Has anyone taken Uber or Lyft Galveston to IAH and cost?

LA Native

There’s an online estimator but would love to hear from someone who actually did this.  My daughter and family (4 pax) need to get to IAH after Liberty cruise ending June 30.  Taxi flat rate is $160.  Anyone actually taken Lyft or Uber from Galveston cruise terminal and recall cost? Or if there was surge pricing?  Many thanks. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also considering taking an Uber from the port to IAH. Or take an Uber from the port to the Texas City Budget, where we can rent a car for $30 and take our time getting back to IAH. I've used the price estimator, but it doesn't account for surge pricing. I'm wondering about the probability of surge pricing during ship departures and arrivals. Hopefully somebody can give real experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the opposite we did IAH to our hotel in Galveston Jan 2018 and it was $65 for 3 of us. After the cruise, we did the port to Texas City car rental and that was $22. Both with Uber hopefully you get newer and exact rates. I have also found if you go on to Uber on a Sat or Sunday morning at the time you would be looking you can do a kind of "mock" booking and get a better idea of the cost.

We took an Uber for 4 of us from Houston Hobby Airport the night before the cruise to Moody's Garden Hotel for $85.00  Then the morning of the cruise we took another Uber to the ship and it took 45 min to find an uber driver to accept, then an hour and half until they were free to take us to the port from the hotel.  Rates were prime that morning.  It cost us $76 to go a couple miles from the hotel to the ship.  On the trip back, we purchased the transportation from Royal Caribbean for $34 a person, walked on the bus and went straight to Hobby with no issues.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:50 AM, Nemomof3 said:

I have also found if you go on to Uber on a Sat or Sunday morning at the time you would be looking you can do a kind of "mock" booking and get a better idea of the cost.

done this a few times now and rates are pretty steady at the times I've been looking.

Ouch $76 dollar from Moody to ship, much more than a cab I belive

On 1/21/2019 at 7:17 PM, Jasonfischer1976 said:

We took an Uber for 4 of us from Houston Hobby Airport the night before the cruise to Moody's Garden Hotel for $85.00  Then the morning of the cruise we took another Uber to the ship and it took 45 min to find an uber driver to accept, then an hour and half until they were free to take us to the port from the hotel.  Rates were prime that morning.  It cost us $76 to go a couple miles from the hotel to the ship.  On the trip back, we purchased the transportation from Royal Caribbean for $34 a person, walked on the bus and went straight to Hobby with no issues.

😳 $76 from Moody Gardens to the ship.....that is highway robbery.