Flexible Dining, Buffet, Etc...

nyhitmen

So I was reading one of the articles that was emailed to me from this site and I saw that I can select flexible dining so I am not with the same group every night and that also gives me a better chance for a 2 person table. how do i switch to that? I ask because when I setup my cruise it gave me the 6 pm time without asking. What are the pros and cons to this? We want the option to eat alone if need be.

Also it said or eat at the buffet. Does the buffet have open seating and no set dinner times?

On Carnival it is called Your Time Dining and, yes, you have a much better chance of getting a table for 2 with YTD.  If you booked directly through Carnival (either by phone, on the website, or using a PVP), you can log into your Cruise Manager on Carnival.com and simply click the button that says "edit" next to your dining option.  If you booked some other way (TA), you will need to contact your TA to make the change for you.

Note, all dining times are capacity controlled on Carnival.  If YTD is full, you will be waitlisted.  If you still don't have your chosen dining time when you board the ship, simply visit the Maitre d' during the posted hours on embarkation day and request a change or a table for 2.

The buffet on the Lido deck is always open seating.  

Carnival has "Anytime Dining"...you are seated with only your party.....

At all buffets, you go when you want, and sit where you want.

Even with "traditional" dining room seating, you can request to eat alone.  We find having tablemates is more fun...but whatever you want, can be done.

Hi Nyhitmen

It sounds like you have never been on a cruise before. If that is the case you might consider fixed time dining once, just to see if you like it. 

You would be seated at a table with a number of other people. Yes, strangers. Who knows, you might meet someone you get along with. The dining time is the same every day, your tablemates do not change, unless as you mentioned, someone goes to the buffet or one of the specialty venues instead. 

The buffets are always open seating for all meals. Breakfasts are the busiest times at the buffets. Typically the buffets would be open for about 3 hrs. for each meal. The Carnival ships also have 24 hrs. pizza, as well as room service, with some pay items as well as included items. You can eat at the buffets any day you choose. You can eat at the dining room and stop by the buffets later, if you are still hungry. 

If you do not want to dine with others, you can try changing your dining time to YTD (your time dining). You can do this online at your "cruise manager". As it sounds, you show up when you choose and if you ask you will be seated at a table for two. Depending on the ship, these tables might not be as private as some would like. Because many would like a table for two they do sometimes line up a dozen of these tables a foot apart. 

Go to the pages dedicated to the Carnival cruise lines, to ask questions specific to that cruise line or about your specific ship. You will get more, in depth answers to your questions. You can find them if you go to the main forum page and scroll down a bit.

hope this helps

have a great cruise