Renewal of Vows

Lynniepoo

Hi all,

DH and I would like to renew our vows on the Royal Princess (Alaska) next May.  We plan to reserve our actual anniversary day as the renewal date, but we are in port.  Can anyone tell me if the ceremony is during the day or at night, so we can plan (or not plan) an excursion accordingly?

Thanks!

When we did our renewal we did not get to choose a date. The ship chose the date given the other things that the crew had to do during the cruise. Ours was done on a formal night. It was in the evening. We thought it was very well done and enjoyed meeting the captain, having our photos taken etc. Our vows package came with a lovely breakfast and that could be scheduled whenever we wanted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lynniepoo said:

Hi all,

DH and I would like to renew our vows on the Royal Princess (Alaska) next May.  We plan to reserve our actual anniversary day as the renewal date, but we are in port.  Can anyone tell me if the ceremony is during the day or at night, so we can plan (or not plan) an excursion accordingly?

Thanks!

On our recent cruise the Renewal of Vows was done on a sea day.  I would think that's how they have to do it.  Not sure they do them while in a port.

37 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

On our recent cruise the Renewal of Vows was done on a sea day.  I would think that's how they have to do it.  Not sure they do them while in a port.

Actually, we were able to pick the day we wanted to have it done in the cruise personalizer.  I think this is a pretty recent change, because DH and I have talked about it before but haven't decided to go for it until now.

A sea day would probably make more sense, but we wanted to have the vows on our anniversary, even if we were in port.

11 hours ago, Lynniepoo said:

Actually, we were able to pick the day we wanted to have it done in the cruise personalizer.  I think this is a pretty recent change, because DH and I have talked about it before but haven't decided to go for it until now.

A sea day would probably make more sense, but we wanted to have the vows on our anniversary, even if we were in port.

Lynniepoo, can you please explain how you did that?  I've been told we have no choice of day.  

12 hours ago, Lynniepoo said:

I am showing a date in my Cruise Personalizer for our ROV on an upcoming cruise, but I called Princess to make sure it was on a formal night. I was told by Princess that the date in the Personalizer is irrelevant.  I was told that I need to check the Patter on embarkation day for the list of formal nights.  I was also told that I will have an envelope delivered to my stateroom telling me the date and time for the ceremony because the Captain's availability isn't known until just before the sailing.  It sounds as if the date in the Personalizer is not carved in stone.  I also understand there may be a number of couples renewing vows at the same time.  Not really what I had pictured.

Does anybody know if they schedule ROV's for formal nights?

Edited by Daniel A
Correct a question

When I asked about ours in 2020..I was told we can pick a date but the time would be given to us once we board based on what the captain has going on.  Was also told that if for some reason they cant do the date we picked we would be told that as well.  We did pick a sea day...one of the glacier viewing days, but was told once we board we will be met with a planner who will haelp plan everything and give us the time or time options available.

This is for the option where you pay minimum $226 for a private ceremony not the group ceremony.

Edited by cruzrbachoua

3 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

This is for the option where you pay minimum $226 for a private ceremony not the group ceremony.

That's the one I have booked as well.  It looks like the group thing is merely another activity you would sign up for that day.

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

That's the one I have booked as well.  It looks like the group thing is merely another activity you would sign up for that day.

I agree...plus I don't think the group one is offered all the time as I don't recall seeing it on our b2b Caribbean cruise we did this august on the CB. 

37 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Well, on our recent cruise, we had to sign up by a couple of days prior to the event.  They said it was to ensure all the certificates were completed on time.

I can see a private renewal (where you pay extra for it) could be scheduled pretty much any day, depending on the Captain's availability.

We just renewed our vows a few days ago.  When we arrived in our room there was a letter on the bed asking us to go to the passenger service desk for a meeting with the planner.  We had asked for a  a sea day and was told the captain was not able to do it on that day.  We were told that the next day was available which was a sea day also and formal night.  Ceremony was 5:30.  Rec'd a phone call from photo department if we wanted to meet with them 1/2 hour before for some photos and video.    Ceremony was very well done, bouquet for me and a lapel flower for DH.  More pictures and video during this time.  Invitations were sent to anyone you wanted to invite.  Lots of perks with the package.  Don't want to spoil the surprises.  Afterwards, we had an interview with video and answered questions about each other, etc to be included with the video we purchased.    Can't say enough about how well this was done.   

• Like 2

This thread got me thinking so I went into my Personalizer to check on it and the Renewal of Vows wasn't there!  It wasn't showing in my Travel Summary either!  It turns out that when I called Princess to find out if I can book the ROV for a formal night I mentioned to the representative that it was a surprise for DW.  Today, they confirmed I have the ROV package booked and they removed it from my Personalizer so DW wouldn't see it and ruin the surprise.  I'm impressed.

We paid for the Renewal of Vows ($226, like mentioned previously) and we were able to pick a date.  Thank you to everyone for the feedback on that.

For that kind of money, I sincerely hope that it won't be a group setting.  I don't mind if other people are getting their vows renewed at the same time (heck, there are thousands of people on the ship) but I wouldn't like a group renewal ceremony.

If it's not on our actual anniversary, that would be a bummer but not the end of the world.  The issue will be if it is on another day, how do we book shore excursions or make other plans?  I guess I'll need to call Princess to get some guidance on that.

2 hours ago, Lynniepoo said:

If it's not on our actual anniversary, that would be a bummer but not the end of the world.  The issue will be if it is on another day, how do we book shore excursions or make other plans?  I guess I'll need to call Princess to get some guidance on that.

I am of the impression that the ROV is done in the early evening so you will most likely be back on board in time any way.

When I called to book the Renewal I was told:

1.  It will be on a formal night;

2.  We have no choice of date, it would be based on the captain's schedule; 

3.  The information for the event would be in our cabin on embarkation; and 

4.  There is a possibility that it could be a group event.

I read on another Renewal thread that if there is more than one formal night, the Renewal would be on the second formal night as the first formal night is for actual weddings.  

Is any of the above the full truth?  Who knows.  You get conflicting information from the Princess reps on the simplest questions.  

What I know for sure is that we are doing our Renewal, we will have good friends with us and it is going to be a very good time.  And I got an amazing dress.  Party on!!!  :classic_love::classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anubi said:

When I called to book the Renewal I was told:

1.  It will be on a formal night;

2.  We have no choice of date, it would be based on the captain's schedule; 

3.  The information for the event would be in our cabin on embarkation; and 

4.  There is a possibility that it could be a group event.

This is entirely consistent with what I was told by Princess although I was told It will likely be a formal night.  Depending on how many ROV's need to be done by the Captain and what his schedule looks like it could  be a group event.

17 hours ago, Queenmum said:

Forgot to mention that there is a ROV group ceremony but it is in the Piazza and anyone can join in. It was held on the last or next to last night of the cruise.   Your ROV will be completely private.  

A group event in the Piazza???  So much for romance.  😞 

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully everything will work out to your satisfaction (and that of your spouse)!  I surprised my DW with a renewal on the Ruby for our 25th anniversary 10 years ago.  Luckily our actual anniversary was on a formal night and the planner worked with me to keep it a secret from my wife - even going so far as to print a special invitation for us to meet the Captain in a special (private) venue just prior to our late dinner seating (even our table mates were invited).  DW had absolutely no idea what was going on until the captain arrived and I asked her to marry me again as she was presented with a bouquet as the photographer snapped away.  I couldn't have asked for a better result!  It never hurts to have some ideas in mind and ask the planner if they can accommodate your wishes.

Good luck and congratulations,

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Some great information there, we plan to renew our vows on the Crown in April can anyone advise on the costs for extras? Is photography including? 

We would actually prefer not to renew on a formal formal night is this possible? It would really help with packing to know this.

super excited after reading your posts! 

Thanks

lee

• 3 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 4:46 PM, Daniel A said:

This thread got me thinking so I went into my Personalizer to check on it and the Renewal of Vows wasn't there!  It wasn't showing in my Travel Summary either!  It turns out that when I called Princess to find out if I can book the ROV for a formal night I mentioned to the representative that it was a surprise for DW.  Today, they confirmed I have the ROV package booked and they removed it from my Personalizer so DW wouldn't see it and ruin the surprise.  I'm impressed.

DELETE

Edited by steelers36

On 2/24/2019 at 5:08 AM, Leewads said:

Hi All,

Some great information there, we plan to renew our vows on the Crown in April can anyone advise on the costs for extras? Is photography including? 

We would actually prefer not to renew on a formal formal night is this possible? It would really help with packing to know this.

super excited after reading your posts! 

Thanks

lee

If you and wife are in on the planning together, wear what you want to.  You do not have to be formal just because it might be held on a formal night. 

BTW, are they doing individual still?  Last cruise we just got back from, they were advertising a group event.  Another prior cruise has the same thing as too many people wanted it, so it was a group thing.  It seems to be advertised as something intimate.  (Not really interested in this, so have not looked closely into it, but I wonder if possible to guarantee a personal event if that is what is desired).