Disembarking in Sydney

greg898

2 hours ago, greg898 said:

We're booked on the majestic princess next year and the return flight we're looking at departs SYD at 10:10. But I'm thinking that might be cutting it too close if we did the earliest self disembark option? 

Walk off probably about 1/2 hour after docking would be earliest option, but 10:00 would still be way too early in my opinion.

Look at it this way

10:10

assume domestic flight, need to check in by 9:10

travel Dock to Airport (I’d suggest allowing an hour, you might take less but I wouldn’t bet on it) 8:10, that’s the dead latest you can get off the ship with any sort of wriggle room.

lets allow 1/2 hour to actually get off and grab a taxi or walk to the train. 7:45

then you don’t tell us where you are sailing, so customs?

Assume you are scheduled back in port at 6:30, normally that means they’ll start disembarking around 7:00, but (will you be right at the head of the line or stuck behind a couple of old geezers, like me and Mrs G?

in a nutshell it may work, but no guarantees, if you are going to try it make sure you’ve got a plan B,

• 2 weeks later...

A 10.10 flight out of Sydney is definitely doable. Assuming a 6.30 arrival and most ships arrive a lot earlier and self disembarkation starts at 7.00 am. One will be at the CIrcular Quay railway station by 7.30 and at the airport via the train 30 minutes later leaving plenty of time to checkin. One can rely on the trains but not on vehicular traffic. We always self disembark for our return flights to NZ which leave at 9.30 am and have always had plenty of time up our sleeve allowing for a 90 minute checkin time before flight departure. IN order to meet this time frame one would need to queue up a minimum of 30 - 45 minutes before gangway opens as there are many who have similar plans

When we disembarked in Sydney this past Feb., our ship was already an hour late in tying up at the pier due to heavy currents in crossing from New Zealand to Sydney.  There was no self walk off offered on our cruise (Princess) and so we had to sit and wait until our colour of luggage tag was called.  Our international flight was due to leave at 12:15 and between the long lines waiting to get off the ship and again in the terminal waiting to go through customs, we made the flight by the skin of our teeth.  We got to the gate as people were boarding and that was a little too close for our comfort.  It was a stressful way to end our wonderful holiday.

Barb