2020 Itineraries?

Roz

Thanks, Acwmom.  I did a little poking around and it looks like Gate 1, Viking, and Crystal have the most 2020 itineraries available to book.

Roz

I would assume that everyone who is doing one has Oberammergau itineraries published, but not necessarily all of 2020. The best thing to do is to get yourself on everyone's email list, and you will be among the first to know.

Scenic has now published their 2020 itineraries on their web site. Note that most of the itineraries are labelled "Sneak Peek 2020" which implies (to me at least) that it's just advance notice, and they're not actually open for booking. But don't be fooled by that the way I almost was. It turns out that "Sneak Peek" doesn't have any actual significance that I can figure out; the cruises can be booked right now. I just booked a 2020 cruise this morning, and some of the limited cabins (e.g., Royal suites) are already sold out on some of the cruises.

23 hours ago, DougK said:

Scenic has now published their 2020 itineraries on their web site. Note that most of the itineraries are labelled "Sneak Peek 2020" which implies (to me at least) that it's just advance notice, and they're not actually open for booking. But don't be fooled by that the way I almost was. It turns out that "Sneak Peek" doesn't have any actual significance that I can figure out; the cruises can be booked right now. I just booked a 2020 cruise this morning, and some of the limited cabins (e.g., Royal suites) are already sold out on some of the cruises.

Not all of the 2020 cruises are available yet.  The Danube one I want is not open so far.  I'll keep checking. 

• 3 weeks later...

I chatted with Avalon Waterways about one this week.  She referred me to one of the cruise consultants that's arranging an advanced quote/deposit for me so I can be assured of a spot (we want to go on the Tulips and Beer cruise specifically).  Right now, she knows it will be the first part of April, but not what ship.  If there's one you want in particular, you may be able to talk to the cruise line you want to take and do something similar.

I may call my TA on Monday or email her.  Sometimes her agency has a Uniworld night before the next year's itineraries are released, and they offer extra incentives to book.  I noticed AMA has had their 2020 itineraries out for a couple of months.

Roz

On 12/14/2018 at 4:06 PM, DougK said:

Have you been on Scenic before? I did a 7 day Danube with Viking in 2018, but am trying Scenic this year(Rhine in May) mainly due to the all-inclusiveness and the bikes. I will compare the two and then decide which one I would choose for another cruise in 2020.

On 1/5/2019 at 3:41 PM, skleeb said:

Have you been on Scenic before? I did a 7 day Danube with Viking in 2018, but am trying Scenic this year(Rhine in May) mainly due to the all-inclusiveness and the bikes. I will compare the two and then decide which one I would choose for another cruise in 2020.

We were on a Scenic Jewels of Europe (15 day) cruise this September. It was impacted (as pretty much every cruise this fall was) by low water levels, requiring a ship swap and missing daylight cruising through the Wachau valley, but was still a fabulous time. Enough to convince us to book for 2020.

Note that the bikes are really designed for casual riders. The e-bike setup means that the bikes are quite heavy, and they're kinda odd with small-ish wheels. And, of course, no toe clips. So going up even pretty modest hills is pretty difficult unless you use quite a bit of electric boost. But they're still a nice option to take out for a little sightseeing. During our unscheduled extra day's stay in Regensburg, I used one to go about 15 miles total to visit the Walhalla monument.

There was definitely a scheduled bike excursion from Melk to Durnstein, which I signed up for. Unfortunately, that was when we were having low water problems and swapping ships, and that excursion was forced to be scrapped. I think there may have been one or two other bike excursions, but I don't remember because I know I didn't sign up for them. It should be noted that going out "on your own" is a bit of a misnomer because of the Scenic Tailormade device, which has information about various sites of interest, along with maps, all keyed by GPS. It's not the most perfect solution for biking--rather than just cruising along, I found myself having to stop to check the map, but it did have good information, and pointed out sights I would have otherwise missed. It's kinda interesting to be riding along and suddenly have the device start talking to you about a site you're passing.

Great info. Sounds right up my alley. I will be traveling alone, so having a 'guide' will be a comfort. 

4 hours ago, DougK said:

There was definitely a scheduled bike excursion from Melk to Durnstein, which I signed up for. Unfortunately, that was when we were having low water problems and swapping ships, and that excursion was forced to be scrapped. I think there may have been one or two other bike excursions, but I don't remember because I know I didn't sign up for them. It should be noted that going out "on your own" is a bit of a misnomer because of the Scenic Tailormade device, which has information about various sites of interest, along with maps, all keyed by GPS. It's not the most perfect solution for biking--rather than just cruising along, I found myself having to stop to check the map, but it did have good information, and pointed out sights I would have otherwise missed. It's kinda interesting to be riding along and suddenly have the device start talking to you about a site you're passing.