Freshycat

Special dietary needs on NCL Getaway?

Hello, my family group of 14 is travelling on the NCL Getaway's Aug 18-27, 2019 Baltic Cruise. We have several and various food issues in our group: 

- My nephew (21) has a severe peanut allergy. He's used to handling it and travels with an epi pen. 

- My DH is gluten sensitive.

- Several members are sometime vegetarians.

- Several members are lactose intolerant.  

- My sister is an organic foodie.

The only real medical concern is the peanut allergy, but dealing with the other options would greatly enhance everybody's enjoyment of the cruise. On the other hand, we don't want to cause a big headache for the staff and don't want a lot of special meals made (especially because they are sometimes awful). Is there clear food labelling? Does anybody have tips on how to handle it that will make it easiest on us and the staff? I booked directly through NCL online and didn't use a travel agent. Should I call them up now or wait until we're onboard to deal with it? 

Also, does anybody know the policy for bringing food onboard? My DH loves his coffee but usually drinks it with lactose-free cream. If we can find some in Copenhagen I'd like to bring it onboard. (I found the policy that says no food aboard to store in their kitchen, but we could put the LF cream in our mini-fridge.)

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Edited by Freshycat
Typos & additions.

You should call ahead of time, they will note it on your reservation and someone will meet with you the day you board, if you eat in the MDR for lunch, usually there. I think only organic will be the only one with issues.

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

You should call ahead of time, they will note it on your reservation and someone will meet with you the day you board, if you eat in the MDR for lunch, usually there. I think only organic will be the only one with issues.

Thank you! 

3 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Here is the email/phone # for the folks you would want to talk to about special needs and to get permission to bring your liquids on board.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#accessible-cruising

That's very helpful, thank you! I will be calling them asap.