Help Please to Choose a Cruise

traci_money

Hi all ... I'm looking to book a cruise to Alaska ... May 2020.

Here is list of wants: 

- budget friendly ... I would rather spend our trip $$$ off the boat than on. We don't mind a little wear and tear.

- nice sized balconies on regular rooms, not suites.

- we are not foodies, so specialty places don't matter but a good mdr will work

- prefer sail Alaska to Canada  or vice vs ( not out of Seattle and not round trip)

- 0 to few sea days, many ports or sails thru glacier areas 

- smaller ship with less thrills suits us just fine, as long as we are not on it much

- a decent drink package is good too 

- we prefer a ship known for not too many kids but also we are in 40s so maybe not feel like a senior center either, n on carnival party boats 

- 8 to 12 days 

Tia ... I can't make heads nor tails 

NCL Jewel sails from Vancouver to Seward or vice versa.  Great itinerary that includes Glacier Bay & Hubbard Glacier.  Did this itinerary 2 years ago & loved it.  Jewel is mid sized ship & just recently was refurbished.

Reviewing your list of wants, I can't think of an option that meets all requirements, as budget friendly is generally not associated with small ship and less kids.

Meeting most of your requirements would be Viking Ocean - although being a premium line the base fare is higher than the mainstream cruise lines. However, due to the many included services and a complimentary included excursion in each port, the total spend is frequently similar to mega ships, or a small increase. Pros:

- Small ships (930 pax)

- Port intensive - only 1 sea day during an 11 day cruise

- 1 way cruises between Vancouver and Seward

- Food is actually excellent quality and specialty restaurants are free

- Free wi-fi and self service laundry

- Free beer & wine at lunch & dinner. Drinks package much cheaper than mega ships.

- Cabins are all outboard

- Viking has NO kids, with minimum age being 18

- Viking is also one of the few ships that navigate up the entire Canadian Inside Passage for better scenery

For budget friendly mainstream mega ships, Princess & HAL are the renowned Alaska experts. For smaller ships, we always preferred the Island & Coral Princess in Alaska. We don't use Princess any more, so not sure if those 2 are still serving Alaska.

Note that most mainstream N'bd & S'bd cruises are 7-days, while the premium/luxury cruises are mostly 10 to 14 days.

Pacific Princess has 630 passengers. Kids would not be drawn to this ship.

Smaller ships are more expensive but this is part of Princess so it is not going to be as expensive as other lines with same amount of passengers. 

Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas. We were on it in August, northbound from Vancouver to Seward. I think Royal has the best priced cruises of anyone, especially if you aren't concerned with frills on the ship (we were not either, we were more interested in the scenery off the ship). I think you'll be perfectly happy on the Radiance.

Feel free to message me, you sound like your interests are a lot like mine and my husbands, and we had the absolute trip of a lifetime. So much so that we're definitely going back in the next 2-3 years. Alaska was absolutely phenomenal.

Edited by Mountaineer0313

Kids   and Alaska itineraries in May are of no issue.   Yes there will be some,  but bulk of demographics will be middle aged and above.   You do know about mainland Alaska limitations in May?   I'd only suggest a northbound trip at the end of May-   IF you are planning on a Denali visit.  (Only  possible if you add at least 5 days-  more absolutely preferable).      Why the wide range of days?   Do these include travel?     I'd suggest you look further with what you want out of your trip-  first-  as it could narrow down your selections.   

May is usually slightly cheaper,  overall-  which favorable weather  and especially preferred-  long daylight.  :)   

I'd also suggest you - first,  get the details and knowledge about the various glacier areas, and know what activities-   with ranking them  you would choose  to occupy your port time.    Makes little sense to choose a sailing without knowing your preferences for touring?