Do you think Regent should offer some classical music ?

tripperva

1 hour ago, JMARINER said:

FAAIK Only on the Explorer is there a separate piano player and in the evening in the Observation lounge s/he must play a very reduced volume levels due to suites above. If you are in the back of the room you can barely hear her. They are supposed the fix the acoustics on the new ship.

J

Was on the Explorer last month.  The piano music in the observation lounge before dinner was anything but a reduced volume level.  The pianist was using an electronic keyboard and the sound was amplified to the point it was unpleasant.  It was nearly impossible to have a conversation. 

I thought that the music was too loud in every lounge I was in including the Constellation theater with the exception of one night in the observation lounge when a duo was providing music without amplification. Made me wonder if the performers have any idea what their music sounds like from off stage, especially since the amplification seemed to muddy and distort the clarity of the sound. 

I don't know if volume level in the observation lounge later in the evening was turned down as I did't go back.  

It is refreshing to see interest in this topic.  And, it is not a Zero Sum Game.  Certainly, Spouse and I appreciate the Classics.  And, her background includes A Cappella and solo voice performances while at University; in local theater; and post-marriage in Church venues. Vivaldi, Monteverdi, Mozart, to 20th Century Strauss, Copland, and Gershwin. 

The other side of the spectrum is our abiding love of The Beatles.  Actually, genius has no sides, just nuances.  

Whenever a Beatles revival is offered on whatever Line we are on--we are in line early for a close-up seat.  Hard not to sing, or hum, along.  And, of course, there is always my favorite, Hard Rock.  Really, pulsing stuff such as  "Born to Be Bad" from John Carpenter's 1983 movie, "Christine".  That theme song well-fit that very-"dark" movie. Written and performed by George Thorogood and his band, "The Destroyers."  Aptly named.  Destroyers music is also on my Hit List. 

Have an open mind, and soul.  Variety is the spice of life.   

GOARMY!

Glad that I am not the only one that thinks that the music on Explorer is over the top loud.  This may be the volume of the present and future since so many people have hearing loss due to listening to overly loud music.  While I played rock and roll on my record player almost every moment that I was at home growing up, it was not at a high volume which could account for what my DH calls my "stealth hearing" (meaning that I hear his conversations on the phone from across the house, can hear conversations at many tables in Compass Rose and other places .......).  Unfortunately, having acute hearing also makes the loud music seem even louder.  

In terms of Ray Solaire (who we like and appreciate very much) is at one end of the spectrum age wise while John Barron is at the other end.  It would be interesting to learn John's take on the music on Regent.  Personally, I would prefer opera to classical music because classical music puts me to sleep.  I do enjoy it but need to be doing something with the music in the background .... not just sitting and listening.  Perhaps my view of classical music came from my sister who plays piano (played professionally for years).  Growing up, while I was playing upbeat music on the accordion (okay - I know that playing the according is a bit funny), she was playing classical music.  My Father also sang professionally in his younger years so I have been exposed to music all of my life.  Anyway, we all have different tastes and I believe that Regent tries to accommodate everyone.

There is no right or wrong answer here - it is just important to realize that not everyone loves classical music (or rock, rap, music from the 50's, 60's, 70's and beyond).  I'm fine with classical music as long as I can go to a different lounge and enjoy nice background music (again - I'm talking about pre-dinner music).  

Steering the conversation back to the title of the thread, I'd think that each ship has sufficient venues to be able to offer a variety of musical genres and could certainly accommodate those who appreciate classical music either in the form of a quartet or solo performance, background music to chat to or a recital to listen to and on which to concentrate/relax.  My problem has been with classical musicians who have been given an evening slot in the theatre programming, which I have interpreted as a "recital" and have gone to listen, whereas others appear to have interpreted as background music to chat through. 

Years ago - in the last century (!) - P&O had a classical concert pianist on board with whom I had worked previously and whose reputation was highly regarded.  Every evening after dinner, he played a half- or three-quarter hour programme of solo piano works in one of the lounges and gathered quite a following of appreciative listeners who would bring a glass of something and listen quietly before going on to party the night away  (perhaps !!)   I understood he was one of several musicians of similar calibre who came on board for a month or so at a time. 

Maybe such a programme wouldn't work on Regent/these days and is certainly not a deal breaker, just something we'd enjoy and appreciate.

Edited by Gilly
  • Like 1

Agree with TC2 regarding music volume in Observation Lounge on Explorer during the pre-dinner hour(s). Unable to carry on a conversation with others while the pianist was doing his thing, and we were not even seated particularly close to the piano.  Couldn't wait for him to take a break or stop altogether.  He was a very good musician, just too damn loud.

5 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

Agree with TC2 regarding music volume in Observation Lounge on Explorer during the pre-dinner hour(s). Unable to carry on a conversation with others while the pianist was doing his thing, and we were not even seated particularly close to the piano.  Couldn't wait for him to take a break or stop altogether.  He was a very good musician, just too damn loud.

When the best part of the entertainment in the lounge is the break time, it says a lot!  I felt the same way.

The idea of a solo pianist playing classical pieces in the lounge  as mentioned by Gilly sounds ideal (if it would be rendered without amplification and distortion).

If classical music (or any music) can't be provided without amplification and sound distortion, then I would enjoy no music in the observation lounge.

• Like 1

Agree w/forgap, and others as to eschewing amplification. Let the instrument (whether piano, guitar, violin, harp) and its messenger carry the content, without need of artificial assistance. 

Spanish music would be another winner, whether Sor, Turina, de Falla, Grandos, or Albeniz--amongst others. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

I really love the classical string quartet on Oceania--not that I ever just sit and listen to them as some do, but it creates a very nice ambience when walking to dinner.  Would love to see that on Regent. 

There have from time to time been very nice classical pianists onboard as well as a flutist once that I can remember and a couple of violinists, but they mostly only played a show or two in the theater.  It would be nice just to have that background music in one of the lounges, not all the time, but at least some of the time.

Cunard offers live classical music every afternoon at tea.  I've heard both harpist and string quartets aboard.  There is always a pianist in the evenings in the Commodore Lounge.  On their TA, sometimes the London Symphony travels and performs concerts aboard ship.  There is also live dance music in the ballroom in the evenings.

All of these live music programs are available to all classes of travel.  The times and locations are posted in the ship's newspaper each day.  In the evening, it creates a very elegant ambiance aboard ship.  Their Queens Grill offering competes quite nicely with other luxury lines.  But, you have to be prepared for a more formal atmosphere.      

At the risk of comparing anything on a non-luxury line on the Regent boards, we sailed for the first time on a Holland America this fall and they had a great venue, Lincoln Center Stage. A wonderful quintet played a variety of classical music which we enjoyed every night after dinner. They also had jazz, blues, rock and roll, sing along piano bar, solo piano for easy listening as well as the main stage shows. There was something for everyone! We enjoyed the musical offerings on Regent, but would very much enjoy if classical music was an option.

Add me to the list of those who would like more classical music onboard.  In addition, I'd really REALLY like to have a classical music "station" as one of the in-cabin selections on the interactive television.  They offer around 15 or more "radio channels" -- but not one is classical music (country, pop, zen, new age, etc.).  

The only place I could find classical music piped into the cabin was on one of the television channels -- can't remember for sure but it was either the bow camera station OR the navigation info station.  And it was the same program, approximately 3-4 hrs long, repeated on a loop, over and over, day and night, for 28 days.

We did have a classical pianist or two who did one-off "concerts" -- very enjoyable.  But a string quartet or quintet would be a great addition.

As an aside, after I retired from my IT career in 2003, I returned to college to get my undergrad music degree -- composition, conducting, and vocal performance -- and ended up going on to grad school for a M.Mus in Music History & Literature.  On my RSSC cruise in Sep/Oct, I brought my own classical music "library" with me via my iPhone and iPad so I wasn't totally bereft of classical, but it would be nice to have it as more options among the live performances.

Lana in Bellingham, WA ( ... because that's where I attended grad school 2006-2010 and fell in love with the community so stayed around ... )

A Second is provided for Lana's suggestion for adding a classical radio "channel" with a wider range of offerings than the continuous-loop program played on the fixed bow camera station. 

Great idea.  I will follow-up on this with another message to Regent's "Brass" section (as referenced in my earlier offering).  Cannot see that this would be much of a cost consideration.  Fortunately, in the greater Seattle area (where we abide) there is Radio Station FM 98.1.  Classical music over a wide spectrum 24/7.  A respite from the horrible traffic and other recent events. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Tripperva: 

Thanks for the update.  Even-more reason to request addition of a classical radio "channel" accessible 24/7 by all suites. 

So--to those currently onboard any Regent ship:  Request you "pipe up" on this aspect.  What is being broadcast from that fixed bow camera?  Bet it ain't  "Born to be Bad".  (See above for context.)  That would really get folks' attention. 

In all seriousness:  I will convey above sentiments to Regent management for consideration. 

GOARMY!

11 hours ago, tripperva said:

GoArmy, they used to play classical on the bow camera channel, but I don't think any more.

We are on Explorer now and they still play classical music on channel 2, the bow camera.

From memory, the same on Mariner in September.

I just shudder to think of the selections if they were to do a classical audio feed in the cabins. Most such feeds are mostly just sub-standard hackneyed classics. But they could try, I guess.  It's just that "classic lite" would not suit me, but then again it might suit others.

3 hours ago, tripperva said:

Vivaldi anyone?

Viva Vivaldi!

I could live without a separate feed in the cabin as I don't spend a lot of time there.  But having a nice quartet strategically placed around the ship (in the main atrium during embarkation or when returning from long excursions , outside Compass Rose at dinnertime, maybe in a lounge for an hour or two, or wherever they deem fit...would be a nice boost to the atmosphere on board, I think.

4 hours ago, tripperva said:

Wendy, the original post was really just about live performance in different venues,perhaps a string quartet before dinner. 

Anyone could attend or skip as they wish. Vivaldi anyone?

Yes I know.  And I for one am very much in favour of that over an audio feed in our rooms.  But more than just before dinner, a real concert once in a while.  With serious musicians.

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes I know.  And I for one am very much in favour of that over an audio feed in our rooms.  But more than just before dinner, a real concert once in a while.  With serious musicians.

And who do you think will pay for the "serious musicians"?  Likely us!  Nothing is free.

14 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

And who do you think will pay for the "serious musicians"?  Likely us!  Nothing is free.

There are tons of wonderful musicians in the world, with great talents who are under-employed.  On our 2004 Diamond Black Sea cruise, they were mostly products of the Soviet music system--rigorously trained, eeking out a living doing anything they could.

This is true of North American musicians as well, and I'm sure Europeans in general.  My husband has a god son who is a serious jazz pianist, with his own band, recordings, etc., classically trained, who is currently working as band leader on a cruise ship.  There is talent out there, serious talent.  I'm not talking about celebrities here, but working musicians.

32 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

There are tons of wonderful musicians in the world, with great talents who are under-employed.  On our 2004 Diamond Black Sea cruise, they were mostly products of the Soviet music system--rigorously trained, eeking out a living doing anything they could.

This is true of North American musicians as well, and I'm sure Europeans in general.  My husband has a god son who is a serious jazz pianist, with his own band, recordings, etc., classically trained, who is currently working as band leader on a cruise ship.  There is talent out there, serious talent.  I'm not talking about celebrities here, but working musicians.

Yes - there are many talented musicians - not disputing that.  However, since "talent" sometimes have to take revenue generating suites, this needs to be taken into consideration as well.  And, someone or a group would need to be let go to accommodate the new group/individual.  Some talent already on Regent ships do play classical music, so, isn't it better to test out classical music in one venue to see how Regent passengers "take" to it?  

Sometimes I feel that "us" posters come up with great ideas but have no idea what it would take to implement them (the same can be said about changing back the suites on Mariner, for instance, to what they were before to give passengers more storage space).  And, Regent needs to decide what fits for the majority of their passengers.