NCL Jade partial transit questions

karen11g

Feel like I should be able to figure this out, but could use some help.

The cruise schedule says we'll be in Panama Canal/Gatun Lake, Panama from 5 a.m. to 3 p.m., then in Colon from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. (I understand that the ship will sail from Gatun Lake to Colon between 3 and 5 p.m.)

Can anyone tell me what else is actually happening during those hours? For example, will we be transiting some locks during part of the 5 a.m. to 3 p.m. time? If we opt to do a shore excursion, do we go through the eastern locks first, then get off the ship? If yes, about what time would that be? This is our first and likely only trip here - should we do a shore excursion? (Thinking about the Panama Canal by ferry.)

And there's not much information on private tours, making me think it's best to go with cruise tours. Is that the case? And wondering why?

Your ship will transit through he Gatun Locks and then 'anchor' in Gatun Lake and tender off passengers who have booked excursions.  When this is finished, she will return through the same set of locks and dock in Colon to pick up the guests returning from their excursions.  There will not be an option for private tours.  If you wish to go ashore, you must be on a ship sponsored tour.  EM

• 3 weeks later...

You will have several lovely hours without the people who get off the ship in Lake Gatun.  It's really quite nice, to have about 1/2 the ship gone!  Plenty of room...and during the transit OUT of the lake, you will have much better views than you had going INTO the lake!

Unless you are REALLY into the canal's history, you really can skip any excursion there.  You will see the canal, and it's operation aplenty during the trip in and out!