Construction at pier

gofeo

I was at Costa Maya November 27, 2018.   If you have any problem walking.  DO NOT get off the ship.    They do not have the tram running that takes you from half way to end of pier.  

I ended up walking over half way in when my wife got me chair for the rest of way.    When I got back from excursion at Maya Chan I waited 45 minutes for wheelchair back to ship.

The local port authorities had only 4 wheelchairs to accommodate 2 ships.  RCCL and a big Princess ship.  I counted them as I passed each chair on pier back to ship.

Thank you for the information.

I knew the pier was being extended to accommodate more than 3 ships.  I believe it is supposed to be finished late winter/early spring 2019, but that's gringo time.:classic_biggrin:

If I may, I suggest all give themselves more time to return to the ship and especially those with mobility issues.  If running late perhaps send a person to the ship to let them know you're on the pier waiting for the chair so they don't leave without you. 

I had this issue when in Costa Maya off the Symphony Thanksgiving week.  Luckily a gentleman named Roberto was near the ship with a wheel chair   and he was at the entrance back when we returned later  in the day.

However, the issue for people who have mobility issues is the pier itself.  It is awful.   We also  were going to Maya Chan and the walk to get to their transport was a nightmare for me.   

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know, gofeo.  I see that 4 ships are scheduled when we return to CM in Jan.  Do you think the const. will be completed by then or will there be tendering ?  On our previous trips there have only been 2 ships docked.  Luckily we can still walk that looong pier if need be.  Thank you.  steve

Not sure what you all were expecting. The Costa Maya pier is pretty similar to just about every other cruise pier...  Who books an excursion outside the port then complains about the walk down the pier and outside the port.... Lol. 

If you have mobility issues, then surely just about every port is a nightmare.

Costa Maya does a pretty darn reasonable job with the tram.  I would think you would be thankful that they typically have that option for you. 

Edited by BNBR

• 1 month later...

We were in Costa Maya in mid January 2019 and there was no tram.  I have mobility issues and walked it with my cane.  Had to stop several times to rest and by the time I got to end I was totally exhausted so was in no mood to go shopping or to go further into the port.

Upon returning to the ship I was lucky to grab one of the 4 wheel chairs and attendant from the port and was transported back to my ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, addicted cruiser said:

We were in Costa Maya in mid January 2019 and there was no tram.  I have mobility issues and walked it with my cane.  Had to stop several times to rest and by the time I got to end I was totally exhausted so was in no mood to go shopping or to go further into the port.

Upon returning to the ship I was lucky to grab one of the 4 wheel chairs and attendant from the port and was transported back to my ship.

Sorry to hear that. Availability seems very random at the moment and it is a long pier depending which pier you dock at.

Years ago we were thankful for the collapsible wheelchair we took for my MIL.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, want2retire said:

We were in Costa Maya on March 22.  There was no tram.  I was told it is not coming back.  We were on a smaller ship Norwegian Pearl, two larger ships were in port.  VERY crowded.

I forgot to report back as I was also there on March 22nd on the Breakaway and there was no tram.

The Allure of the Seas definitely made that day crowded at the port.

I am in Costa Maya today and got a possible explanation for the randomness of when the tram runs. If there are 2 large ships or 3 or more ships in port, they do not run the tram due to the number of people on the pier making it unsafe to run. With the increase in the number of ships stopping here now, especially during the winter cruising season, the days the tram runs will be limited.

While there are no guarantees that they are consistent in this policy, if you do need the tram, and are flexible on your travel dates, I would check CruiseTT.com to see how many other ships are scheduled to be in port on an itinerary you are considering. You may be able to find an itinerary where you will be the only ship in port and the tram may be running.

• Like 1