Hilo

tcworld

THERE IS A 50% CHANCE OF RAIN EVERYDAY. This is the rain forest side of the big island.

This is where you can book an excursion through the ship and see Volcano national park.

If you don’t want to book an excursion, go to Kalanignaoloe  st  and you can catch the “Hele” bus to ride around the city for $1.00. Or you can catch the Wal-Mart shuttle which will take you downtown for free. You can pick up cheap souvenirs there also. It will bring you back to the ship too for free! Hilo is not a good beach place due to rain.  You can also see the Pacific Tsunami Museum.

Tuesday–Saturday, 10 am–4 pm Admission

General: $8.00
Seniors and Kama‛aina: $7.00
Children (ages 6-17): $4.00
Toddlers (ages 5 & under): Free

Some things to see is Rainbow falls, Kilauea volcano, lava tubes.

I love the Hilo side of the island of Hawaii.  I don't think walking from the port is great but not to far is Onekahakaha Beach Park with great swimming, shade, and a path along the shore.  Possibly if you do not want to go into Hilo you can get a taxi to a spot where you want to spend the day.  I think there is a convenience store across from the port that may have items for a pic nic.  If I remember correctly, when ships are in port there is a complimentary shuttle into Hilo where you can go to the Farmers market, walk through Lili'uokalani Park & Gardens.  There are a couple good restaurants that look out to Hilo Bay.   I have recently had some great beach days in Hilo and at VNP but it is a tropical island and a 50% chance of rain could mean that it rains from 10pm to 5 am, so it does not necessarily mean that it will rain the entire time you want to do something.  I hope you enjoy your visit to Hilo.  Cherie 

Hilo is a very quaint little town. Lots of touristy things to do but if that's not you cup of tea, then just spend whatever part of the way you want just walking around and enjoying Hilo town. The Farmers Market is a fun stop. They are open everyday but Wednesday and Saturday are the big days. 

hilofarmersmarket(dot)com

A stop at Moonstruck Patisserie right next to the Farmers Market on Furneaux Lane is highly recommended. 

1 hour ago, tcworld said:

Thanks for the info everyone.  We are sailing next week.  We are excited!

Did you receive an email from NCL about the NaPali coast? Just wanting to know if it’s still being canceled Due to life boat maintenance? We sail on the following week after you. Thanks for any info you might have.Due to life boat maintenance? We sail on the following week after you. Thanks for any info you might have.

14 hours ago, clover18 said:

Did you receive an email from NCL about the NaPali coast? Just wanting to know if it’s still being canceled Due to life boat maintenance? We sail on the following week after you. Thanks for any info you might have.Due to life boat maintenance? We sail on the following week after you. Thanks for any info you might have.

We are sailing on the Emerald Princess not NCL.  We didn't receive any such email.