Special dietary needs on NCL Getaway?

Freshycat

Hello, my family group of 14 is travelling on the NCL Getaway's Aug 18-27, 2019 Baltic Cruise. We have several and various food issues in our group: 

- My nephew (21) has a severe peanut allergy. He's used to handling it and travels with an epi pen. 

- My DH is gluten sensitive.

- Several members are sometime vegetarians.

- Several members are lactose intolerant.  

- My sister is an organic foodie.

The only real medical concern is the peanut allergy, but dealing with the other options would greatly enhance everybody's enjoyment of the cruise. On the other hand, we don't want to cause a big headache for the staff and don't want a lot of special meals made (especially because they are sometimes awful). Is there clear food labelling? Does anybody have tips on how to handle it that will make it easiest on us and the staff? I booked directly through NCL online and didn't use a travel agent. Should I call them up now or wait until we're onboard to deal with it? 

Also, does anybody know the policy for bringing food onboard? My DH loves his coffee but usually drinks it with lactose-free cream. If we can find some in Copenhagen I'd like to bring it onboard. (I found the policy that says no food aboard to store in their kitchen, but we could put the LF cream in our mini-fridge.)

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Edited by Freshycat
Typos & additions.

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

You should call ahead of time, they will note it on your reservation and someone will meet with you the day you board, if you eat in the MDR for lunch, usually there. I think only organic will be the only one with issues.

Thank you! 

3 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Here is the email/phone # for the folks you would want to talk to about special needs and to get permission to bring your liquids on board.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#accessible-cruising

That's very helpful, thank you! I will be calling them asap.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received an email and they only allow prepackaged, non-perishable snacks to be brought on board. Definitely get a hold of them to have it noted. They have you fill out a form for each passenger affected and want you to meet with the Restaurant Manager upon embarkation.  

On 12/6/2018 at 7:24 AM, Freshycat said:

Thank you! 

That's very helpful, thank you! I will be calling them asap.

For the peanut allergy, you must call the access number. 

Onboard, you must coordinate EACH meal at least 24 hours in advance. 

If you show up “unannounced” the restaurant can and will refuse service if they can not guarantee your safety. Your safety is more important than your hunger. 

All special meals are prepared in a separate galley. And they will sequence foods to ensure dietary needs are met. 

The organic foodie may have to live with non-organic (gasp) food for a week. 

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

For the peanut allergy, you must call the access number. 

Onboard, you must coordinate EACH meal at least 24 hours in advance. 

If you show up “unannounced” the restaurant can and will refuse service if they can not guarantee your safety. Your safety is more important than your hunger. 

All special meals are prepared in a separate galley. And they will sequence foods to ensure dietary needs are met. 

The organic foodie may have to live with non-organic (gasp) food for a week. 

Is this specific to peanut allergies? We always ordered dd’s breakfast the night before at dinner, and she was able to show up at venues unplanned and just order food from the menu that was gluten free.

I have several dietary intolerances (not allergies though they can have unpleasant consequences) and found NCL excellent at handling them. This was on the Jade and the Jewel. They allocated a special diets waiter to take your orders the night before for the next days dinner, we were able to dine safely in any restaurant this way. You need to contact the special needs people, they will send a form to fill out. On the first day of the cruise contact the maitre’d and outline the issues. I usually try to do this on the first lunch in the main dining room. I would recommend against eating in the buffet in the case of peanut allergy. I was able to eat breakfast in most venues as I eat a very simple breakfast, but the risk of cross contamination would be high in most breakfast places for allergies except for the main dining room. I would not risk room service. 

I'm on a different ncl ship now with my PA son. They have been asking at every meal if there are any allergies in the group. They are being overly cautious (in a good way). They told him not to eat the bread basket because of breads with seeds, and brought him separate Italian bread. So far so good, but I'm impressed that they automatically ask.