Price of drinks in refrigerator

Tom O.

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I’m wondering if we could have our fridge emptied and re-stocked with non-alcoholic beer and if we would still get the half price?

Good question since non-alcoholic beer is not on the minibar menu.

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

A bartender told me the best way to purchase beer was at happy hour.  Order one and get the second for $2.  Order another beer at full price and get another one for $2.  Repeat as often as you wish, then ask for a bucket of ice to take the beers back to your room.

The only problem with that is that the bartender on the Koningsdam insisted that they open all beers during happy hour!  "Sure, you can take as many as you want with you but I have to open them," he said.

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2018 at 5:12 PM, catl331 said:

And 3* get 25% off from the minibar.

However   It looks like only suites and above have a refer or a mini bar  from what I have seen....  at least on the ships I have sailed on....    

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

However   It looks like only suites and above have a refer or a mini bar  from what I have seen....  at least on the ships I have sailed on....    

Not true. On the Vista and larger ships, every cabin has a mini-bar. On the smaller ships, all cabins with a balcony have a mini-bar. The inside and outside cabins have a selection of sodas on the desk.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

Not true. On the Vista and larger ships, every cabin has a mini-bar. On the smaller ships, all cabins with a balcony have a mini-bar. The inside and outside cabins have a selection of sodas on the desk.

thanks Ruth.....  I am on Massadam...    they call  stuff with balcony suites..  I think

4 hours ago, Tom O. said:

I believe I am the person you are thinking of. I used to have a website, that helped people with issues of privacy on balconies on Princess ships.

Nice to see you Tom! Someone recently linked to a cruisedeckplans (I think?) page with your covered balcony data shown as a color key, so I was just thinking, "I haven't seen Tom O around!" 

Glad you are still cruising! We too have decided Vista ship is perfect for us. Switched a 28-day So.Pacific on Emerald Princess to one on the Oosterdam in fact.

Good informative thread and nice hat! I would have the steward empty your fridge and buy a couple buckets of beer (pay for 5 get 6, so 16% discount). Unless you are up to 3*/4* and then I think you can call to have the minibar re-stocked. Not sure you can get them to stock it just with Heineken as the "count" of each beverage is how they know what to charge you...

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

The only problem with that is that the bartender on the Koningsdam insisted that they open all beers during happy hour!  "Sure, you can take as many as you want with you but I have to open them," he said.

I would go try another bartender.  Never had a problem getting them "to go"

19 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Nice to see you Tom! Someone recently linked to a cruisedeckplans (I think?) page with your covered balcony data shown as a color key, so I was just thinking, "I haven't seen Tom O around!" 

Nice hearing from you too. I am doing an Alaska Land/Sea tour in  late August. I have never done a Land/Sea tour before. They were always too pricey for us, but now in our retirement we seem to be better off than ever before. I guess that is because our children are no longer dependent.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 12:30 PM, Crew News said:

A bartender told me the best way to purchase beer was at happy hour.  Order one and get the second for $2.  Order another beer at full price and get another one for $2.  Repeat as often as you wish, then ask for a bucket of ice to take the beers back to your room.

Yet another key insight from @Crew News

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, united4ever said:

New to HAL but on Koningsdam next week. When is happy hour and is it on every day or just certain days and times?

Every day from 4:00 - 5:00 in the Rolling Stone Rock Room and Billboard Bar.  There is also a Happy Hour at 10:00 PM in the Crows Nest.

Here is a link to my photo review of the Koningsdam to get you oriented to the ship:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-konigsdam-on-board

A related note: Will the room steward empty your minibar on the first day, at your request? We don't ever drink anything from the mini-fridge, but prefer to have it available for our own beverages. On X, the stewards will empty your fridge, and find a place to store the contents. Just wanted to know, in advance of our first HAL cruise -- thanks!!

36 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

A related note: Will the room steward empty your minibar on the first day, at your request? We don't ever drink anything from the mini-fridge, but prefer to have it available for our own beverages. On X, the stewards will empty your fridge, and find a place to store the contents. Just wanted to know, in advance of our first HAL cruise -- thanks!!

Ask your Room Steward who will send a member of the Beverge Staff to remove the contents of your minibar.  Actual removal may not happen until the morning after Embarkation Day.  Of course, you can remove the contents and place them on your desk until the Beverge Staff picks them up.

Tip:  bring some Ziploc bags for any Lido Market food items that you want to put in your minibar.  Sliced cheese from breakfast on a small saucer fits in a bag and the cheese will be fresh for your late snack. 

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

Every day from 4:00 - 5:00 in the Rolling Stone Rock Room and Billboard Bar.  There is also a Happy Hour at 10:00 PM in the Crows Nest.

Here is a link to my photo review of the Koningsdam to get you oriented to the ship:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-konigsdam-on-board

Thank you. That was extremely helpful. Good to see the wine packages and all the drinks menus.

24 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Ask your Room Steward who will send a member of the Beverge Staff to remove the contents of your minibar.  Actual removal may not happen until the morning after Embarkation Day.  Of course, you can remove the contents and place them on your desk until the Beverge Staff picks them up.

Tip:  bring some Ziploc bags for any Lido Market food items that you want to put in your minibar.  Sliced cheese from breakfast on a small saucer fits in a bag and the cheese will be fresh for your late snack. 

Thanks for the tip! One question: does the mini-fridge really keep food (like cheese/deli meats) cold enough to prevent spoilage? The mini-bars on X are barely cold enough to chill a beverage down. You certainly wouldn't want to trust something like a refrigerated medication in one.

2 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

Thanks for the tip! One question: does the mini-fridge really keep food (like cheese/deli meats) cold enough to prevent spoilage? The mini-bars on X are barely cold enough to chill a beverage down. You certainly wouldn't want to trust something like a refrigerated medication in one.

I measured the temps in the minibar with an infrared thermometer:  43 degress at the back and 46 degrees in the door.  Not as cold as a refrigerator but good enough for a few days for meats/cheese. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, united4ever said:

New to HAL but on Koningsdam next week. When is happy hour and is it on every day or just certain days and times?

I was on the Koningsdam in January. I have some photos from Happy Hour at Billboard Onboard....quite busy!  FYI, they have appies in Billboard as well! 

billboard1.jpg

billboard2.jpg

billboard3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Crew News said:

I measured the temps in the minibar with an infrared thermometer:  43 degress at the back and 46 degrees in the door.  Not as cold as a refrigerator but good enough for a few days for meats/cheese. 

Thanks for that info! But I suspect that the temps vary from fridge to fridge. Those hotel type refrigerators are made very cheaply - probably cost less than $100.

This is a bit off topic, but related to the mini-bar.  Has anyone requested a particular brand of beer for the refrigerator (one that is served at the bars on ship but not normally in the in-room mini-bar)?  We are staying in a Pinnacle suite so maybe this makes it more likely to get this kind of custom service?

30 minutes ago, Torquer said:

This is a bit off topic, but related to the mini-bar.  Has anyone requested a particular brand of beer for the refrigerator (one that is served at the bars on ship but not normally in the in-room mini-bar)?  We are staying in a Pinnacle suite so maybe this makes it more likely to get this kind of custom service?

If you are in a Pinnacle Suite, I would ask the concierge if it can be arranged.  I would like to think they would be happy to accommodate you.

Alternatively either order them from room service or hit a bar and stock your fridge if you want them handy if the former doesn’t work.  There’s no rule about what YOU put in your mini bar/fridge.  Lots of room if you are in a Vista or above class of ship in those large fridges in the PS 🙂