Ovation of the seas has turned around. Any idea why?

Ovation of the seas was due into Dunedin tomorrow morning but turned around about an hour ago and is heading back towards Christchurch.

Weather looks fine with 1 to 2m swells. Does anyone know what is happening?

Gosh, a mystery ... how intriguing. Have you seen the youtube clip...things cruise companies will never tell you. Tells you all  these things that can go wrong. Could be a small ship in trouble.

You must be arriving sydney wednesday, when I am getting on. Hope you get back😂

I'm not on board. My wife is cruising with her Mother and I've been keeping track of their ship on Marine Tracker. There were no smaller ships on the (re)route they took. As I said, they are now retracing their exact path but I don'tthink it would be a man overboard as they are travelling at 10 knots. I think if it was an issue like that they would be going a lot slower.

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 10.29.55 PM.png

Oh ok now I know..they are just circling to use up time. Ships have to do this so as not to get to port to early. They are booked for a pilot at a certain time and cannot get there early. Tracking your wife...good grief. Go to bed and stop worrying. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think if you looked at most ships past tracks you would find something like this happens at some stage .. From Auckland to , for instance , Bay of Islands or Tauranga  , it is only a 3 hour run , but they all take overnight to do it......they either slow down or do  a few long slow circles.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

6 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Ive never seen so many boats in Milford before. Must be high season. Ovation must have gone incognito,:classic_biggrin:

The number of vessels had me perplexed as well, so I checked a little deeper. If you overlay ships' names, you see they're all named "Sat-Ais", not actual passenger vehicles. No idea what they are - some kind of beacon maybe??

Fullscreen capture 09122018 194514.bmp.jpg

2 hours ago, boeckli said:

The number of vessels had me perplexed as well, so I checked a little deeper. If you overlay ships' names, you see they're all named "Sat-Ais", not actual passenger vehicles. No idea what they are - some kind of beacon maybe??

Interesting.

Yeah; we had The Carnival Spirit; doing doughnuts out at sea back in June. The cruise Director said, doughnut's during his late afternoon announcements. he said it was to fill in time for the pilot charter next morning at Airlie beach. We had done some-thing similar coming into Darwin also. 

He reckon's it was after the re-fit, with a new hull coating, the ship was going up to 5% faster/efficent??