Price of drinks in refrigerator

Tom O.

I searched everywhere trying to find the cost of soda and beer that are kept in the room refrigerator. I could not find the prices on any of Roger Jet's wonderful web site of HAL menus.

Is the price of soda and beer out of the fridge the same as the price on the room service menu? If not, what is the price for items out of the fridge?

I just noticed that the 6 pack of Heineken I pre-ordered for $37.50 is higher per beer than if I just ordered each beer off the room service menu. The room service menu has a price of $5.75 per beer, that works out to $34.50 for a six pack. So I think I will cancel that Heineken package.

• Like 1

My hubby is a beer drinker. We go to a happy hour bar and buy 5 at whatever they cost ($5.75?), get the next 5 for 2.00 each.  And clear out the mini bar and fill it with beer. I believe the mini bar and the price of beer and soda are the same as at a bar..I think.

Edited by dee2673

25 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

just noticed that the 6 pack of Heineken I pre-ordered for $37.50 is higher per beer than if I just ordered each beer off the room service menu.

The price on-line includes the 15% service charge, and the room service menu does not. It will be added, so 6 Heineken from the mini-bar or room service will cost $39.68.

3* and higher discounts apply to the mini-bar, but not room service.

Here is Roger's price list scan from May 2016

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Minibar-Price-List.pdf

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, catl331 said:

The price on-line includes the 15% service charge, and the room service menu does not. It will be added.

Here is Roger's price list scan from May 2016

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Minibar-Price-List.pdf

Thanks, that is what I needed. I could not find that menu on his web page. I think the prices are still good, because the price of Heineken is still current.

Also I understand now the price difference for a 6 pack.  But I was thinking there would be some sort of savings buying the six pack. If it is the same price, then I will cancel my pre-order and just drink beers out of the fridge or order room service.

1 hour ago, Tom O. said:

Thanks, that is what I needed. I could not find that menu on his web page. I think the prices are still good, because the price of Heineken is still current.

Also I understand now the price difference for a 6 pack.  But I was thinking there would be some sort of savings buying the six pack. If it is the same price, then I will cancel my pre-order and just drink beers out of the fridge or order room service.

Unless I'm misreading catl331's post, you'll be saving $2.18 by leaving your order in place.

56 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Unless I'm misreading catl331's post, you'll be saving $2.18 by leaving your order in place.

You are right, I finally actually did the math. $2.18 is not a big difference, but I can't figure out how to cancel it anyway. I will leave the order as is.

I am currently on Rotterdam.  Here is the list of in-room beverage prices:

Miniature liquors … $5.50

Miller Lite aluminum … $7

Heineken .. $6.75

Wine (187 ml) … $8

Sparkling wine (187 ml) … $9.50

Evian water (1 liter) … $5

Perrier water … $3.75

Soft drinks … $2.25

Red Bull … $5

Dave

Interesting that Heineken (a premium beer) is cheaper than a Miller Light. Could it be that the Heineken is considered a “local beer” (brewed in Holland) while the Miller Light is considered an import?  🙂  😄

DD

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RetiredMustang said:

I am currently on Rotterdam.  Here is the list of in-room beverage prices:

Miniature liquors … $5.50

Miller Lite aluminum … $7

Heineken .. $6.75

Wine (187 ml) … $8

Sparkling wine (187 ml) … $9.50

Evian water (1 liter) … $5

Perrier water … $3.75

Soft drinks … $2.25

Red Bull … $5

Dave

Is that off the room service menu or the Mini-Bar list? The price is probably the same whether it is room service or Mini-Bar. The beer prices are higher than what I found on the Room Service menu on Roger Jets site.

59 minutes ago, DoggyDaddy said:

Interesting that Heineken (a premium beer) is cheaper than a Miller Light. Could it be that the Heineken is considered a “local beer” (brewed in Holland) while the Miller Light is considered an import?  🙂  😄

DD

Yes I found that interesting too. I don't drink a lot of beer, but when I do, I prefer a beer with a lot of flavor. I won't touch lite beer. I would pay extra for Heineken over Miller. My favorite beer is Guinness, but I will only drink it if it is on tap.I have never seen Guinness on tap on any ship.

2 hours ago, Tom O. said:

Is that off the room service menu or the Mini-Bar list? The price is probably the same whether it is room service or Mini-Bar. The beer prices are higher than what I found on the Room Service menu on Roger Jets site.

It's the mini-bar list, so far as I can tell -- it's on a card hanging from a liter of Evian on the counter.  The room service menu in the orange booklet refers to the card in the back of the booklet for current prices, and of course the card is not there in our booklet.

Dave

Not about the little refrigerator, but still funny...

On our last sailaway, a guy came up and said, "Wow, I'd heard that cruise ships have a really big upcharge for liquor, but $37.00 for a beer!?" 

We just chuckled and said, "No, no...that's for the bucket!"  

😂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DoggyDaddy said:

DD

Most of the imports are 12 oz. while domestic are 16

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, bowsprit said:

Guinness is not beer, it is STOUT 🙂

Well ... stout is an ale, and many people call ales beer.  😄

Here is what wikipedia says about stout:

Stout is a dark beer. There are a number of variations, including Baltic portermilk stout, and imperial stout; but the most common variation is dry stout, as exemplified by Guinness Draught, the world's best-selling stout. Stout is a top-fermented beer.

12 minutes ago, bowsprit said:

To set the record straight.

"My favorite beer is Guinness"

Guinness is not beer, it is STOUT :)

From Wikipedia, "Stout is a dark beer. "

I believe I am the person you are thinking of. I used to have a website, that helped people with issues of privacy on balconies on Princess ships. The free service that provided me with access to a free website discontinued that service, so I had to abandon it. I still have the info stored on my computer. 

Yes, I am a librarian, now retired.

I used to do a lot of posting here, but haven't done so lately.

I used to cruise exclusively on Princess, but now cruise on HAL. Princess ships were getting too large for me. I prefer the size of HAL Vista Class ships.

• Like 2

A bartender told me the best way to purchase beer was at happy hour.  Order one and get the second for $2.  Order another beer at full price and get another one for $2.  Repeat as often as you wish, then ask for a bucket of ice to take the beers back to your room.

On Embarkation Day, I tell my Room Steward to have the minibar contents removed and two Diet Cokes for each day placed in the minibar with those not fitting just placed on my coffee table.  Works every time for Diet Coke so should work for beer as well.

FWIW my last two HAL cruises had a Louis X or Louis XIII cognac for $105/100 per shot (Not on the menu but you may request).  At happy hour, the second shot was just $2.......just in case you may be interested.

• Thanks 1