A bit ambiguous....Oceana

pamela17

Service Reward Programme 

'New, from May 2019, no discretionary daily Service Charge.

We take huge pride in giving you a holiday that's truly memorable and our team on board is committed to providing exceptional service. From May 2019 (cruises A911, B912, E911/A, J903, N910, R907, X907 and all thereafter), the discretionary daily Service Charge on board will be removed so you can relax knowing it’s all taken care of. Changes like this do take a little bit of time to put in place, and so for holidays which depart before May, a discretionary daily Service Charge amount of £7 will continue to be added for guests aged 12 and over'.. So is it being removed or permanently added?

Edited by pamela17
spelling

23 minutes ago, pamela17 said:

Service Reward Programme 

'New, from May 2019, no discretionary daily Service Charge.

We take huge pride in giving you a holiday that's truly memorable and our team on board is committed to providing exceptional service. From May 2019 (cruises A911, B912, E911/A, J903, N910, R907, X907 and all thereafter), the discretionary daily Service Charge on board will be removed so you can relax knowing it’s all taken care of. Changes like this do take a little bit of time to put in place, and so for holidays which depart before May, a discretionary daily Service Charge amount of £7 will continue to be added for guests aged 12 and over'.. So is it being removed or permanently added?

Can’t understand your confusion with that statement but.

The current discretionary daily Service Charge amount of £7 will continue fleet wide up until May 2019.

After May 2019 it is being removed fleet wide.

If cruising before May 2019 and the cruise price is not going to alter after May 2019, then withdraw the tips now at the pursers desk and tip in cash. Why wait till May 2019. ? The staff still get your tip.

Edited by Pennbank

17 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Good news.  Now tip what you want.

Which is not the way I read or understood it. For me P&Os statement quoted above " From May 2019 (cruises A911, B912, E911/A, J903, N910, R907, X907 and all thereafter), the discretionary daily Service Charge on board will be removed so you can relax knowing it’s all taken care of" implied that tips would not be expected, all payments to staff would be taken care of by P&O. There is a danger that tips will become expected in addition, and we will have come a full circle.

6 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Which is not the way I read or understood it. For me P&Os statement quoted above " From May 2019 (cruises A911, B912, E911/A, J903, N910, R907, X907 and all thereafter), the discretionary daily Service Charge on board will be removed so you can relax knowing it’s all taken care of" implied that tips would not be expected, all payments to staff would be taken care of by P&O. There is a danger that tips will become expected in addition, and we will have come a full circle.

I agree with your interpretation, tips will not be expected or required. P&O would do well to follow Marellas example where they post reminders to passengers that tips are not required or expected. It is even on your cruise card. Some passengers will of course tell everyone that they tip because it is expected. This will be an attempt to demonstrate their social 'superiority'. Of course you can still tip for exceptional service.

16 hours ago, Denarius said:

Great point.