Can I use a laminated birth certificate for my ID?

lissajeff24

I laminated my almost 45 year old original birth certificate because it was tearing badly (I mean, it's 45 years old :classic_biggrin:) and it just dawned on me that CCL might not accept that.  Does anyone know if they will take it?  Do they care?  (I never re-did my passport after it expired and now it's too late and I don't want to spend the $$ on it right now either.)  Thanks y'all! 

Why not Carnival and ask someone there? You'll have a better chance of getting correct information there than you will on here. And, of course, you'll need a photo I.D., such as a driver's license.

Edited by beachbum53

My parents laminated my birth certificate when I was a baby. I have a passport now but I used it for my first nine cruises or so. Only once did the person checking it comment about hardly being able to tell the seal was raised. 

7 minutes ago, ToriB said:

My parents laminated my birth certificate when I was a baby. I have a passport now but I used it for my first nine cruises or so. Only once did the person checking it comment about hardly being able to tell the seal was raised. 

They shouldn't have said anything as the seal doesn't need to be raised.

Each state has a process to get original certificates of birth issued (Vital Statistics Office), you do not need the one that was issued at birth.  It is not expensive and is quite easy.  There is no way of telling beforehand whether a laminated document will be accepted; you may be told it is fine on the phone and get to the pier and then have an issue.  Do not chance it.  Get an original issued by your birth State or renew you passport...

44 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Just make a copy of the original one and take the copy with you. That way you're not tearing up the original one or losing it or anything. Then just fold up the copy you take with you and stick in your pocket. 😉

A copy of the original is sufficient? I keep seeing I need to get a copy from a local service station but time is running out. 4 of 5 of us have passports. The other only has a passport card (son last actual passport). I have been told the passport card will be sufficient, but want to have the birth certificate available for him as backup. But we only have one original copy.

49 minutes ago, BENHANDEL said:

A copy of the original is sufficient? I keep seeing I need to get a copy from a local service station but time is running out. 4 of 5 of us have passports. The other only has a passport card (son last actual passport). I have been told the passport card will be sufficient, but want to have the birth certificate available for him as backup. But we only have one original copy.

A passport card is sufficient...nothing else is needed beyond that.  

Now saying that...even though we have passport cards, I do bring our birth certificates in separate bags (and take pics of the cards and the bc"s) because I am neurotic about making sure I never get denied boarding in case one or the other gets lost or stolen :)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

The passport card by itself is sufficient but you can bring a copy of the birth certificate if it makes you feel better (you could even take a picture of it with your phone so you have one less thing to carry). Will you be bringing birth certificates for the passport holders as back up? If not, why not? For the cruise the passport and passport card are just as good😊.

OP, I know of no conceivable reason why a laminated birth certificate shouldn't be accepted but this is the first time that I've seen this particular question. Since you've received feedback from one poster that they used one I would think that you'd be okay.

10 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

The passport card is a "mini passport" that has restrictions, such as only land crossings and closed loop cruises.  Having a passport card is the only document you need for ID. 

13 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

The passport card is a "mini passport" that has restrictions, such as only land crossings and closed loop cruises.  Having a passport card is the only document you need for ID. 

Not that they are offered too much any more but the passport card may also be used for open jaw cruises within the WHTI. 

11 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

bc.PNG

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, fuddrules said:

They shouldn't have said anything as the seal doesn't need to be raised.

The seal needs to be raised if it suppose to be raised.  It does not need to be raised, if other security measures are in place.  Basically what I'm saying is that "all" security measures must be present, based on when and where it was produced.  If the security measure is altered, than the document is void.  There is not "general" rule. 

14 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

If the security measure is altered, than the document is void.  There is not "general" rule. 

Joseph, as far as Carnival is concerned, you're talking out of your wazoo. 

From Carnival:

An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics 

If they allow a copy, which they clearly do,  its impossible for the seal to raise if one is on the original 

Here's a full link, this is near the bottom 

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/~/travel-documentation%3A-u.s.-citizens

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

The seal needs to be raised if it suppose to be raised.  It does not need to be raised, if other security measures are in place.  Basically what I'm saying is that "all" security measures must be present, based on when and where it was produced.  If the security measure is altered, than the document is void.  There is not "general" rule. 

None of it matters to CBP since they won't have the actual certificate when the vet the passenger during the cruise. They'll have the information from the certificate and that's all they need to verify with the issuing authority that a birth certificate was issued to Jane Q Passenger on January 1, 1900, which is sufficient to establish citizenship.