Around the Horn in 80 days.

rafinmd

My apologies to Jules Verne bit I just couldn’t resist the title.  Most of the recent Grand South America and Antarctica have been in the neighborhood of 70 days so I was particularly pleased that this one was extended.  I have had other winter priorities in recent years but was convinced I wanted to do this voyage sometime and guessed my time to do it was running out.  I think HAL may also have suspected this might be the final time for the Elegant Explorer and wanted to go out in style.

I expect several people to be reporting on this voyage; perhaps more this year than on the World Cruise.  In addition to this thread I expect Scrapnana will start one, and am convinced scluvsrain will contribute as well, either on her own thread or by enriching those of other people, as she is now doing the Nieuw Statendam.  

Things are now really getting close.  Unlike regular voyages, HAL sends REAL documents for Grand Voyages, and for those doing the full voyage offers a discounted luggage forwarding service.  I’ve had the doc folder for a while now and the luggage shipping labels arrived last night.

I wasn’t particularly happy with Fedex as the labels were simply dropped on my door step.

tags.JPG.270f16b410ad60dcb35249667dca482d.JPG

By the time they arrived I would normally have been inside for the night, and the labels could have been stolen or blown away before I went outside.  Fortunately it was my scout night and I found them before anything happened.

The bags are due to be picked up on the 17th.  They are mostly packed although I still have a few last minute changes to make.  Ten days until luggage pickup, 26 days until I leave home (2 Jan) and 4 weeks from today we sail.

bags1.JPG.09d4b6ab5c95aa217c07508997023e87.JPG

Roy

So nice, Roy 😄

Looking forward to hearing about this fabulous cruise.

You're on my favourite ship with an itinerary I just love.

Enjoy - it should be a blast and I will happily be following along and cruising vicariously through you.

• Thanks 1

As always, Roy, I am looking forward to your reports. I love the ship, and would love to be able to take this itinerary. Putting the two together is just the best possible cruise to me.
So, I will take it through your reports and pictures and be so happy to do so.

• Thanks 1

My luggage labels were dropped off in the same way - some time between 5 and 6 pm.  You are way ahead of me in packing, Roy.  I have not even brought in my suitcases from the shed although it is on my "to do" list for this weekend.

I will be writing a blog and also will start a "Live" thread (although pictures will only be on my blog).  Hopefully, others from our roll call will add to the "Live" thread.

Here is a link to my blog - https://2019halgv.blogspot.com/ .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scrapnana said:

My luggage labels were dropped off in the same way - some time between 5 and 6 pm.  You are way ahead of me in packing, Roy.  I have not even brought in my suitcases from the shed although it is on my "to do" list for this weekend.

I will be writing a blog and also will start a "Live" thread (although pictures will only be on my blog).  Hopefully, others from our roll call will add to the "Live" thread.

Here is a link to my blog - https://2019halgv.blogspot.com/ .

Looking forward to yours as well, Kathi.

And yours and Roy's blog.  Have a fantastic time on the Prinsendam. 😄 

And a joyous holiday season to you and Roy.  It should be fabulous on board.

WOW!!!!!!!

Again I get to read some wonderful blogs with my coffee each morning and seeing the pics Roy does of sunrises  each morning on his promenade walks!! Wish we could have done The Elegant Explorer!!

Hubby wanted Maui next year for a month so our cruise to the Med that Jacqui is doing won’t be😐

have a fantastic Voyage Roy, and I will look forward as I always have reading your reports!

Take care Roy

sincerely

Denise😊

• Thanks 1

Thank you all [especially to my future shipmates and those (Aliaschief, Sherita and POA1) who are giving me a cruise fix while I try to get read for 12 weeks away from home].

The heaviest bags are now on their way.  I was expecting Fedex between 1 and 4 today but the guy knocked on the door about 11:20 and I'm super glad I was ready.

Roy