Bali Hotel needed

terry&mike

I am looking for suggestions for a hotel in Bali for 4-5 nights. You can suggest an area, such as Jimbaran, or a specific hotel/inn. I appreciate any advice.

We are a couple in our 50's, first time visitors to Bali, enjoy good food, and would like to see a few of the cultural sites, maybe attend a cultural dance show one evening. This will be for next December, before we board a ship in Singapore. 

Ideally, the hotel would be on the beach or near the beach, and not too far from a few restaurants and maybe a couple of shops; walking or biking distance would be perfect, if possible. We are not party people, so am thinking Kuta is not for us. 

As to style, it can be a small inn or B&B with character and great hosts, or a larger resort property with gorgeous grounds and good service; we are good with either. Will want one evening a romantic, nice dinner with great view to celebrate a special occasion. 

As to budget, I'm all about saving money where possible to use on other vacation experiences, so this is appreciated; will go up to $200/night. 

Most international hotels are located in Nusa Dua - 20 minutes from both Airport (DPS) and Benoa Cruise Port.

Also Le Méridien Bali Jimbaran. Options in Nusa Dua are The Westin Resort Nusa Dua or The Laguna Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua.

I'm staying at Marriott’s Bali Nusa Dua Gardens in March - price is USD150 per night - but many other options - also next to the beach.

• 4 weeks later...

I would recommend and have stayed at the

Sol Beach House Bali Benoa by Melia Hotels International.

This is a hotel which sits on the beach and has various all inclusive dining options/packages. There are various restaurants to use and they have special themed nights on the beach front. 

There is a shopping complex quite near by and I would recommend this person for trips. He will tailor make them to your requirement. Wayan Wena - known as The Dogs Bollocks can be contacted at melben_bali@yahoo.com.au

The hotel is also 11km from Ngurah Rai international airport.

Check it out on the hotel web and Tripadvisor.

Just be aware that in December/January the breeze blows onshore in Jimbaran/Seminyak and as such tends to blow in plastic bags and debris on to the beach and swimming is less than optimal.  Even if there is no rubbish in the water, it's still not so good for swimming as the water tends to be rougher.  Of course, it may not happen and be as calm as a lake but it's something to consider.  

We have stayed in Jimbaran in December a couple of years ago at the Intercontinental which is a lovely hotel but found the swimming less than pleasant unlike previous trips to Bali at different times of the year.

My son goes every year and is staying at a lovely hotel in Seminyak called the Bandha which is quite new.  Seminyak though is very, very busy although there are tons of hotels/ restaurants and shops so can be crazy.  He also reports that the wind is blowing in a bit or detritus.  

I realise beach time is only one of your considerations but at the time of year you are travelling, Nusa Dua may be a better option.