Water colour art classes on Ventura

Zombatar

We are off for a month on Ventura in January. As there are a lot of sea days I have wondered about attending the art classes. Has anyone been to them at all and if so what are they like?     I don't need to worry about materials as I shall take my own but it would be a bit pointless if the classes are not up to much. I did find an old thread on here about this but as it was from 2015 I didn't think it would be relevant any more. 

Peter

I went to them on Aurora two Christmas’s ago. Great fun. Very very popular (get there early for a seat and table space...) and a good opportunity to get friends.  (I’d love to meet ‘Julie’ again on a future cruise...) 

Not sure where they hold it on Ventura, but on Aurora it was in the Crows Nest... we were squeezed into a far too small corner. One day P&O tried to give us a bigger area, but some guy complained that we were too noisy near the bar area where he sat (!) so we were moved back to the smaller corner (miserable g*t 😉 )  Ours were held twice every sea day (repeated pm from am) but even then both sessions were apparently packed. I did the afternoon slots. 

Our tutor was excellent. He could teach the beginners/almost beginners, but also give advice to those with experience (and politely not get annoyed by the so called experienced passengers who thought they knew better than the tutor...) 

At the end end of the cruise, the tutor held a display of a few pictures from everyone which anyone could go and view (held in a main corridor.). Ensure yours are well named, I heard of at least one which went ‘missing’. I saw several people keeping guard over theirs... 

I suggest you take a board to attach your paper to (or use a hardback pad) . If space is a premium, it means you’re not so reliant on a large table area... 

Go, and enjoy 🙂 

GBM

P.s. each day, we’d receive an A4 drawing, which we’d trace or copy onto watercolour paper.  The tutor would then demo how to complete the painting one step at a time. This was great for everyone, as those with little experience (or none) could copy the tutor step by step.  Those with experience could add their own mark to the drawing/painting.   A few paintings were completed over two days, most were completed in one session.  

I've never partaken myself but have heard lots from fellow travellers. 

It is hugely variable and depends largely on the teacher and space available. 

I'm sure I've seen in notices that art materials are available for purchase, but couldn't say anything about their quality. 

On one cruise the venue was shared with 'Knit and Natter'. The art teacher kept trying to shush the nattering but was pointed towards the programme which explicitly said the group was for crafts and chat. A microphone had been provided but he refused to use it! 

Just back off Ventura and my son attended the art class on each sea day cost £21 for his kit, they did a morning and afternoon session in Metropolis. The instructor was very good and has written some books, my son really enjoyed it 

On Ventura, the art classes are held in the Metropolis bar, AM same lesson repeated PM. The class is for one hour, but get there a half hour early to sort out seating, distribution of materials etc. The class usually overuns, depending on the tutor. If you are taking your own materials don't bother to take a watercolour pad as very good quality (140lb Windsor& Newton) can be bought from the tutor very cheaply compared to prices at home. I've experienced 6 different tutors and they were all professional artists whose work can be seen on the internet. Excellent classes and of course free if you have brought your own stuff.