Anyone drop a perk after booking?

wendycook22

I have a question that I was wondering if someone on here has an answer before I reach out to Celebrity.

Here is the given situation: 

My brother in lawn and sister in law are currently booked on a cruise.  She is very hesitant on giving cruising a try (I have tried everything to convince her to give it a shot).  
It looks likely that she will be dropped from the reservation and it will just be my brother in law sailing on our cruise.  

He has confirmed with Celebrity that she can be dropped prior to final payment. 

BUT the new question at hand is this:

When he booked he upgraded to go better to have both the drink package and perks for an additional 180.00 for both of them.  
It shows online that even if you are one person upgrading to a second perk, it is still 180.00 (for one person), BUT you would only get 150.00 OBC not 300.00 OBC.

It would no longer be justified to pay for the second perk, 180.00 for 150.00 OBC doesn't make sense to upgrade in the event he drops the second person.  
Has anyone dropped a perk after booking, prior to final payment?  It would be in his best interest to also drop a perk and not pay more to get less.  

I know I can call Celebrity to confirm, but I don't have the time right now, and I am in no rush to get a reply.  Just looking to see other people's experiences.  

Thanks in advance! 

It is a possibility that someone may be confused about all the information.

if your sister and brother in law on in one cabin, he may pay a surcharge if he is planning to cruise alone.

How long is the cruise and what category is he booked?

I did it recently.   I was booked via an agency which didn't cause any problems.    In my case I had booked with perks and then a residential rate popped up that was much cheaper.   My case may be different than yours as I am Zenith and already get most of the perks.    The reduction was more than enough to make it economical for me to go without the Tips and 300 OBC and pay the tips instead.   

When I cancelled the agent had to call into Celebrity to reprice without the perks. 

9 minutes ago, twincheryl said:

I always sail in a solo cabin and if I get the obc perk it is $300 instead of $150.

This is great to know.  I was going based on the website that states 150.00 pp.  Especially since you are paying the same for one person vs two.  

Greatly appreciate all the responses! If that is the case it would be worth while keeping the second perk.   :)