Solarium Pool on Transatlantic cruise...is it worth it?

Lvntrvl

I can’t imgaine that the Solarium is the only difference between the two ships, bit if it is. NUmber one on your list, you should book the ship that has one, I guess.

otherwise are they the same? Beginning and end points, ports visited? Length of cruise? Loyalty status?

The Silhouette is stunningly beautiful; we've sailed on her twice and she's our favorite ship to date.  We've also enjoyed cruises on NCL, but have never sailed on the Getaway (and there's little about her that would make us want to, YMMV).   We were just on the Silhouette's westbound TA, where the weather pretty much prohibited use of the outdoor pool.  The Solarium pool was used mostly by folks doing aerobics,  and some lap swimming (including by yours truly).   It's a fairly small pool, but it does give you a chance to get in the water when you can't do so outside.  Mostly, folks filled the loungers in the Solarium, and rarely went in the water.  

But there are so many other factors -- do you want the amusement park aspects of the Getaway?  (If so,  you will not find anything like that on the Silhouette.)  What about the itineraries?  Etc.   And with the caveat again that I haven't sailed on the Getaway, my experience is that the food in Celebrity's MDR is far superior to that of NCL.

Celebrity also has Beyond the Podium speakers on its TAs.  Don't know if NCL has anything like that, and perhaps it's not important to you.

To me, there are many things that go into selecting a TA. . .

Thank you for your responses.  We both love to swim and be outside, however I am concerned that it may be too cold on a transatlantic cruise to enjoy the pool deck unless there is a solarium.  Any thoughts on eastbound in April versus westbound in October as far as the weather is concerned?

We’ve done both April/May TA and Oct (and Nov) TA  we had great weather except a few rain days on the Nov TA, and we used the inside Solarium pool mainly. The Wx was good enough for outside, but we enjoy the M-Class and S-Class inside pools. But no one can give you a cut on what Wx you will face on any cruise. 

And agree, there is much more to the Silhouette then the Solarium pool. Not been on any NCL cruise so can’t say, but our friends just came back from an NCL which they had done many times and said the service and dining was well below their favorite LIne which is Princess. So this isn’t some Celebrity cheerleader, it is just (subjective) opinon. 

We Love Celebrity TA’s because of the excellent lectures and the outstanding service. So much to do.....for us. We will be doing the Silhouette TA in Oct 2019 because of the great ports (Southampton/Boston/Overnight NYC/Overnight Bermuda!! /Nassau(yawn)/FLL. 

Den