Shuttle from Fort Lauderdale to Miami

JoleneL

We land in Fort Lauderdale at 13.15 on Jan4th and need to get to Miami the same day. We are staying in a hotel and are getting on the MSC cruise ship on Jan 5th.

What is the best way to get a shuttle?  Do I need to book early?  Or can we do this from the airport? Thank you.

19 hours ago, JoleneL said:

We land in Fort Lauderdale at 13.15 on Jan4th and need to get to Miami the same day. We are staying in a hotel and are getting on the MSC cruise ship on Jan 5th.

What is the best way to get a shuttle?  Do I need to book early?  Or can we do this from the airport? Thank you.

Uber or Left are both under $60.00  Fll airport to Miami hotels. 

If the least expensive way is what you're looking for and don't mind schlepping luggage, take the Tri-rail from the FLL airport to Mia airport.  If our hotel has a comp shuttle from MIA airport, call them for a pick-up. If the fare has not gone up in the past 6 months, the Tri-rail is $6 and change pp on a weekday and $5 on a weekend. It's not the quickest or most convenient, but if cost is an issue, it's the least expensive.

how many? If under 4, you are better off with an uber/lyft.

If 4+, you are better off walking out to where ubers/lyfts park and choose a car to your liking - that's what we just did a month ago. When we ordered an uber through the app, they sent a Hyundai Accent, which cannot accommodate 3 adults, 1 kid in a car seat and 3 large suitcases. So, we just walked out to the Ground transportation lot and picked an uber car we could definitely fit in (Nissan Altima).

On 12/12/2018 at 11:56 AM, taglovestocruise said:

Uber or Left are both under $60.00  Fll airport to Miami hotels. 

Thank you, My phone will be off, as we are from Canada.  Can I get an uber without turning on my phone? Thanks,

17 minutes ago, JoleneL said:

Thank you, My phone will be off, as we are from Canada.  Can I get an uber without turning on my phone? Thanks,

Read post 5 from itchy and scratchy. I know when we returned from our cruise to Miami several people at our table were planning to just walk over to the Lyft / Uber parking area.  When you leave baggage at Hollywood there are taxis right outside the door, maybe someone will chime in if there is also Ubers or Lyft.  WORST choice would be a tax to Miami. happy cruisingi.

1 minute ago, taglovestocruise said:

Read post 5 from itchy and scratchy. I know when we returned from our cruise to Miami several people at our table were planning to just walk over to the Lyft / Uber parking area.  When you leave baggage at Hollywood there are taxis right outside the door, maybe someone will chime in if there is also Ubers or Lyft.  WORST choice would be a tax to Miami. happy cruisingi.

Thanks. What do you mean by Hollywood ?   I have read that taxis are about 72.00 for 2 people and the shuttle is about the same price.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:10 PM, JoleneL said:

Hi

You could also consider a one way car rental from FLL to MIA. Just make sure the rental company has a shuttle that will bring you to the port (included) from the Miami airport. Many of the companies do. That way you would have the car available to you for the day.

I imagine you have already booked your Miami hotel. If a change of plans were possible, booking a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami would allow you to take one of the shuttles that will transport you from FLL area hotels to Miami cruise port for $15 per person. 

hope this helps

2 hours ago, JoleneL said:

Thanks. What do you mean by Hollywood ?   I have read that taxis are about 72.00 for 2 people and the shuttle is about the same price.

Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport . Taxi for up to five is around $72. Uber/Lyft is about $55.00.  Might check your roll call to see if anyone else on your arrival day is looking to share a Super Shuttle van.  Or just walk out, get a Taxi and relax with no waiting.  Seems like a lot of hassle to save $20.00 happy cruising.   

14 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Taxi for up to five is around $72. Uber/Lyft is about $55.00.

I concur.  I asked at the taxi stand at FLL, and they quoted $75 for the 4 of us FLL to POM. But I am very frugal, so we took an uber for $50 instead. Just walked over about 50 feet (this was at the Spirit baggage claim) and asked the Uber driver of the biggest sedan "how much".

On 12/11/2018 at 4:46 PM, Mike_DeA said:

You'll have better luck in the FL Departure forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

Please don’t do this, this is a good general cruise question that benefits a lot of folks who are not cruising out of Florida. Certainly recommend the another forum for additional information, but don’t redirect them away from this forum.

After cruising for 20 years, we are greatful for Uber because they are faster and cheaper than most shuttles. We recently stayed at a hotel that uses Uber for their airport shuttle. So much easier and faster. 

Our experience is Ubers are about two minutes away at airports, so get your luggage before requesting them. They have 5 minutes or less from cruising terminal, which is very nice for catching early flights.

It’s also convenient that the service automatically charges your credit card, so there is no messing around with paying or tipping the driver. You can choose to tip the driver later thru email if you desire.

Beary

Edited by Beachdude

Thanks for the information.

Do you suggest booking excursions before you arrive on the ship?

We are in Nassau from noon until 7 pm on of our days, and in Charlotte Amalie, Virgen Islands from 7 am - 7 pm.

Thanks, Jolene

3 hours ago, JoleneL said:

Thanks for the information.

Do you suggest booking excursions before you arrive on the ship?

We are in Nassau from noon until 7 pm on of our days, and in Charlotte Amalie, Virgen Islands from 7 am - 7 pm.

Thanks, Jolene

Check your cruise planner for discount excursions, sometime they are 20% off.  Book before hand to guaranty a ship excursion, or as you walk into and out of the terminal you will find many private operators. If you just want to go to Atlantis it is a $5.00 cab ride or $2.00 for the absolutely slowest water taxi in existence. . Lots of heavy traffic in the afternoon, if you go private make sure your back early. 

On 12/13/2018 at 5:22 PM, Nic6318 said:

Hi

You could also consider a one way car rental from FLL to MIA. Just make sure the rental company has a shuttle that will bring you to the port (included) from the Miami airport. Many of the companies do. That way you would have the car available to you for the day.

I imagine you have already booked your Miami hotel. If a change of plans were possible, booking a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami would allow you to take one of the shuttles that will transport you from FLL area hotels to Miami cruise port for $15 per person. 

hope this helps

Thanks! JP

On 12/13/2018 at 6:28 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport . Taxi for up to five is around $72. Uber/Lyft is about $55.00.  Might check your roll call to see if anyone else on your arrival day is looking to share a Super Shuttle van.  Or just walk out, get a Taxi and relax with no waiting.  Seems like a lot of hassle to save $20.00 happy cruising.   

Thanks.JP