Edge standard (not iv) verandah photo

cruisestitch

One suitcase full of luggage is wet, it appears that they let it sit in the rain! It was weird because they delivered it to us an hour and a half after they made the announcement that we could go to the rooms. All the other luggage was lining the hallway and ours wasn’t there. Funny, I remembered reading something on here about the porters so I tipped the guy to make sure I didn’t have a problem. 

Back to the martini bar!

Edited by cruzdude1
More bull

The QM2 has what they call “sheltered balconies” and they are within the hull on the lower decks.   These balconies can actually be used on the transatlantic sailings in bad weather.    You can sit outside in bad weather and you won’t get washed overboard by a wave or blown overboard.    Celebrity with its fair weather cruising has no safety reason for these balconies.

1 hour ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

So this balcony is being sold as an obstructed balcony?  Like a 2C or 2D?  Hoping this isn't what I normally book on S or M class as a 2A or 1A...surely those are not like what the OP has posted.  Don't like the IV, def don't like these and can't afford a suite so guess I'm not sailing on Edge!

Ditto!

I don't like the look of those balconies at all.... the one we had on Solstice (stateroom 9221) was perfect - if these balconies are 'standard' on Edge, then I certainly won't be paying MORE money for LESS of a view

Message to Celebrity - please do not touch the balconies on Solstice!

2 hours ago, cruzdude1 said:

We couldn’t be more disappointed. This is the photo of the “upgrade” we received for our guaranteed sunset veranda. Worst accommodations we have ever had. That orange railing carries the magic carpet.  

The window is another cabin. About 55% obstructed view. To make matters worse the veranda window can be disabled by the crew. This turns my veranda into an ocean view room. We have not opened it yet.  I have Always had a veranda because we like to sit out on it at all hours of the day or night. 

Promptly went to guest services to complain. I can see into the other room and they can see into ours!

89D96BA9-C5E6-4C56-BBFD-834798C13CD5.jpeg

I personally don't have a problem with the original photo, as long as it were priced as an upgraded OV, but I certainly wouldn't pay the normal veranda price for it.  This however is hideous!  They've basically made two rooms unusable...  You should be charged the inside cabin price.

2 hours ago, cruzdude1 said:

We couldn’t be more disappointed. This is the photo of the “upgrade” we received for our guaranteed sunset veranda. Worst accommodations we have ever had. That orange railing carries the magic carpet.  

The window is another cabin. About 55% obstructed view. To make matters worse the veranda window can be disabled by the crew. This turns my veranda into an ocean view room. We have not opened it yet.  I have Always had a veranda because we like to sit out on it at all hours of the day or night. 

Promptly went to guest services to complain. I can see into the other room and they can see into ours!

That's awful on so many levels. I'm so sorry.    And that's really another cabin at right angles to yours?  Yikes.

I would be such an unhappy cruiser with those atrocious balconies pictured above. I spend a lot of time on the balconies we book reading, resting, admiring the view. Plus those chairs look so uncomfortable, nothing to idle the time away for an extended period. What do the ship's designers think passengers do on their balcony? Who wants a tiny cramped balcony with a blocked view?

6 minutes ago, nancyshaw said:

is there anything about the Edge that is amazing as we were told it would be? 

Yes, I find a few things amazing.

I find it amazing that anyone would see these so called innovations in verandas as anything more than an open apartment window in a large housing project building.

I find it amazing that of all my older and younger friends not one of them has the slightest interest in seeing the odd forms of performance art presented in the Eden venue.

I find it amazing that none of my fellow cruisers see how a moving platform, hanging off the side of the ship, that resembles a cargo-tainer handling system can do anything to enhance their cruising experience.

Obviously only the opinion of my wife and I along with several of our friends who have sailed with us and on their own for about 20 years.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nancyshaw said:

is there anything about the Edge that is amazing as we were told it would be? 

As they did with the Quantum Class on RCCL, so are they doing on the Edge.  It's not a surprise that their foolhardy tendencies have crossed lines, despite the egg on their face from the last experiment.  Azamara, you're next!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

Are the big ugly bars across the middle of the window at eye level when you are sitting?  

Looks like they are about at sitting eye level or a little higher.

The chairs also look very uncomfortable .  They lean back quite a bit with no head or neck support.

Edited by boscobeans

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

I think Celebrity WANTS you to stay off your uninviting balcony, where you don't generate revenue, and spend money somewhere else.  

Unfortunately for them most people who have the ability to do any research will be staying off their uninviting ship and definitely spending their money elsewhere. 

6 hours ago, cruzdude1 said:

Yikes. What cabin # is this? So sorry that you have to deal with this "upgrade", but thanks for the warning so I will know to NEVER book an SV Gty on Edge.  :classic_ohmy:

So as someone who stayed in an IV cabin I’m not so down on the Edge.  Yes I would have liked the veranda furniture to be nicer but it was very comfortable.  I’m 5’8 and my husband 6’2” and the railing did not come into play when we were sitting on the IV.  The bathroom is bigger with a nicer shower and sink, and the cabin is similar to an S class veranda.  One plus is the veranda is part of the cabin so you get more space.  The bad part it is hurting for tables.  You certainly couldn’t order room service and eat normally.

We were on one of the 2 day preview cruises so it was not your typical cruise.  My biggest complaint was the noise in the Grand Plaza/Martini Bar area but that seems to have been remedied.  The food in the MDR was excellent both nights and I liked the smaller dining rooms.  The buffet is well planned with a number of different areas to sit. Eden had some good and some bad.  If you don’t like the concept you can climb the ramp and find some interesting private spots.  We caught the tail end of the two theater shows, typical Celebrity.

In closing we did not find the ship or our cabin to be cold and gray.  Although I was not wild about it the first day I warmed up by the second.  I had to keep reminding myself we were sailing with a bunch of TAs with free drinks throughout the cruise so it was noisy.  We return on January 20th to an aft S1 and again an April in an AQ cabin.  Katie

14AC20D6-6269-4FA2-AC3F-E287F9ABC48B.jpeg

Edited by Oville
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cruzdude1 said:

On my goodness 😮! It looks like you have a building site portacabin attached to the side. Are those the S3 suites? If not, what cabins are they? I would not be happy at this ‘so called’ upgrade. 

2 hours ago, Oville said:

So as someone who stayed in an IV cabin I’m not so down on the Edge.  Yes I would have liked the veranda furniture to be nicer but it was very comfortable.  I’m 5’8 and my husband 6’2” and the railing did not come into play when we were sitting on the IV.  The bathroom is bigger with a nicer shower and sink, and the cabin is similar to an S class veranda.  One plus is the veranda is part of the cabin so you get more space.  The bad part it is hurting for tables.  You certainly couldn’t order room service and eat normally.

We were on one of the 2 day preview cruises so it was not your typical cruise.  My biggest complaint was the noise in the Grand Plaza/Martini Bar area but that seems to have been remedied.  The food in the MDR was excellent both nights and I liked the smaller dining rooms.  The buffet is well planned with a number of different areas to sit. Eden had some good and some bad.  If you don’t like the concept you can climb the ramp and find some interesting private spots.  We caught the tail end of the two theater shows, typical Celebrity.

In closing we did not find the ship or our cabin to be cold and gray.  Although I was not wild about it the first day I warmed up by the second.  I had to keep reminding myself we were sailing with a bunch of TAs with free drinks throughout the cruise so it was noisy.  We return on January 20th to an aft S1 and again an April in an AQ cabin.  Katie

14AC20D6-6269-4FA2-AC3F-E287F9ABC48B.jpeg

I found the IV to feel tight on space, but our bed was against the balcony so maybe your layout is better.

And I didn't like the bathroom - the toilet seems to be right up against the shower, so it seemed tight.  But I've been in Sky Suites and on Princess in mini suites for the most part, so my expectations might be skewed.

Here is a thought Re: Balcony size /furniture

Have Celebrity thought this through and designed them so that 

guests will spend more time out of their cabins and in the pay for areas of the ship. 

We originally booked a B2B and I am now so pleased that we cancelled and are staying on the Shilouette for 12 nights

As a result we shall stay two extra days in Sarasotta before flying back to the Uk.

It will be interesting if a cabin spreadsheet is started and also see any reviews 4 or 6 months down the line, it will also be interesting to see what they actually do to the M class and Solstice class.

I have a strange feeling that things may change.

Edited by swigso