Choosing Norwegian Fjord Itineraries

chinita415

Looking at these two itineraries for August: 

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/7-night-norwegian-fjords-from-copenhagen-on-serenade/SR07CPH-2593710237?sail-date=2019-08-18&currency=USD&wuc=USA

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CruiseDetailsCmd?storeId=12264&catalogId=10001&langId=-1004&partNumber=PO20190817CPHCPH&pageFrom=CruiseResults&listinoCode=B-POCA915BE&packageType=_&bestPrice=652.6666666666666&composition=2,0,0,1

I think the MSC one is better right since it actually goes into the fjords vs the RCI ones seems not?? Just starting to look and not quite familiar with the ports yet. But having done Alaska and knowing that some ports and itineraries are better than others, I am leaning towards the MSC one. 

To make it easier:

RCI -

LEAVING FROM:Copenhagen onboard Serenade of the Seas
VISITING:Copenhagen, Denmark | Cruising | Stavanger,Norway | Bergen, Norway | Alesund, Norway |Cruising | Kristiansand, Norway | Copenhagen,Denmark

MSC - 
Y DATE PORT ARRIVAL DEPARTURE ACTIVITY*
1 Sat, Aug 17, 2019 - 6:00 PM Docked
2 Sun, Aug 18, 2019 8:00 AM 7:00 PM Docked
3 Mon, Aug 19, 2019 At Sea - - -
4 Tue, Aug 20, 2019 1:00 PM 7:00 PM Docked
5 Wed, Aug 21, 2019 7:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked/Tender
6 Thu, Aug 22, 2019 8:00 AM 6:00 PM Tender
7 Fri, Aug 23, 2019 At Sea - - -
8 Sat, Aug 24, 2019

Price about the same for a balcony room on either. Traveling with husband and baby who will be 18 months then. We don't need fancy older kids facilities on the ship yet. So going for the better itinerary. Baby is well traveled - one cruise done and one planned in the spring.

For sure the MSC itinerary is much better with both Flåm and Hellesylt/Geiranger - I'm surprised to see that RCCL do not sail the fjords (Geiranger and Flåm) at that cruise. MSC is a more 'European style' (Italian) cruise line.

44 minutes ago, hallasm said:

For sure the MSC itinerary is much better with both Flåm and Hellesylt/Geiranger - I'm surprised to see that RCCL do not sail the fjords (Geiranger and Flåm) at that cruise. MSC is a more 'European style' (Italian) cruise line.

Thanks! I thought so. We were on MSC on a Western Med cruise a few winters ago so familiar with the line. Would have loved to do the similar itinerary on their new mega ship Meraviglia but the timing doesn't work out. : (

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CruiseDetailsCmd?storeId=12264&catalogId=10001&langId=-1004&partNumber=MR20190811CPHCPH&pageFrom=CruiseResults&listinoCode=B-MRCA91F7E&packageType=_&bestPrice=958&composition=2,0,0,0&fromPage=landing

We chose our cruise to Norway because we wanted to visit Flam (for the train) and Geiranger for the fjord views.  You'll be fine traveling in August, but other visitors to Geiranger should note that some of the roads to access scenic travel such as the skywalk are seasonal, and don't open until between mid-may to early June, depending upon when they finish plowing and when the annual big avalanche is.  We missed the skywalk by two days on our cruise due to a delayed avalanche (had to choose this itinerary because we had a two year old and this was the only itinerary Cunard offered going to both locations and Cunard was the only line with drop off daycare for 2 year olds).  If you need infant care, that would be a reason to consider RC assuming that ship has a baby and tots nursery, but it sounds like your family - unlike mine - can handle traveling without daycare, which is great!  I'd go for the MSC itinerary (although people do seem to greatly enjoy Alesund)  In Flam, we did the train in the morning and then a visit to the charming village of Undredal, and a goat farm and an amazing lunch with Fjordsafari.  In Geiranger, you'll want to do  a scenic tour that will bring you to different beautiful tourist spots.   

• Like 1

Princess's June 15th has both Geriangerfjord and Flam on the Sapphire Princess.

I did this trip last year (minus Flam). What I learned was that I saw a lot of fjords even though it wasn't listed on the description.

It was amazing trip - I am booked on the trip this summer to go to Flam.