I noticed fewer bars on the Edge. Is it a problem?

SandG

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

I’m thinking the same thing, cruisestitch. We’re booked on the April TA, and I wonder where everyone will go if the crew must lock down outside access due to weather. When we had a bit of bad weather on our Reflection TA and Silhouette Baltic cruises, passengers were able to find spots at inside bars and lounges.

It appears, from previous reviews, that there are a few 'nooks and crannies' within Eden itself where passengers can go to 'get away from it all' in these types of situations and/or meet others without having to necessarily congregate at the bar there, unless they wanted to.

While there may be other places, I have not read any reviews or reveals yet about them.

bon voyage

14 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

It appears, from previous reviews, that there are a few 'nooks and crannies' within Eden itself where passengers can go to 'get away from it all' in these types of situations and/or meet others without having to necessarily congregate at the bar there, unless they wanted to.

While there may be other places, I have not read any reviews or reveals yet about them.

bon voyage

Thanks Bo. I believe I have read all the Edge reviews on CC, and most of the comments, and I still don’t know how well the indoor spaces will accommodate everyone in the case of bad weather. I’m quite used to seeking elusive seating when the areas around the bars are packed, but first I must be able to obtain a drink from the bar😉  According to various reports, it is not always easy to do so. I believe you will sail Edge before I do, so I’ll look forward to your comments on your cruise.

Cheers,

Michelle 

Edited by Silkroad

21 minutes ago, hcat said:

One solution..order double wine at dinner and take it back to your enclosed Veranda....Bring some downloaded music and you,ll be set! 

If that is what I must do, I may as well save thousands of dollars and stay home, where I have a fully stocked wine closet, music, and a beautiful screened porch on which to relax. Also, I would be seeking a pre-dinner cocktail at the bar, not wine.

Edited by Silkroad

2 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks Bo. I believe I have read all the Edge reviews on CC, and most of the comments, and I still don’t know how well the indoor spaces will accommodate everyone in the case of bad weather. I’m quite used to seeking elusive seating when the areas around the bars are packed, but first I must be able to obtain a drink from the bar😉  According to various reports, it is not always easy to do so. I believe you will sail Edge before I do, so I’ll look forward to your comments on your cruise.

Cheers,

Michelle 

s - I will be at the mercy of your reviews as we do not sail until 24 Nov 2019... too, too, too far down road!

I Am sure you will let us know your findings on same...

bon voyage

10 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

s - I will be at the mercy of your reviews as we do not sail until 24 Nov 2019... too, too, too far down road!

I Am sure you will let us know your findings on same...

bon voyage

Am I correct in thinking you & your group are booked in IVs (as are we)? I’ll definitely post a review, with photos, though I’m not sure I’ll be be ready to try a live review🙂

57 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

If that is what I must do, I may as well save thousands of dollars and stay home, where I have a fully stocked wine closet, music, and a beautiful screened porch on which to relax. Also, I would be seeking a pre-dinner cocktail at the bar, not wine.

Well, I tried...

.There were  many choices on M and S  class. We are not Martini Bar people but seems that where the alcohol will be served...There may be  a few spots they could turn into small lounges,,,but not sure if that is in the plan,,,at least not in time for my Jan cruise.

Just now, hcat said:

Well, I tried...

.There were  many choices on M and S  class. We are not Martini Bar people but seems that where the alcohol will be served...There may be  a few spots they could turn into small lounges,,,but not sure if that is in the plan,,,at least not in time for my Jan cruise.

Thanks hcat, but out of consideration for people on either side of us, we don’t play music on our Veranda. Like you, we preferred venues like the Ensemble Lounge and Rendevous Lounge in which to enjoy live music and drinks. We’ll keep open minds, and use the tips Oville, Vt, & Mike Priesman (amongst others) have kindly posted. Based on reviews thus far, I have cancelled the premium beverage packages I booked during one of the flash sales. Though we enjoy trying new cocktails & wines while on board, we will survive if we cannot obtain them. If Celebrity wants us to spend money in their bars, they’d better up their game.

Interesting you cancelled your upgraded package.

We never play music without headphones on a balcony...but we have an Enclosed Veranda... and are planning on the window being closed most of the time so I don't think the sound will travel...

We are lucky to have Vt,  and the others to give us good ideas,

I don't drink every day,, dh has his evening scotch.but we  just like a nice place to enjoy music, other guests....etc   i already have a list of little spots on board,..and it's only a week cruise...planning for spa, Solarium and thermal suite time!

17 minutes ago, hcat said:

Interesting you cancelled your upgraded package.

Actually it wasn’t an upgraded package. We’re booked on a TA, so no perks.

That’s exactly what we’d like. A nice place to enjoy music, other guests etc. I have a list of places too. The spa looks beautiful! I’m looking forward to reading your impressions of it.

53 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks hcat, but out of consideration for people on either side of us, we don’t play music on our Veranda. Like you, we preferred venues like the Ensemble Lounge and Rendevous Lounge in which to enjoy live music and drinks. We’ll keep open minds, and use the tips Oville, Vt, & Mike Priesman (amongst others) have kindly posted. Based on reviews thus far, I have cancelled the premium beverage packages I booked during one of the flash sales. Though we enjoy trying new cocktails & wines while on board, we will survive if we cannot obtain them. If Celebrity wants us to spend money in their bars, they’d better up their game.

I can always see what I can do for you, that is if you want me to do that...hmmm...just a thought!  You did not share that with me...where there is a will, there is a way!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

I remember when the final reveal came out - I found the deck plans and hated to post them on CC because of the lack of an actual lounge (The Club and Eden were multipurpose). I was concerned because having a drink and listening to music (mellow) before or after dinner is an important part of out cruise experience.

We didn't miss not having a nice lounge like Ensemble as much as I thought on our 3 short cruises because we were so busy trying to do everything on this new ship. We generally ate late every night and the restaurant became our entertainment. We had lovely cocktails at the restaurants and some nice wines with dinner. When we weren't eating with someone, the waiters would stop and chat and we always ended up having wonderful food and drink and an experience because it was all new. On subsequent cruises, I imagine we will miss it more.

We did get to listen to music we liked some, just not enough and I will give them the benefit of the doubt while they figure out what works. There was mellow music in the Club one night for two sets - The Reckless Charms are so talented (all female group from Nashville sang Adele, James Taylor, Indie Pop and much more). I hope they are there in January. There was  piano/sax in the Grand Plaza and the guitarist, Michael Reddon and Reckless Charms in the RTG. All of these places serve drinks. We may just need to adjust to not having the go-to lounge every night, but mix it up.

If people generally are unhappy, there are options for X to change it up. They could do the Eden show less and have various musicians there at night - that would be awesome. There is a lot of open space around the boutique area at the back of the ship before Eden- maybe there is space for an informal area for music and a pop-up bar. Maybe Destination Gateway could be a lounge with music some nights - it is a large space with a catering area, bar, restrooms. Just a few ideas...

Though I'm disappointed in their lack of foresight in not having a dedicated bar/lounge (for our wants anyway 😉), they may respond to the guest reviews and modify their visions. They may be hitting the mark for the majority or they may have gotten it all wrong - time will tell.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I remember when the final reveal came out - I found the deck plans and hated to post them on CC because of the lack of an actual lounge (The Club and Eden were multipurpose). I was concerned because having a drink and listening to music (mellow) before or after dinner is an important part of out cruise experience.

We didn't miss not having a nice lounge like Ensemble as much as I thought on our 3 short cruises because we were so busy trying to do everything on this new ship. We generally ate late every night and the restaurant became our entertainment. We had lovely cocktails at the restaurants and some nice wines with dinner. When we weren't eating with someone, the waiters would stop and chat and we always ended up having wonderful food and drink and an experience because it was all new. On subsequent cruises, I imagine we will miss it more.

We did get to listen to music we liked some, just not enough and I will give them the benefit of the doubt while they figure out what works. There was mellow music in the Club one night for two sets - The Reckless Charms are so talented (all female group from Nashville sang Adele, James Taylor, Indie Pop and much more). I hope they are there in January. There was  piano/sax in the Grand Plaza and the guitarist, Michael Reddon and Reckless Charms in the RTG. All of these places serve drinks. We may just need to adjust to not having the go-to lounge every night, but mix it up.

If people generally are unhappy, there are options for X to change it up. They could do the Eden show less and have various musicians there at night - that would be awesome. There is a lot of open space around the boutique area at the back of the ship before Eden- maybe there is space for an informal area for music and a pop-up bar. Maybe Destination Gateway could be a lounge with music some nights - it is a large space with a catering area, bar, restrooms. Just a few ideas...

Though I'm disappointed in their lack of foresight in not having a dedicated bar/lounge (for our wants anyway 😉), they may respond to the guest reviews and modify their visions. They may be hitting the mark for the majority or they may have gotten it all wrong - time will tell.

Marilyn, do you think the Club could be used for pre-dinner drinks with relaxing music for pre-dinner cocktails for both seatings?  We were on the Infinity in mid-Nov and the Rendezvous Bar was used for trivia and games when we walked through it pre-dinner, 8:00-8:30 dinner time for us.  We ended up in the Martini Bar each night and I can’t say it was particularly relaxing but that was our only option.

46 minutes ago, Oville said:

Marilyn, do you think the Club could be used for pre-dinner drinks with relaxing music for pre-dinner cocktails for both seatings?  We were on the Infinity in mid-Nov and the Rendezvous Bar was used for trivia and games when we walked through it pre-dinner, 8:00-8:30 dinner time for us.  We ended up in the Martini Bar each night and I can’t say it was particularly relaxing but that was our only option.

I think it will work some of the time. I checked the 3 night cruise dailies and one of the nights they had 2 sets of good (IMO) music there (6:30 and 8:30) so that would have worked for early and late seatings. I think it will have some nights like that and others will be the louder, flashing lights music/activities.

10 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Am I correct in thinking you & your group are booked in IVs (as are we)? I’ll definitely post a review, with photos, though I’m not sure I’ll be be ready to try a live review🙂

Yes, we are all in IV's...

Not to worry about live 'reporting' from the front!

I, too, would like to do a live review but know that it may not be possible with the group and my great desire to explore as much of the ship as I can in the amount of time available!

I may do snippets on port days, as most of the ports we have visited at least twice before...

Thank you and bon voyage

10 hours ago, Oville said:

They held the Elite and above 5-7 Cocktail hour there, and we went once.  It is a dark space, with only some usable seating, and there was some other kind of activity going on by the dance floor.  Not a nice space for this at all.  

They also held the Senior Oftficers Party there and it was jam packed.  There was music for that which was nice,  but again usable seating is limited. We, as others, we seated on things that looked like the Tom Tom in the cabin, plus the leather chaises, where you can only sit your butt on and not lean back.  Who would be lying down on a chaise in The Club, I just do not know.  It is definitely more of a NIghtclub atmosphere. Quasar was even brighter and more inviting in my opinion.

11 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I understand. That’s exactly how we feel. Your review both reaffirmed many of the reasons we booked Edge on day one, and dashed some of our hopes. Even allowing for the need to give a new ship (especially the first in class) and crew time to work out kinks and find their rhythm, the bar/lounge and music decisions seem odd.

Like you, I love music, and I listen to many genres. I hate the artificial age group boxes bandied about on these boards (and everywhere else).  I don’t fit in anyone’s narrow marketing category, and I suspect many people don’t. I may enjoy loud music while driving, working out, cooking, or dancing, but I prefer softer music for pre-dinner cocktails and dining. In other words, mellow music goes with conversation and dining.

I hope Celebrity sorts out the bar/lounge music, and either adds more bars, more bartenders, or both. They also need an indoor space with mellow music for pre-dinner cocktails. I hope to see late December/early January passengers reporting NO loud music disrupting their dining, NO long waits for pre-dinner cocktails, and NO difficulty obtaining their Elite Cocktails. 

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, hcat said:

One solution..order double wine at dinner and take it back to your enclosed Veranda....Bring some downloaded music and you,ll be set! 

Good idea but you would have to rest your glass on that very small excuse for a table!

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Good idea but you would have to rest your glass on that very small excuse for a table!

And we plan to bring that table inside as a coffee table and just use the  even smaller tom tom on the lanai...ha ha

We are excited about the cruise..but hope they work the  "kinkies" out soon!

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

And we plan to bring that table inside as a coffee table and just use the  even smaller tom tom on the lanai...ha ha

We are excited about the cruise..but hope they work the  "kinkies" out soon!

Careful with the tom tom it might not support a wine glass.  Would not want to spill the wine!

17 hours ago, Oville said:

We went to the club one evening for the Captain's Club "Happy Hour" and we had to share the room with a Poetry writing class!  No conducive for a happy hour and no music.  Also the club has very little seating.  They have devans in there!  I'm not going to lay down!!  Also some of the seating has no backs.  You can't relax like that!

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

ok good to know!

Be careful - you never know what the last person left in their tom tom. The cabin attendant didn't think to look inside when cleaning our cabin and we had a little "gift". I thought it would be nice to pay it forward and leave a gift in the tom tom and almost left a bottle of maple syrup....  Maybe we should start a CC tradition of leaving a tom tom gift. 😉

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1