Ovation reposition in September 2020

morrowz

I am frustrated ,we can book ,Seattle to Vancouver ,in Alaska,and Vancouver to Honolulu,but RCL,won’t release Honolulu to Sydney ,until March ,my worry is that it won’t come down to Sydney but go elsewhere 🤔,I would like to book early to get the same cabins ,🤷‍♀️I know I should just wait ,but I worry it will increase in price and the cabins won’t be available ,thoughts fellow cruisers ,thanks 🤦‍♀️

We apparently can’t leave the ship in Honolulu due to the “Jones act”,where you can’t embark and disembark from 2 USA ports 🤷‍♀️,and we wanted to sail home to Australia ,but if it goes to Singapore it wouldn’t be the end of the world I suppose.yes I think I will book the first 2 cruises ,and see what happens,thankyou for you opinion 

1 hour ago, morrowz said:

We apparently can’t leave the ship in Honolulu due to the “Jones act”,where you can’t embark and disembark from 2 USA ports 🤷‍♀️,and we wanted to sail home to Australia ,but if it goes to Singapore it wouldn’t be the end of the world I suppose.yes I think I will book the first 2 cruises ,and see what happens,thankyou for you opinion 

Please post an update if you are able to book the first two cruises.  I'm curious if Royal allows it.

4 hours ago, morrowz said:

The Jones Act tends to be incorrectly cited a lot of the time. It is in fact the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) that restricts direct passage between two US ports. The Jones Act covers the transport of goods/cargo whilst the PVSA is for passengers - almost the same, but still two separate acts.

Edited by ivanp91
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 7:38 AM, morrowz said:

We have to decide by the 19 th december ,the rep for RCCL ,has given us extra time ,and will hold our cabin request before we have to pay the deposit,,I will let you know what happens 

What happened?

On 12/11/2018 at 2:27 AM, morrowz said:

You have been given bad information....you can’t do those cruises at all because of the PVSA. You will be able to if the final leg ends in a foreign port, like Sydney or Singapore. However, the Hawaii leg boards in Canada, so you could do that leg and the other leg after. You just can’t board in Seattle and end in Honolulu.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

You have been given bad information....

OP wants to go from Seattle to Sydney but the third leg, Honolulu to Sydney, is not yet bookable, so they were going to book the first two legs for now. Not sure where the bad info is?

42 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

You have been given bad information....you can’t do those cruises at all because of the PVSA. You will be able to if the final leg ends in a foreign port, like Sydney or Singapore. However, the Hawaii leg boards in Canada, so you could do that leg and the other leg after. You just can’t board in Seattle and end in Honolulu.

He seems  to understand that.  It was the problem that the first two cruises were available for booking as of December 11, when he posted, but the ongoing leg was not.  Once it became available, it would be legal to book the first two as long as he also booked the third.

Hello ,I have booked the first two cruises ,so the Ovation must be going on to a foreign port ,surely ,or they wouldn’t take our booking 🤞hopefully Sydney ,.thankyou all for your comments .Rccl representative,says March before they release the next port after Honolulu.

9 minutes ago, morrowz said:

Hello ,I have booked the first two cruises ,so the Ovation must be going on to a foreign port ,surely ,or they wouldn’t take our booking 

It could also be that they are not paying attention and the check for PVSA violations some time later - hopefully not before you book the third leg.

Edited by Biker19

3 minutes ago, morrowz said:

Hello ,I have booked the first two cruises ,so the Ovation must be going on to a foreign port ,surely ,or they wouldn’t take our booking 🤞hopefully Sydney ,.thankyou all for your comments .Rccl representative,says March before they release the next port after Honolulu.

It will only be a legal journey once you've booked the third leg to Sydney.  Booking agents are often clueless when it comes to these matters and will still allow you to book illegal segments.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

OP wants to go from Seattle to Sydney but the third leg, Honolulu to Sydney, is not yet bookable, so they were going to book the first two legs for now. Not sure where the bad info is?

I understand what he wanted to do. The bad info was someone telling him he couldn’t leave the ship in Honolulu.

I’m surprised he was allowed to book the 2 legs. Maybe it’s not flagged on Royal, but as others said, he will be good to go once the Sydney leg comes up.

Edited by crzndeb

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

He can't if he embarks in Seattle, the way he has it booked currently.

Well technically, he wouldn’t be allowed to book those 2 legs together, so he wouldn’t be on the ship in Honolulu to be able to leave it. But it really is a moot point since he wants to go to Sydney anyway.

I just hope they don’t catch it before that leg comes out, and make him cancel one of the first 2 legs, and mess up his cabin choice. I did the exact 3 legs in 2012 on another cruise line. 

The cruises are Seattle to Vancouver (Alaskan cruise) and the next cruise is Vancouver to Hawaii so there's no issues with any legislation.

Would doubt Ovation will go back to Singapore as they have the new Sprectrum of the Seas moving into the Asian market.

Edited by Poochie71

3 hours ago, Poochie71 said:

The cruises are Seattle to Vancouver (Alaskan cruise) and the next cruise is Vancouver to Hawaii so there's no issues with any legislation.

Yes, there is an issue. You can't cruise between two US ports without visiting a distant foreign port. So Seattle to Honolulu would be a violation.

1 hour ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

Yes, there is an issue. You can't cruise between two US ports without visiting a distant foreign port. So Seattle to Honolulu would be a violation.

Correct, it's a violation of the PVSA.  As  long as he books the third leg to Sydney he's OK.

2 minutes ago, Poochie71 said:

They're two back to back cruises that both visit Canada. I don't see an issue.

Because the first cruise departs from Seattle and the second cruise ends in Honolulu they must visit a foreign distant port in order to satisfy the PVSA.  Canadian port's are not deemed foreign distant ports, therefore it would violate the PVSA.  Totally different from the Jones act which simply requires a stop in another country if the cruise is closed loop from a US port.

6 minutes ago, Poochie71 said:

They're two back to back cruises that both visit Canada. I don't see an issue.

Because the OP's cruise starts and ends at different US ports, they have to visit a distant foreign port, which is not Canada.