Sydney OPT - TRS

rossip

Sydney OPT - I have been able to ascertain that there is a TRS desk there to claim your refunds but what Im trying too verify is the opening hours of that desk . I have read that its only open 4 hours before departure others have said its open all day on a departure date. We sail 6.45but have a boarding time of 12.30 - will the TRS desk be open at that time ?

Anyone know or had any experience ?

It's not going to be open "all day" i.e. from midnight to midnight. It's going to be available at peak boarding time though which tends to be from around 11 a.m. on. If it isn't open at the time you arrive, you can just wait nearby for it to be attended, but I'm sure at 1230 you'll be fine.

There's always been someone in attendance when we were boarding, normally between 12noon & 1;30pm. Never seen anyone actually getting their refund, just a bored agent - guess there's not too many seeking a tax refund, as distinct to the airport. Maybe time for a different system - really, how many people are departing Sydney on a cruise, taking recently purchased goods & not returning with the goods - the actual 'rules' governing the refund. Yes, I know that no one checks you bring them back, so you can get your 10% GST refund, but that is not what the TRS is about.

Anyway, OP you should be fine as others have said.

57 minutes ago, mr walker said:

There's always been someone in attendance when we were boarding, normally between 12noon & 1;30pm. Never seen anyone actually getting their refund, just a bored agent - guess there's not too many seeking a tax refund, as distinct to the airport. Maybe time for a different system - really, how many people are departing Sydney on a cruise, taking recently purchased goods & not returning with the goods - the actual 'rules' governing the refund. Yes, I know that no one checks you bring them back, so you can get your 10% GST refund, but that is not what the TRS is about.

Anyway, OP you should be fine as others have said.

Just 3 weeks ago on Carnival Spirit there was a line of about 8 people waiting for the TRS desk and it took about 10 minutes so I think it just depends what time. Seemed popular when we used it, queue seemed consistent as well, people arrived after us and kept it the same length. 

We we were actually hoping some of the other customs officers doing nothing as immigration was quiet would come help but it wasn’t the case. 

Per the rules you can still “officially” return with the goods as long as it is under the duty free allowance it’s just like buying something overseas and bringing it back to Australia. Otherwise technically you would need to declare the items and pay the tax on them once again 😂

Got $70 back off a new phone so it was worth it in my opinion and as for original post it is open the whole time that customs is open 👍

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:01 AM, cruisin-m said:

Per the rules you can still “officially” return with the goods as long as it is under the duty free allowance it’s just like buying something overseas and bringing it back to Australia. Otherwise technically you would need to declare the items and pay the tax on them once again 😂

Thanks for clarifying, and good that you got a refund. I did also a few years ago on a camera, but at airport.

Guess I just don't understand the point of the scheme, or at least it's application to locals who will return with the goods they got a refund on? I imagine the intent was/is similar to OS schemes, where the government offers an incentive (return of tax) to visitors as an incentive to buy goods in the country they are visiting, but we now have a scheme where locals are getting a refund, for something they bought anyway, and they are paying someone to do provide that service??  I guess the person would be there anyway, to service the bona-fide travellers. All good I guess.