we get the magicians and other non-musical groups.

PS  I am old and would LOVE to see a Journey tribute!!!!

We saw what I consider a very good journey tribute band. Resurrection - can also be found by googling “not journey.com”.  Amazing. Saw them twice on jewel in 2916 and three times on anthem last October.