Critical: Morning Coffee!

the_dylaness

Hello,

Coffee in the morning, in the room, in pajamas, and for me, in bed, is nearly as critical to continued life and well being as oxygen.

At home my husband brings my coffee to me in bed each morning.

Right now, I have a bunch of tiny half and half containers packed, so that should our coffee maker at tomorrow's hotel only have the dreadful powdered stuff, we'll be prepared.

In the past I have actually brought a coffee maker on a cruise (before I realized it was a fire hazard).

On larger ships my husband will usually don a baseball cap and head down to the coffee shop to bring me a delicious latte.

Room service coffee (if decent- we're not picky as long as it's not motor oil and there is real half and half) is ok but I don't like waiting 30 minutes.

I was a little surprised that Crystal Serenity last year did not allow for delivery of specialty coffee from their coffee shop to the room- so he had to go get it every morning.

Certainly a first world problem, but I'd like to know what to expect in terms of morning coffee service on Silversea.  I don't need a triple mocha frappuccino with extra whip and 3 pumps of hazelnut pumpkin spice (ick) but a latte would never be a bad thing.  Can specialty coffee come to us in the morning, will we need to go get it (where?), or how is the regular room service coffee and how long does it take.  (Or is there just a Nespresso or Keurig- totally fine!)

Thanks!

On the Wind there is a coffee station set up in the Panorama Lounge early in the morning.   They have regular, decaf, and hot water for tea.  They also have some pastries, croissants, etc.   The attendant will make cappuccinos and maybe espresso but I’m always on my wife’s coffee run so it’s whatever is ready and quickest.   We also have regular coffee delivery to our cabin usually between 7 and 8:00 AM depending on if it’s a port or sea day.   

The early risers' station in the Paranoia lounge opens at 06.30. This may suit depending on what type of coffee you like. The self-serve flasks contain the sort of brown, thin liquid that may, if we are being charitable, pass for coffee. If you want something a bit coffee-er then there should be a member of staff handy to rustle up a latte or two. 

Top tip: if you decide to help yourself to a disposable container with lid, use 3 cups (each inside the other) otherwise by the time you reach your cabin you will smell faintly of burnt skin - the coffee is HOT. The plastic lid fits on the 3-cup stack quite nicely. 

Oh, thanks for the suggestion about early coffee.  We'll be on the Wind in 105 days (not counting or anything), and that helps with planning.  We found the secret station on the Shadow right near the end of our trip this April.  Hubby is the coffee fiend, I do tea.  We also took advantage of morning room service, and they were excellent at having it to our room around 6:15am.

Jan

Ony, it is on the top deck, Observation Lounge.  We wandered in a few times, there are machines, cups, nice tea selection.  One of the mornings we went up "foraging", and there were a couple staff members whipping up special coffees, very nice treat.   

4 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

Sounds like a baseball cap and a trip Observation Lounge by DH it shall be... sorry darling! 

One of the nice aspects of smaller ships is no venue is a great distance from your cabin.   Your baseball capped husband will probably find more than one passenger in either the Observation or Panorama Lounge fetching coffee.   😀👍

Edited by Randyk47

11 hours ago, Fortunate2 said:

Crazy coffee question but does anyone know if almond milk is available with morning coffee.  We're on the Spirit next month and my better half avoids dairy if she can.

I don’t recall almond milk being obviously available but then again I’ve never looked for it.   I think they might have had some kind of non-dairy “creamer” available but not sure as we’ve half and half people.   I’m sure it can be arranged even if it means keeping the almond milk in your cabin for your personal use.