Infant Amenities (Nautica)

weetzie00

We are planning a family cruise with 3 generations. We will have a 1 year old. I understand Oceania is not ideal for children. However, does anyone know or can anyone currently cruising answer the following:

• Are there high chairs available in the dining areas?
  • Are there changing tables in the public restrooms?
  • Are cribs available upon request?

Thanks!

Not having traveled with ANY children, I think the answer to all of your questions is no.  Surely someone will correct me if so.

If you have a TA, these questions might be directed to that person.  OR to Oceania itself.

I know that I've never seen a high chair in the dining areas, nor have I seen changing table in the public restrooms.

As to the availability of cribs -- I have no idea, but I'd suspect NOT.  That doesn't mean they don't exist, but as you know Oceania has never catered to infants being on board.  They are no longer banned (as they once were, at least on Renaissance and I think they were on early Oceania) -- I just would think cribs are not stocked on board as a matter of course.

I may well be wrong!

Mura

This really is not the best cruise line for travel with a baby. There are no amenities. I’ve only ever seen babies on ship for a few days visiting crew. Never as a guest. No changing stations in restrooms. I can’t imagine taking a baby into the dining room or a restaurant. 

There are cruise lines that are set up to appeal to families. Oceania is not one of them. 

Good Luck to you.

Oceania is definitely not set up for infants, so you will have to bring everything for the child with regards to food, diapers and all the other baby items.  There are no public changing tables and IF there is any kind of crib, it will be a Pack N Play type, and you will need to bring sheets from home.  

Did you book the cruise already?  If not, if you choose a cruise where there are more than two consecutive sea days, the child will need to be at least 18 months to be permitted to travel.  And, if the child has any kind of health issues, just realize that medical center is not at all equipped for infants and their specific issues. 

• Like 2

We’ve traveled extensively with kids of all sizes but not on Oceania.  There will be no amenities for infants.  The only infants I’ve seen have belonged to ship officers, or the captain.  

We look forward to an Oceania family designated Alaska cruise but we have to wait a while.  Kids must be five years old to participate in the programming.  

Agree with previous comments- if you haven’t booked it go no further.  If it is too late to change your plans, good luck.   

We don’t love Disney but we’ve taken Disney cruises with our little ones.  They supply pack and plays, high chairs,  diaper Jeanis,  drinking cups with lids, child care centers.  

14 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Oceania is definitely not set up for infants, so you will have to bring everything for the child with regards to food, diapers and all the other baby items.  There are no public changing tables and IF there is any kind of crib, it will be a Pack N Play type, and you will need to bring sheets from home.  

Did you book the cruise already?  If not, if you choose a cruise where there are more than two consecutive sea days, the child will need to be at least 18 months to be permitted to travel.  And, if the child has any kind of health issues, just realize that medical center is not at all equipped for infants and their specific issues. 

That's not correct per the Oceania FAQs. Minimum age is 12 months for cruises with three or more consecutive sea days.

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005361153-Can-I-bring-children-under-the-age-of-18-  :

Infants must be at least 6 months of age on the day of boarding or at least 12 months of age on the day of boarding if the cruise has 3 or more consecutive day at sea. "

Thanks for all the input! I forgot to check back to my post 😑 I was already aware Oceania is not a good cruise line for kids, but the Grandparents are avid Oceania cruisers and despite me expressing these concerns - what they say goes 😜. We will obviously cruise with family-friendly cruise lines if it were just us. This cruise is not for the enrichment of my child, but for the benefit of the Grandparents. Looks like we will just be packing a LOT of stuff 🤷‍♀️. I have verified with Oceania that he will be old enough to cruise.

• Like 1

I find it curious that the grandparents are experienced Oceania cruisers but still think it's a good idea to bring a young child on an Oceania cruise!  I'm not sure it will be so much fun for Mom and Dad...

• Like 1

I am always and will continue to be considerate of others. Nonetheless I, too, will be a paying customer. As will he. It also cannot be assumed that the child will be a nuisance to others; children embody a wide arrange of personalities. There are an endless number of things others do that are annoying or rude, old and young, but I would never expect them to modify their behaviors or decisions to appease me.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, weetzie00 said:

I am always and will continue to be considerate of others. Nonetheless I, too, will be a paying customer. As will he. It also cannot be assumed that the child will be a nuisance to others; children embody a wide arrange of personalities. There are an endless number of things others do that are annoying or rude, old and young, but I would never expect them to modify their behaviors or decisions to appease me.

As the term "infant" implies that your child will not be toilet trained or able to communicate outside of crying, I believe that your view of his impact is, well, optimistic.

• Like 2

Children, especially babies, when they are forced to be in an environment that is not set up to be child friendly, are not going to be happy. I would hope that responsible adults would have the wisdom to recognize that and not put their child, as well as the people around their child in an uncomfortable situation, regardless of whether they’ve paid for it or not.  

I love children, but if I was on an Oceania Cruise and was awakened at 3AM by a crying baby, I would not be happy. On a Disney Cruise, I would be more understanding. The same with dining. And most other Oceania activities. 

• Like 1

wow.  You folks are really being nasty.  One toddler on a ship full of people is going to upset your tender sensibilities?

I took my 9 month old grandchild and his parents on a Holland America cruise and he was the biggest celebrity on the ship.  People would engage him every where we went.  The staff was particularly happy to see him since they missed their children at home.

I would suggest taking a small blow up pool so your child can play with water on the balcony or deck.  He or she won't be allowed in the pool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The good thing about loving Mothers is at least they do recognize when their infants diapers need to be changed and do so. Been on O shore tours when grandma or grandpa’s diaper badly needed changing and the spouse was obviously to acclimated to the odors! Should we ban adults in diapers also? What happens when the people around them start crying?

if we expect Mothers to carry diaper bags, shouldn’t we likewise expect grandma too?

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Are children allowed in a Specialty restaurant? 

You are aware there are no babysitting services available even if you wanted to pay for them? 

I've seen a few kids but I don't remember if I've ever seen a highchair. The only time I've seen children that small is when the parents had a full time nanny on board with them which freed them up to go to dinner without the child, or tours, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

As the term "infant" implies that your child will not be toilet trained or able to communicate outside of crying, I believe that your view of his impact is, well, optimistic.

1 year olds are certainly able to communicate in more ways than just crying. 

44 minutes ago, wripro said:

They only think of themselves, not their kids or grandkids and certainly not other passengers.

I could say the same of those in this forum.

This cruise is for a special occasion and we are just trying to create a lasting memory with people we love while we still can. But I don't feel it's necessary to further justify my intentions. I appreciate all the feedback, positive and negative, nonetheless. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, weetzie00 said:

1 year olds are certainly able to communicate in more ways than just crying. 

I could say the same of those in this forum.

This cruise is for a special occasion and we are just trying to create a lasting memory with people we love while we still can. But I don't feel it's necessary to further justify my intentions. I appreciate all the feedback, positive and negative, nonetheless. 

Believe it or not some of these people are actually trying to do you a favor, not condemn you. 

• Like 2

You know, you originated the post. People gave you their honest opinions. Obviously you were only looking for support of your own opinion. I’m sorry you’re not satisfied with the results but people have been honest with you. I think you have been best about making your own argument about selfish, irresponsible behavior. 

• Like 2