Beverage Pkgs available on leaving port

cmrvancouver

Hi. I've read a few different threads where some people have reference not being able to use their beverage package while in port or leaving port on the first day. I'll be on the Bliss from LA to Mexican Rivera, so am wondering if we can use our beverage package on the first day? TIA. CMR

You can absolutely use it, but are subject to local taxes until you reach international waters.  It really amounts to very little money, and you are on vacation.  We start to enjoy the UBP within minutes of walking on the ship!

35 minutes ago, cmrvancouver said:

Hi. I've read a few different threads where some people have reference not being able to use their beverage package while in port or leaving port on the first day. I'll be on the Bliss from LA to Mexican Rivera, so am wondering if we can use our beverage package on the first day? TIA. CMR

Your beverage package is available from the moment you step on the ship until the moment you step off. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

Texas is 1 port for sure and I believe NY is also that the package doesn't start until day 2!

Many ports charge a state/city tax on drinks while in port.

Unless it's changed, I think from Texas you don't get any alcoholic beverages until in international water but New York? Never heard of that, is this true?

NOLA taxes on drinks until the Pilot has left the ship at the Gulf of Mexico what I was told.

While the taxes appears to be cents - but if your drink is in threshold of the $15 limit expect

the tax to be about a dollar and small change.

If you don't need something right away that is taxed wait till the ship in tax free waters.

Greedy local state government taxing anything that is within sight - where is some tea

to start the party all over circa Boston late 17 hundred !

3 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Texas is 1 port for sure and I believe NY is also that the package doesn't start until day 2!

Many ports charge a state/city tax on drinks while in port.

You can definitely start using your drink package immediately upon boarding in NYC. I have sailed out of there twice in the past year. You have to pay maybe 75 cents in local taxes on drinks while still in port, but it still comes out to very little total.

On 12/9/2018 at 1:39 PM, mjkacmom said:

I’ve heard it’s not available the morning you disembark (I’ve never tried though).

You may be able to use it in one of the restaurants but the bars aren't open, at least I have never found one that is open.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

You can definitely start using your drink package immediately upon boarding in NYC. I have sailed out of there twice in the past year. You have to pay maybe 75 cents in local taxes on drinks while still in port, but it still comes out to very little total.

Thanks was trying to remember from past posts. Texas is 2nd day for sure.

You can use the UBP at the Atrium bar if it's open. There were people in  Escape having mixed drinks on the last morning, and I was able to get some Diet Pepsi in my water bottle for the road home. The bar was open from 7-9am.

You can't use the beverage package sailing from Texas because NCL no longer sails from Texas. When NCL did sail from the port of Houston you could use the beverage package as soon as you boarded the ship. There were two restrictions though, purchases were subject to sales tax and beverages were limited to beer wine and spirits supplied by Texas licensed wholesalers. This had little effect on mixed drinks as spirits can be swapped. It did substantially limit the beer that could be purchased. Once the ship reached the Galveston breakwater, about an hour after leaving the Port of Houston the tax and restrictions went away.

On last week's Jade cruise departing from Miami, I was not charged tax on the Bloody Mary I ordered with lunch.  I was charged $0.72 tax on the next drink I ordered an hour or so later from one of the bars before we departed.  I suspect they should have charged tax on both.

On the last day of the cruise, I had breakfast at O'Sheehan's.  The bar was closed so I couldn't get a Bloody Mary with the meal.