Who do I checkin with?

phabric

I booked through Princess EzAir, flights YYZ - Ath and FCO - YYZ for Oct 2019.

YYZ-ATH are on Air Canada and FCO-YYZ are on Lufthansa.

If I take Air Canada both ways, they want a extra $250 for the flight FCO-YYZ and $0 for Lufthansa.  I know that Lufthansa are co partners with Air Canada.

I have a booking with Lufthansa which says operated with Air Canada.

Who do I checkin with Lufthansa or Air Canada?

27 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

The operating airline.

Agree. You always check in with the airline that owns the plane you are getting on. If you were connecting to a different airline on the same ticket, you check in with the airline owning the plane on the first flight.

6 hours ago, phabric said:

I have a booking with Lufthansa which says operated with Air Canada.

I assume you mean operated BY Air Canada.  In that case, check in with Air Canada.  Note that you may have a different record locator on the Air Canada flight, and you may need that for online check-in.

Thanks for the help.

We have added an extra day,  we are now going both ways with Air Canada.  Yesterday EzAir wanted an added $250 to have Air Canada on the return and $0 for Lufthasa, today EzAir wants $251 for Lufthasa on the return and today $0 with Air Canada on the return...

Most typically I check in with whom I’m flying the first leg, but not always. An example for doing this is, I sometimes check in with the airlines that issued/ sold the ticket. I have checked in at the AA counter for a flight sold by AA but operated by BA. The AA agent told me the BA flight is 5 hours delayed, would I like to be rebooked on a more timely AA flight, so to meet my connection. Of course! Those checking in at the BA counter weren’t given that option. 

When living in Denver and flying out of DIA, I regularly checked in with UA whether flying Lufthansa, UA, or Swiss. UA had always sold and issued the ticket and allowed check in. 

I remember a baggage issue on UA vs SAS  a few years ago. By checking in with UA, and having bought the ticket from themwith my Explorer card, I got an extra free bag I wouldn’t have if I had checked in with SAS , whose metal I was flying home on. 

16 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I have checked in at the AA counter for a flight sold by AA but operated by BA. The AA agent told me the BA flight is 5 hours delayed, would I like to be rebooked on a more timely AA flight, so to meet my connection. Of course! Those checking in at the BA counter weren’t given that option.

But that sounds like you were checked in for the AA flight. What if you hadn't been rebooked onto one of those? Would the AA agent still have checked you in, or would you have then been sent over to the BA check-in area?

16 hours ago, pinotlover said:

When living in Denver and flying out of DIA, I regularly checked in with UA whether flying Lufthansa, UA, or Swiss. UA had always sold and issued the ticket and allowed check in. 

Did UA do LH's and LX's check-in anyway? The only obvious explanation for UA being able to actually do the check-in is if LH and LX check-in was being done by UA in any event, so that the UA agent you saw was able simply to emulate the LH/LX check-in process on their machine.

Otherwise, who sells or issues the ticket has no bearing on it. If you are actually flying on LH123, you are flying on LH123 and you have to be checked-in with LH regardless of whether your ticket is for "LX456" or "UA7890". Your boarding pass will say "LH123", "LH123 sold as LX456" or "LH123 sold as UA7890".

8 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Did UA do LH's and LX's check-in anyway? The only obvious explanation for UA being able to actually do the check-in is if LH and LX check-in was being done by UA in any event, so that the UA agent you saw was able simply to emulate the LH/LX check-in process on their machine.

Just because someone has on a uniform for airline A doesn't mean that they' actually work that that airline. Example- as part of their joint venture, Delta's operations at Paris CDG are actually handled by Air France employees in Delta kit and when I've flown out of there on a Delta ticket and Delta metal, my boarding pass said Air France. 

Side thought- for all that they get their share of hate from many, the US Legacy 3 actually typically do really really well compared to peers when it comes  to quick and often easy rebooking during flight delays and other IRROPS situations. Heck, in many cases you can now even rebook a likely missed connection from your cell phone without having to approach a gate agent or customer service person at all.