Table for two please

juliet

We'd prefer to dine alone most of the time.  Is there a problem on Riviera, in the MDR or specialty restaurants, finding a table for two at all times?   A friend said she and her husband had to argue with the maitre d one time.  TIA

• Like 1

My wife and I always want to dine just the two of us. We've been on the Marina (twice) and the Riviera (once), for 12 to 16 day cruises, and have always gotten tables for two, both in the MDR (lunches and dinners) and the specialty restaurants. We've never had the slightest problem with any of the maitre 'd's in this regard.

• Like 2

Sometimes  when it is very busy  2 tops can be scarce (similar to popular land restaurants)

but if you are willing to wait  they will get one for you ..eventually

Sometimes the Maitre'D  will suggest sharing  so you are not waiting a long time  for a 2 top

Specialties  when you book online  just  check the box  for NO SHARING

• Like 1

We often go to the GDR at 7:15-7:30 and get a table for two even when we prefer to share! No one else is around coming in then. So they put us at a 4 top and clear away 2 of the place settings. So a table for two can be a 4 top, not necessarily a 2 top, thus dramatically increasing the number of tables for two. 

Stranest was they they put us on a 6 top for a sharing table and no one came in! After ordering drinks and waiting about 15-20 minutes without anyone coming in they took our orders and that 6 top became a 2 top! We had already received our first course when another group came in, so they started them at a different table. A lot of options occur when one doesn’t show up within the first 15 -20 minutes or so of the doors opening!

Our experience has been similar and different ... we usually prefer to share but it hasn't been unusual for us to end up at a two-top.  They told us this is because they don't want to start a larger table when only two people are there.  I certainly have never had Pinot's experience of waiting a while and then they clear the table.  (I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying it hasn't happened to US.)

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Sometimes  when it is very busy  2 tops can be scarce (similar to popular land restaurants)

but if you are willing to wait  they will get one for you ..eventually

Sometimes the Maitre'D  will suggest sharing  so you are not waiting a long time  for a 2 top

Specialties  when you book online  just  check the box  for NO SHARING

If you're in lower level cabins, by the time your online reservation window opens, checking "no sharing" significantly limits the time choices with most 2s available only after 8 pm.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you're in lower level cabins, by the time your online reservation window opens, checking "no sharing" significantly limits the time choices with most 2s available only after 8 pm.

True but if you talk with a head waiter after boarding tables for two may be available as well as, based on our experience, additional specialty restaurant reservations.

Just now, Classiccruiser777 said:

True but if you talk with a head waiter after boarding tables for two may be available as well as, based on our experience, additional specialty restaurant reservations.

You often don't even need a headwaiter. Each morning, you can head down to the main deck (O ships) or Terrace Café (port side R ships) where a staff member handles changing and/or adding daily reservations. Depending on itinerary, you might also be able to get extra future days as well. Of course, the tightest schedules are on sea days.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Have not  had too many issues  I just choose another night  with early slots  & 2 tops

we usually choose 6:30pm 

People do seem to continue to ignore the fact that not all tables are gone with online reservations.  They hold back a certain number for those people who will board who do NOT have internet capability or who are not members of CC ... which is most people, I think.

Yes, booking online if you are closer to departure time (i.e. not in a top suite) bookings for your preferred time slot can be gone.  But that does not mean that ALL are gone.  As has been said, go to the places that have been suggested upon boarding to see what is available.  That's what the non-internet passengers do, after all.

On Riviera, because we upgraded to PH3, we always had window table-2 in GDR on OUR non-specialty nights (probably helped that we eat EARLY).

That was our 1st O trip, but will not be last.  However, I regret not trying the Terrace Cafe for dinner after a couple dishes in GDR were rather meh.  Terrace Cafe was great for lunch.

GOOD LUCK

6 minutes ago, greydog said:

On Riviera, because we upgraded to PH3, we always had window table-2 in GDR

Not sure it is because of your cabin status

we are in the lower Cabin Ct & have gotten window seats 

57 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Not sure it is because of your cabin status

we are in the lower Cabin Ct & have gotten window seats 

Hi - not trying to be argumentative, I presume your 'frequenter O loyalty level' may be in play, at least I would hope it would matter - you earned it. 😉

59 minutes ago, greydog said:

Hi - not trying to be argumentative, I presume your 'frequenter O loyalty level' may be in play, at least I would hope it would matter - you earned it. 😉

Status (and being in OVO cabins) helps but the key is being there early when window 2 tops are still available - they will not deny seating you at one of those as reservations are not honored in the MDR.

Edited by Paulchili

There's a number of things that go into play when getting preferred seating in the MDR. One of them not mentioned is rapport with the Host or Hostess. This is why I always let my wife talk to them. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, greydog said:

IME

Even before  they asked room numbers  they would seat us at a window

The Maitre'D  probably did not know our  O status   which was  not  that many cruises  or high cabin Cat

Just saying

Now they ask your cabin number  so if  a B cabin is high  status  I guess that works for  select  seating :classic_unsure:

Maybe some people  who sail on lines where status is everything  it may work that way 

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

IME

Even before  they asked room numbers  they would seat us at a window

The Maitre'D  probably did not know our  O status   which was  not  that many cruises  or high cabin Cat

Just saying

Now they ask your cabin number  so if  a B cabin is high  status  I guess that works for  select  seating :classic_unsure:

Maybe some people  who sail on lines where status is everything  it may work that way 

It does, quietly, work that way on O and always has.

I'm not at all sure that you are right, Orchestrapal.  Even when we've been in a top suite (a VS or OC, not an OS) we've been placed at tables we didn't want.  For example, we don't want to dine alone but fairly often we've had to -- there weren't others in line at the time who wanted to share, and they have always made it clear they don't want to start a larger table with only two people if others aren't wanting to share as well.

Sure, they know who we are.  They know our suite number.  But that doesn't mean we get extra service when waiting for a table.

Just MY perception.

Mura

There are limits to what the Restaurant Captains can accomplish.

Table location is entirely within their purview, the dining companion preferences of their clientele are not.  

They absolutely try to accommodate everyone, but when demand exceeds supply....

Suivez l'argent.  

11 hours ago, Mura said:

I'm not at all sure that you are right, Orchestrapal.  Even when we've been in a top suite (a VS or OC, not an OS) we've been placed at tables we didn't want.  For example, we don't want to dine alone but fairly often we've had to -- there weren't others in line at the time who wanted to share, and they have always made it clear they don't want to start a larger table with only two people if others aren't wanting to share as well.

Sure, they know who we are.  They know our suite number.  But that doesn't mean we get extra service when waiting for a table.

Just MY perception.

Mura

Just our past experience and we’ll see how things are  on our next O cruise. Either way we look forward to being on Riviera however they now handle seating.

In the GDR, eating alone is not a problem! In those rare circumstances when all the two tops are taken, after a short wait to evaluate all table availability the maitre de will usually put wanting to eat alone on a four top and clear the other two places. Problem solved.

In my experience, the busiest night in the GDR is Embarkment Day. For multiple reasons, many prefer not to make Specialties reservations on that evening thus increasing the crowd there beyond normal levels. Therefore, if you want to dine alone and can’t be or aren’t there near opening, it may be a good evening to dine in the Terrace ( if not a Specialties). JMO.

After Day 1, the approximate numbers given to me by Senior Staff is that slightly depending upon cruise that each evening about 40% of the passengers eat in one of the Specialties, including La Reserve and Privee on those ships. An additional 15-20% eat in suite via Room Service or Butler en-suite dining. A small percentage doesn’t eat dinner at all. That leaves typically less than 40% of the passengers that eat in either the GDR or the Terrace. The GDR is capable of accommodating all of those alone, but of course many choose the Terrace. On longer cruises, demand for a Specialties reservation drops off sharply, but not enough to affect capacities elsewhere.

Long story short, eating alone is not an issue.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:19 PM, Mura said:

People do seem to continue to ignore the fact that not all tables are gone with online reservations.  They hold back a certain number for those people who will board who do NOT have internet capability or who are not members of CC ... which is most people, I think.

Yes, booking online if you are closer to departure time (i.e. not in a top suite) bookings for your preferred time slot can be gone.  But that does not mean that ALL are gone.  As has been said, go to the places that have been suggested upon boarding to see what is available.  That's what the non-internet passengers do, after all.

OP: If all else fails, just politely tell the maitre d' that you are a "friend of Johnny Tokyo."

Good luck. I have had both experiences.  Got on line, got table for 2 without a problem.  I have also been on cruises where I could only get a shared table in the specialty restaurants. Each cruise has different people who have different preferences.  If you cannot get a reservation online, don't worry. On embarkation day, go to concierge area. There will be sombody reserving tables. There are some people who do not use computers. Relax.  It will be ok.  Mdr always has tables for 2.  We have met some nice people sharing a table. Be open to sharing if need be.