Diamond Lounge Disaster - A Voyager Class Sob Story

Crism

14 hours ago, bilyclub said:

Thank you for the heads up. My first cruise in over a year and I pick the AD. Just have to use those 3 drinks on the road. Was this the first night ? 

No overflow on Adventure? On Explorer the Diamond lounge was so crowded  I used the overflow  lounge on Deck 5(?) so hope that there is a similar solution before my Sept cruise on Adventure.

14 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

This is very similar to the other current first world problem D lounge thread. If the lounge is crowded use the free drink on your card or buy a drink package. Why do people insist on complaining about the D Lounge? I cannot see the logic of standing in line for a free drink k when you can get the same free drink somewhere else on the ship. 

On Independence in October we went to Boleros and Champagne bar instead of the DL.

In both bars people were crowded around the bar getting their own drinks and this is why we normally go to the DL to get waiter service.

Fortunately after a while a waiter came over to our table and because I tip $1 per drink the waiter kept coming back.

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

And just how do you think the many D & D+'s can be eliminated? I guess those of us that have made D+ after many years of loyalty should now mean nothing to the brand.

In our case we have booked a 15 night Princess cruise to Hawaii and a 7 night Europe cruise on P&O so far for next year for a number of reasons but 1 of them is RC cutting our D+ benefits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

It's just me, but if they "solved" the problem by giving you 3 free drinks at any bar, than why is it so important to go through a long line to get a drink instead of relaxing someplace else?  Is the overcrowded club that important?  Or is it just a "status" thing?

I go on many International cruises, and the Diamond Lounge is not this busy but in the Caribbean it is.  You are not going to get me to wait in that line, to get something I can get anyplace on the ship.

I believe it enables users of the DL to consume more than three drinks in the hours that they spend there and then also take two or three drinks with them when they leave.

Edited by Redrobo

2 hours ago, Redrobo said:

I believe it enables users of the DL to consume more than three drinks in the hours that they spend there and then also take two or three drinks with them when they leave.

I have seen more than a few folks walk out with a drink in each hand but I suppose if a third hand was available a drink would have been in that one as well.

I guess I should consider myself lucky in that I still haven't reached D status and have to deal with these headaches. When striving to get to D status I thought about the small extra perks, like the 3 drinks loaded onto your seapass card that can be used at any of the bars around the ship. The whole D lounge sounds pretty terrible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ClemsonTiger96 said:

I guess I should consider myself lucky in that I still haven't reached D status and have to deal with these headaches. When striving to get to D status I thought about the small extra perks, like the 3 drinks loaded onto your seapass card that can be used at any of the bars around the ship. The whole D lounge sounds pretty terrible.

Not at all as far as we are concerned. 

We were on Adventure in November and mostly used the other bar venues for our D+ drinks (which I maybe used 1-2 at the most on a given night).   A few times we stopped by the D Lounge, and the line always moved quickly and never seemed long.   Definitely "disaster" never crossed my mind.   We also were never in a hurry to get anywhere!   I felt the 3 drinks per night to be used at other venues was an excellent way to handle overflow and keep everyone happy.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My solution is to cruise Suite class and use the 3 drinks on my card if the Concierge Lounge is too crowded.  On our last 14-day TA on Brilliance, if the CL and DL were too crowded (and that happened many times) we would sit in the main bar (forget which deck, maybe 6) and watch the herd of cattle Diamond members stand in a long, long line to get into their overflow DL near the main bar (both CL and DL were on deck 14, if I remember correctly.)   There were no crowd issues on our first 14-day TA on Brilliance, not sure what changed.  But the aggravation is just not worth it to me.  We have a cruise on Vision coming up soon, and we'll use the same technique to ensure we have a good time with little stress.....because ain't that what a cruise is for???? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

In our case we have booked a 15 night Princess cruise to Hawaii and a 7 night Europe cruise on P&O so far for next year for a number of reasons but 1 of them is RC cutting our D+ benefits.

Glad you agree that our D+ benefits have been cut...some just don't get that.

On our recent Navigator cruise the Viking Crown Lounge was used in addition to the DL during the Happy Hour.  They had someone stationed at the entrance checking cards every night.

The snacks were set up in both the DL and the Viking Crown. 

Early in the evening it was sometimes standing room only, but that lessened quickly after those who had 1st seating left for dinner.

We always try to zig when everyone else zags, so will usually avoid the DL during peak times. Free drinks aren't the only reason to go to the lounge - we like the specialty coffees with our light breakfast and relaxing with a book during the day. The lounge is usually very quiet then.  In the evenings, we'll go after first dinner seating for our drinks. I do like the snacks (I need to eat if I'm drinking) so prefer the lounge for our pre-dinner cocktails, but if it's packed when we go, we'll just head out to another bar. We've never let the crowd interfere with our enjoying our cruise. Everyone has to find what works for them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jdg623 said:

We always try to zig when everyone else zags, so will usually avoid the DL during peak times. Free drinks aren't the only reason to go to the lounge - we like the specialty coffees with our light breakfast and relaxing with a book during the day. The lounge is usually very quiet then.  In the evenings, we'll go after first dinner seating for our drinks. I do like the snacks (I need to eat if I'm drinking) so prefer the lounge for our pre-dinner cocktails, but if it's packed when we go, we'll just head out to another bar. We've never let the crowd interfere with our enjoying our cruise. Everyone has to find what works for them.

Bravo! Well said...couldn't agree more.  Thanks. ☺️

I feel more comfortable sharing a table/seating arrangement with people in the D/L knowing that we have at least one thing in common as opposed to other venues on the ship.

That one thing being how terrible Royal treats us.............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Viking Crown" is the spillover outside of the DL...but all drinks are applied to your 3 vouchers. They're very liberal and let you bring drinks/food out to the VC, thankfully.

In other news, food in the MDR is fantastic, and a step above Allure from my Oct-Nov cruise!

33 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

I feel more comfortable sharing a table/seating arrangement with people in the D/L knowing that we have at least one thing in common as opposed to other venues on the ship.

That one thing being how terrible Royal treats us.............

What if you're seated in the dining room at a table with lower status cruiser's...are you also uncomfortable?

Edited by Ashland