Resort Casual from the horse's mouth

judy&steve

This is from the Baltimore Sun this morning. There is a big article about resortwear and this was a sidebar concerning resort casual:

Pinehurst defines 'resort casual'

Going on a winter getaway and need fashion help? Here are a few tips from North Carolina's Pinehurst Resort, rated "No. 1 U.S. Golf Resort in the World" last year by Travel + Leisure Golf magazine, and site of the 2005 U.S. Open Championship:

Resort casual generally means collared shirts for men (golf shirts, casual shirts).

With the exception of our pool areas and our Beach Club, we prefer closed-toed shoes.

We prefer casual slacks and shorts [with hems lower] than your fingertips as a general rule.

No jeans are permitted in our upscale dining outlets. They are allowed in our casual dining outlets.

We highly suggest casual sports coats, but do not require a tie, for our upscale dining outlets at dinnertime.

All resort guests should have a wrap to cover bathing suits while walking through the interior of the hotel

They are really specific about everything, aren't they? I especially love the non-open-toed shoes. Not.

I don't know what kind of resort the above is, but I don't think I would like to stay at a place where they dictate how long one's shorts can be!

Judy

I think they might be referring to closed toe shoes for MEN??

Sounds like most of the rules were for men anyway.

On another note, I was watching some show on the Fine Living channel and they were doing a segment on golf apparel and they said that most golf places were pretty strict on dress codes.

I agree, I think the closed toe shoe request was for men. It's a little like tank tops in a cruise ship dining room, the request is for men there, too.

Actually, the resort casual explanation was exactly how I would have interpreted it. No big surprises for me.

I've stayed and played golf at Pinehurst Resort. It has hosted many US Opens and is home to one of the best golf courses in the world.

That said, Pinehurst is a little formal. My golf shorts had to be regulation length which I think is 18 inches long and my golf shirt could not be sleeveless. I don't think men are allowed to play golf in shorts either.

I like the fact that they are so specific. I appreciate that, except they should write for men on the "closed toe shoe" part. As I took it for women as well as for men as did Jane.

The fact that it is all spelled out is great. It's not about if an idividual agrees with their requirements, it's there so we can make a choice if we want to dress that way.

No room for personal interpretation or error. Now it is up to each individual who considers going there to decide if they want to conform or not.

LOL. This is too funny.

Golf Courses...even non-resort ones have a dress code very similar to this just to GOLF! Shorts length is VERY VERY important when it comes to golfing.

Try and picture the last time you saw a Professional Golfer on TV....he is lining up his shot and checking the green. What position were they in? And then when they reach for their golf ball in the cup. What about that position?

Hopefully those images let you understand why shorts length is important on a golf course for modesty's sake.

How long/short the shorts could be brought back memories of making sure my dresses were long enough. Does anyone else remember kneeling on the floor to make sure your dress was the "proper" length?

Nope, but I do remember when cheerleading skirts had to come down to your fists (when standing with arms straight down at sides) and we also had to wear real tops that covered our navels...*gasp*

How long/short the shorts could be brought back memories of making sure my dresses were long enough. Does anyone else remember kneeling on the floor to make sure your dress was the "proper" length?

Oh, yeah, and with Sister Mary Attilla the Hun standing there with a seamripper in her hand, just itching to lower your hem to the regulation length. We used to roll our skirts up at the waist band to make them shorter, but usually ended up looking like we were wearing an innertube under our sweaters.

I agree, although I don't wear heals, all of it sounds fine except for the toe closed shoes at a summer resort? I don't think so.

I don't understand about the closed toe shoes either. The shorts make sense-the hotel just wants tasteful dress- just think about it- after seeing a lot of women in such shorts and even overweight young girls in short shorts who were doing THEMSELVES a dis service by wearing those short shorts-well I like that rule.

But closed toe shoes? I do know when working retail this is required but this is a safety requirement-less injuries-I do not know why a hotel would require that of their clientale.

As many of you have already posted there are plenty of attractive and tasteful open toed shoes and dress sandals out there.

I think someone said it was for men, which is ok I suppose and makes a bit of sense and men don't have the dress open toe shoes like women and a pair of sandels and a sport jacket will look a bit off but I think they should say it's for men. I would have misunderstood as did a couple others I think.

As for the shorts, I think one poster said it was for "golf reasons" and while I don't play golf I see her point completely also.

It's not about size in my opinion, in my personal opinion, short shorts on any lady no matter how perfect her body after the teenage years is not what I call conservative and from the sound of it they want an ultra conservative look which is also fine.

I didn't realize that that was the reason for "retail" shops, but makes sense, learned something this am - thank you, as I always wondered why it was required when working in fashion.

I think it's great when it's all spelled out like that. I can really appreciate it because then in my opinion a person can make a choice to go and knows exactly what to bring, makes packing easier in my opinion.

Archived