No northern westbound TA in 2020

UKPete71

So the October/November 2020 transatlantics are all southern crossings. No ship from Southampton and not one offering Boston/New York port calls.

Reflection - Rome > Fort Lauderdale
Apex - Barcelona > Fort Lauderdale
Edge - Rome > Fort Lauderdale
Infinity - Lisbon > Miami
Silhouette - Barcelona > Buenos Aires

:classic_sad:

Looks like no Norhtern westbound. The Silhouette and Apex are the two that cruise out of Southampton in 2020 and both cruise into the Med, with Silhouette going to Barcelona from Southampton in late Oct and then crossing. 

We are doing the Southampton-Boston-NYC-Bermuda-Nassau-FLL in Oct 2019. 

Den

6 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

Who wants to freeze their bums on a Northern route 😉

I would!  We just made what was supposed to be a Northern crossing in November (somewhat re-routed due to a storm) and it was really enjoyable to call at Boston, New York and Bermuda.  

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wondering if they are part of the TA's that were suppose to be released on 12/5 but still have not been released yet.

I grabbed the routes from my travel agent’s website yesterday. I quick check and they are on Celebrity’s site too.

10 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

Who wants to freeze their bums on a Northern route 😉

Perhaps a northern route is not appealing to others, but we have taken three transatlantic cruises and all of them originated from or arrived at northern ports (England and Denmark).  Our last TA was on Eclipse from Southampton to Boston, NYC, Bermuda, Nassau ending in Miami. was wonderful.   Yes, we could not enjoy going outside until half way from NYC to Bermuda, but the ports were great choices.

27 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Perhaps a northern route is not appealing to others, but we have taken three transatlantic cruises and all of them originated from or arrived at northern ports (England and Denmark).  Our last TA was on Eclipse from Southampton to Boston, NYC, Bermuda, Nassau ending in Miami. was wonderful.   Yes, we could not enjoy going outside until half way from NYC to Bermuda, but the ports were great choices.

I start see freezing temperture in November at home , so I am not going spend money to travel in freezing temperatures😉

Also I pass on Boston, New York and Miami as ports to visit 

1 hour ago, Airbalancer said:

I start see freezing temperture in November at home , so I am not going spend money to travel in freezing temperatures😉

Also I pass on Boston, New York and Miami as ports to visit 

If you’re not interested in the northern crossing I find it odd that you’ve posted in a thread discussing the northern crossing.

Bizarre. 😂

• Like 2

Over the last 10 years we've done 4 WB TAs, 3 from Southampton (northern route) and 1 from Venice.  I enjoyed stopping in Iceland and Greenland.  I wonder if ships are "avoiding" this route now because the ships are too large to handle for these northern ports.  We had bad weather on only one of the four and that was just for one day (so bad, they had to "lock" us inside, i.e. too dangerous to go out on deck; that nearly caused a mutiny).

18 hours ago, UKPete71 said:

So the October/November 2020 transatlantics are all southern crossings. No ship from Southampton and not one offering Boston/New York port calls.

Pete we were on this year’s cruise.  Do you think they have decided not to continue with the cruise due to added costs?  Obviously I am no expert, but did this year’s diversion cut in to their profit?  

We were just glad that they didn't cut Boston and New York out of the itinerary with the changes due to the bad weather.  

3 minutes ago, bengaltiger1 said:

Pete we were on this year’s cruise.  Do you think they have decided not to continue with the cruise due to added costs?  Obviously I am no expert, but did this year’s diversion cut in to their profit?  

We were just glad that they didn't cut Boston and New York out of the itinerary with the changes due to the bad weather.  

I was on that TA with you all as well.   I really doubt Celebrity just made the decision in the last month to change the itinerary from one that wound up in Florida to one that ends in Buenos Aires, and then is followed by round-the-Horn cruises.  It's clearly a total repositioning of the ship to another continent and hemisphere, which takes some planning.  :classic_smile:     

PS: I would rather we had skipped Boston and kept to the rest of our port schedule.  I'm sure I'm in the minority, though.  😉

Just now, Turtles06 said:

I was on that TA with you all as well.   I really doubt Celebrity just made the decision in the last month to change the itinerary from one that wound up in Florida to one that ends in Buenos Aires, and then is followed by round-the-Horn cruises.  It's clearly a total repositioning of the ship to another continent and hemisphere, which takes some planning.  :classic_smile:     

PS: I would rather we had skipped Boston and kept to the rest of our port schedule.  I'm sure I'm in the minority, though.  😉

We had never been to Boston and I am sure I will be in the minority writing this, but I liked Boston far more than NY.  We would like to go back to Boston and explore that area further. 

13 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I'm glad we went to Boston, so the immigration was done there, rather than when we arrived in NYC. :classic_laugh:

Eclipse did the Barcelona to Buenos Aires route this year, so Silhouette is just following that. I guess Apex will then become the ship based in Southampton from 2021.  Only time will tell if the northern route returns in the fall of 2021.

1 hour ago, bengaltiger1 said:

We had never been to Boston and I am sure I will be in the minority writing this, but I liked Boston far more than NY.  We would like to go back to Boston and explore that area further. 

I agree with you,  it was our first  time in Boston and would liked to have had more time there even though it was cold......that's what coats are for.  I was very upset though to miss the second day in Bermuda.  It was the main reason I took the cruise.  Very happy to miss Nassau tough.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:14 PM, UKPete71 said:

This is a disappointment because we were going to look at westbound, northern routes for 2020 specifically.

9 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Check out Summit. She's doing NJ to Dublin and then returning in August to Boston

TY

Wonder if this is a recent add... Hadn't seen it in previous searches.

Will look at offerings.

She's going into dry dock March 2019 so who knows what she will be like afterward 😞

Edited by Fogfog

46 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

either last night or this morning with the Canada releases.

Thanks so much

I find it perplexing that a HUGE portion of the staterooms are blocked right now..Cannot imagine that are all booked

Do you think its related to dry dock, rooms being reclassified? Or becoming Edge'd?  We would not want an Infinity balcony

8 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Thanks so much

I find it perplexing that a HUGE portion of the staterooms are blocked right now..Cannot imagine that are all booked

Do you think its related to dry dock, rooms being reclassified? Or becoming Edge'd?  We would not want an Infinity balcony

It is common that blocks of cabins are reserved by major travel agents and held for resale.   They often are released back to Celebrity after a certain amount of time.  

10 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Thanks so much

Not sure to be honest.  I went through the same thing booking Connie for 2021. A ton of rooms blocked.  I'm thinking they're going to be switching around some categories to do with the revitalization.  Most M class ships I see in this time range have zero sweet sixteen available, they're all blocked.  Something is definitely going on.

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is common that blocks of cabins are reserved by major travel agents and held for resale.   They often are released back to Celebrity after a certain amount of time.  

Thanks

Trying to decide about what to book now, what to wait to book...and the hassles of changing rooms etc since the ship goes to dry dock in March 2019.

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

It's been too consistent though with these new releases.  There are always cabins blocked, that's for sure. But these new releases, it's an absolute ton of them and it's always the same ones. There's more blocked than available.