UK to South Africa

pamela17

I am looking for a cruise leaving any port in the UK and travelling down the west coast of Africa to South Africa.  We must leave UK port in either Jan/Feb 2020.  It should take several weeks and we would fly back.  I saw one like this a few years ago on the Princess Line but I can't find anything at all now.  Any help gratefully received.

1. Thanks for your reply.  No I haven't!   the agent I have used for the past 2 trips is hopeless.  Not interested in doing any research whatsoever. Only interested in selling me an expensive cabin when I find the cruise.

Suggest you go to www.cruisetimetables.com and choose a South African port as a port of call.  It will tell you who is sailing and their itinerary.  It will indeed take you several weeks!  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

1 hour ago, pamela17 said:

I am looking for a cruise leaving any port in the UK and travelling down the west coast of Africa to South Africa.  We must leave UK port in either Jan/Feb 2020.  It should take several weeks and we would fly back.  I saw one like this a few years ago on the Princess Line but I can't find anything at all now.  Any help gratefully received.

Unfortunately, Princess no longer sails the London to Cape Town or any similar route.

Thanks very much indeed ......I have been looking at that trip but Marco Polo has no cabins with balconies and I need to have access to fresh air when I am on a month long trip.  There is absolutely nothing in Jan or Feb 2020.  I am quite disappointed. There is QE2 or QM but I find those ships too 'posh' for us and also the itinerary is fairly basic.

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

MS Marco Polo sails from Bristol 1/6/20 and calls at Capetown 1/28/20 - you might be able to book as a segment of a longer itinerary.

That is Cruise and Maritime - make sure that you research them carefully so you know what you are letting yourself in for.

Yes - Marco Polo is old and small, with small cabins:  I believe she was built in the 1960’s for the hardly-luxurious East German Peoples Republic  “tourist” trade.  Still, she is a good size - about 800 passengers,  the narrow bunks were comfortable, but not up to modern standards .  Well laid out - if the service is good, you will have a good cruise.  I sailed her in 1996 (Orient Lines)   from Istanbul through the Aegean to Athens - and would love another trip on her - she goes places the modern mastodons of the seas cannot take you.  

52 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes - Marco Polo is old and small, with small cabins:  I believe she was built in the 1960’s for the hardly-luxurious East German Peoples Republic  “tourist” trade.  Still, she is a good size - about 800 passengers,  the narrow bunks were comfortable, but not up to modern standards .  Well laid out - if the service is good, you will have a good cruise.  I sailed her in 1996 (Orient Lines)   from Istanbul through the Aegean to Athens - and would love another trip on her - she goes places the modern mastodons of the seas cannot take you.  

I sailed her as Alexander Pushkin (Russian) back in 1977. Montreal to Tilbury.

No stabilisers back then.

2 hours ago, pamela17 said:

That's fascinating.....I didn't that site existed...thanks so much!

Just understand what freighter cruising is all about.  You will likely be the only passengers (they carry a max of 12, and not frequently), there is no "entertainment" other than some DVD's, the only "service" you will get is meals and cabin cleaning, the small crew (25-35) will be working all hours and not have much interaction with you, even at meals, access to open deck areas are limited by operation, maintenance, and company policy.  There will be one public space, the officers' lounge, that you are allowed into, other than the officers' mess.  So, if you don't mind days on end of self-entertainment, and isolation from the world in general, then freighter cruising may be for you, otherwise, stay far away.  Freighters also steam at much slower speeds than cruise ships, so it takes longer to get there, they will stop at ports at all hours of the day and night, and sometimes for only a couple of hours, and passengers are very definitely a back seat priority to the cargo.

• Like 1

I see at least one line that does monthly Rotterdam-Anvers (BE)-Walvis Bay (port for Namibia) and Cape Town in 22/23 days.

Only carries 3 pax in 2 cabins.  German (think 530p dinners) or Marshall Islands officers.  There are windows in the cabins presumably and hopefully open.

The only cruise I've heard of from Europe, other than sections of world cruises, is the annual repositioning of an MSC ship from Venice to Durban, which unfortunately is usually in October, returning in April. 

Perhaps Costa does something similar? I remember friends on the MSC repositioning out to SA saying there was a Costa ship in some of the ports.

49 minutes ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

Not exactly your request, but should consider: first leg of Seabourn World Cruise:

Miami to South Africa, January 2020. 

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/W0W39A/5010.html

Well, if OP can be THAT flexible about port of embarkation, there is an Oceania Nautica sailing which calls at Capetown on February 3, 2020 —— of course, she would have to get to  Capetown by January 20 to board ——- but somehow I am inclined to think that would not be acceptable either.