Cuban currency question

macman

We're booked in January 2019 and are planning to exchange Canadian money, but have no idea how much to exchange. Any recommendations? We plan to maybe get a drink, a souvenir.  What are prices like? Do we tip excursions using their currency?

Just back from a short cruise to Havana on another line.  Because of long security lines and lines to exchange  US dollars for the Cuban tourist pesos, called CUCs, and a short time to meet our tour, we didn't have an opportunity to get any CUCs.  We didn't have any problems either.  We were able to purchase some drinks at a hotel, buy some souvenirs, and tip our driver/guide all with US dollars. We also avoided the exchange fees.  We did keep the exchange rate in mind when spending US dollars, but the Cubans seemed happy to let us spend them at the official rate.  This worked for one day in Havana.  For longer stays, we would've exchanged for CUCs just to have more flexibilty.

The biggest holdup was the security screening by the Cuban officials when disembarking.  You would think that you were going to be boarding a flight.  Must be because of so many people trying to sneak into Cuba!

Although my Cuban cruise was 18 months ago, I found the currency exchange in the terminal to be very easy....about 10 windows were open.  It took less than 15 minutes to convert $100US into local money.

My surprise was that it was about a 7% charge.

When I had money left over at the end of the day, yep.....7% to exchange back.

David

P.S.  There was quite a long line at a bank 2 blocks away......presumably because they charged less.  Also, I believe that the Cubans could take US dollars.....and calculate their own conversion ratio.

Edited by DAllenTCY

We cruised on Viking last December to Cuba.  We didn't get any CUC's, but then we're not big shoppers and also we were on Viking's excursions, which meant just about everything was taken care of.  There were a few opportunties to shop, and I did that once in Havana at an indoor market, and once in a small outdoor market on the way from Havana to Cienfuegos on a rest stop.  Both places, U.S. was accepted.  I think I used a credit card for the first situation and cash for the second, but I forget.  I'm not sure how much extra was charged to cover conversion, and I also don't have any idea if the same places would have accepted CAD.  However, the prices were reasonable and I didn't mind what I paid, so I just paid.  I guess I'm posting to alert you that it may be possible to just go and just not worry too much about having CUCs.  

We just returned from an Oceania cruise visiting 3 ports in Cuba. We changed our US dollars to Cuban CUC 's right at the port, it is quick, there is the surcharge. We did a private tour and paid in CUC , we also tipped in CUC. We asked before hand how much a nice lunch might be- I was told between 10- 20 CUC, so we got enough CUC to cover lunch, or a drink each day if we wanted .We had left over CUC in the last port (Havana ) and exchanged them back at the port. Havana had a couple of stores that said they took credit cards, the other ports, not at all.

We are cruising to Cuba with VO in Feb. and have booked all private, non Viking excursions.  All accept payment in USD which we will use for those tours.  For overall spending money, as we will be exploring on our own, we will be taking several hundred in Canadian dollars to convert as needed to CUC.

Edited by caviargal