Yokohama to Tokyo Transportation

max917

We are arriving in Yokohama on March 31, 2019 on the Westerdam (Holland America).  We have booked a hotel in Tokyo. 

Holland is only offering transportation to the airports and to their select hotels in Tokyo. Any ideas on transportation to Tokyo from the port?

We really do not want to take a train with our luggage. Thanks

I lived in Tokyo for nearly 14 years and have been to and from Yokohama many times.  While there are several different, efficient options by train into different parts of Tokyo, I agree that this could be tricky with luggage, even in the middle of the day, non-rush hour.

The best train option would be to use the Tokaido Line trains, which are more long-distance in nature, skipping most of the commuter stations between Yokohama and Tokyo, taking about 30-40 minutes.  You first need to take a 10 minute cab ride to the main Yokohama station, then get tickets for the JR Tokaido Line to Tokyo.  For more comfort with your luggage, I'd recommend paying a $5-8 surcharge for the "Green Car", with proper reclining seats and luggage racks.  The base fare will be around $5-6.  Plenty of Japanese travelers shlep large rolling cases through major stations, either on their way to the airport or to long-distance trains.

Otherwise, it would be a 45-60 minute taxi, which could be very expensive, maybe as much as $200.  Or perhaps check with your hotel to arrange a private hire pickup.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

MAX917 - Just noticed your post re: Yokohama transfer to Tokyo. Have you found a good alternative to using the train? We are on the same cruise and like you, I would rather use a shuttle as opposed to the train (with baggage, etc.).

I have looked for several weeks at various alternatives and none seem good. Popular tour companies like Voyagin and Veltra specifically state on their web that they provide service only for Diamond Princes Cruises. I did get an email from Veltra who indicated that on March 31 ONLY private transportation is available at a cost of $371.68 !!(that's US).

So, if you have a suggestion, would appreciate it; you can send it directly to my email: kitsmith@hotmail.com.

Thanks.

Flgypsy

On 12/12/2018 at 3:54 PM, max917 said:

We are arriving in Yokohama on March 31, 2019 on the Westerdam (Holland America).  We have booked a hotel in Tokyo. 

Holland is only offering transportation to the airports and to their select hotels in Tokyo. Any ideas on transportation to Tokyo from the port?

We really do not want to take a train with our luggage. Thanks

Take the train and deposit your luggage with a luggage service at the port.  We did that when we disembarked in Kobe several years ago and sent our luggage to the Tokyo hotel.  I can't remember the name of the luggage service, although I believe there are several.  Google Japan luggage service.

In 2017 we joined a group of 9 that was put together in our Roll Call that arranged a small van transfer from several Tokyo hotels to the Yokohama cruise port.  We arranged for several sightseeing stops too along the way in Kamakura.  The agency was www.tokyosakuratour.com and our driver/guide was Yoko Fukuda - she speaks very good english.  The cost was about 68,000 yen.  Everything went very well - except for the rain.

• Thanks 1

This 31st March Westerdam cruise is NOT using the Yokohama Cruise Terminal at OSANBASHI Pier.

It is using the next pier complex of 10 berths to the SE at YAMASHITA Pier.

This is going to upset even the organised Japanese tour & transport operators.

HAL have advised us of this change so those onboard & disenbarking should also know.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:14 PM, flgypsy said:

MAX917 - Just noticed your post re: Yokohama transfer to Tokyo. Have you found a good alternative to using the train? We are on the same cruise and like you, I would rather use a shuttle as opposed to the train (with baggage, etc.).

I have looked for several weeks at various alternatives and none seem good. Popular tour companies like Voyagin and Veltra specifically state on their web that they provide service only for Diamond Princes Cruises. I did get an email from Veltra who indicated that on March 31 ONLY private transportation is available at a cost of $371.68 !!(that's US).

So, if you have a suggestion, would appreciate it; you can send it directly to my email: kitsmith@hotmail.com.

Thanks.

Flgypsy

That price is insane, even for Japan.  You could simply take a regular taxi for no more than $200 (US).

Hank

We had the same problem last Fall when we docked in Tokyo, on our cruise from Vancouver.  We were finally able to book a transfer to our Tokyo hotel, using Viator.  However, since then we have learned that “booking” a taxi ahead of time works out much more expensive than simply picking a cab just outside the terminal... On the morning of a ship’s arrival, there are plenty of taxis available just outside the terminal, at a very reasonable rate... it will take approx. 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get to Tokyo. This is definitely what we will do on our next visit...

Thanks to everyone for ideas and suggestions. Have not been able to find a tour or transportation company that will pick up at Yokohama port and drop off in central Tokyo. May just use MNCYCLIST's suggestion and use the train. What I find interesting is that I talked to several people at HAL office asking them if they drop us off at Yamashita pier, will they provide a shuttle to get to Osanbashi - which is the main terminal with customs, etc. HAL had no clue as to what the process is at Yamashita pier - they just kept insisting that they can provide transportation to NARITA - which was not my question.

BruceMuzz commented about transportation at Osanbahi - Bruce can you provide names of some of the companies?

Last note; there is a roll call spreadsheet with about 40 names on it. Not sure I recognize any of the above names. If we meet at the Great and Meet could come up with some options for the transportation issue.

I think this link should work for the roll call. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EPQQTLoH1O791tk-Jh1M8UZsqINOTJILVHADv80hhCo/edit#gid=0

On 3/1/2019 at 12:22 PM, FrankieSue said:

We had the same problem last Fall when we docked in Tokyo, on our cruise from Vancouver.  We were finally able to book a transfer to our Tokyo hotel, using Viator.  However, since then we have learned that “booking” a taxi ahead of time works out much more expensive than simply picking a cab just outside the terminal... On the morning of a ship’s arrival, there are plenty of taxis available just outside the terminal, at a very reasonable rate... it will take approx. 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get to Tokyo. This is definitely what we will do on our next visit...

What was the cost, pls?

As I said, we booked with Viator who charged us $335.00/CAN for the ride to our hotel in the center of Tokyo....  (Akasaka district)

but if we had just picked up a cab outside the terminal, it would have cost us less than $200.  we were told that booking a cab ahead is much more money, because they have to arrive when the ship docks and sometimes have to wait one Hour or more for the  client who booked.... 

honestly, much easier to walk off the ship and pick one of the available cabs. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 10:22 AM, FrankieSue said:

Are any of them large enough for four to six people?

Edited by bennybear