Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

LIVE - WORLD CRUISE 2019 & MORE - A NEW ADVENTURE UNFOLDS - 12/15/18 - 5/21/19

Keith,

I just want to add my thanks to the many others.  I have enjoyed following your journey these last few months.  (I've been traveling a bit myself this month so only just caught up.)  Your positive spirit and willingness to see the bright side of things are you travel is a pleasure to read and an inspiration.  I'll probably never get to do a world cruise, so I appreciate the chance to live it vicariously; and, I have taken notes -- just in case -- on the logistics. 😉

Best to you and Anne Marie.

mchell810...

Thank you for your kind words.

I am glad that you enjoyed the Blog.  Hopefully, we will do another Blog starting later this year.

Keith

Keith,

I followed your blog everyday and want to thank you for sharing your grand adventure. Based on your reviews my husband and I have booked our first Crystal cruise, albeit it isn't until 2021. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blogs.

ghgeckos, thank you for your post.  

I am so glad to hear that you and your husband have booked your first Crystal Cruise.  I hope your first experience on Crystal is similar to ours.  

If I can ever help with questions please let me know.  

Keith

During the course of our adventure I was asked if I could put together items related to World Cruise.

I've already posted about food on this thread and have also posted it on the World Cruise Board.

I have finished a writeup on planning when it comes to the clothing and other related items we bring on a long trip which follows.

Keep in mind this is our approach.  Many people who take long trips have their own approach but this one has served us well.  We have made some adjustments over the years.  For example, trying to take a little less clothing although I think we take more than average.  Another change was for Anne Marie where she has cut back on the number of long gowns she takes and take a couple of them with other types of dressy items that work for Black Tie Optional evenings.

Planning for evening attire is easier these days two types of attire:  Crystal Casual and Black Tie Optional.  On our first several World Cruises we had to plan for what was called Formal, Semi-Formal and Casual.

Here goes.

Keith

LUGGAGE & PACKING

Preparing for a World Cruise takes good planning to determine what clothing to bring with you.  The challenge is to not take too much clothing  but to take a sufficient  amount for on-board  and off  the  ship along with diversity so that  you  don’t become bored with your  selection.

Before we decide what to bring, we do the following:

Consider the number of days of the cruise along with pre-cruise and post cruise stays and  any overlands.

Verify the number of Black Tie Optional evenings versus casual.

For daytime clothing on the ship we consider where we are sailing and any other  needs such as clothing for  the fitness center, paddle tennis, the pool and any other activities one will take part in outside  and  inside the ship.

We look up historical highs and lows for each port of call for the month we are visiting the specific port.   We use this as a guide knowing that averages don’t reflect the precise temperature one might encounter on the day(s) they are there.  It gives us an idea whether we need warm weather clothing or clothing for both warm weather and cold/cooler weather.

We try to minimize some items.  In my case it is the color of pants I might bring.  In Anne Marie’s case  not taking a pair of shoes just  for one outfit.  

For some items we bring  multiple items such as sports shoes where we each take two pairs just in case something happens with the first pair. 

We consider layering clothing in places that could range from moderate to cooler temperature.  

We consider anything special such as if one is doing an overland safari and needs special clothing for this.  Another example is on some world cruises we take low cut hiking shoes and on other ones we do not.   It depends what tours we have planned and/or what the place is like we are visiting.

We go back to that listing showing the number of BTO nights and based on that my wife decides how many outfits to bring knowing that outfits will be repeated.  In my case I use it to determine how many ties to bring for the Tuxedo and possibly a Suit and also to determine whether or not I want to bring a formal dinner jacket as well.

As much planning as one does if this is your first time you will likely make a few mistakes.  At the same time unusual changes in weather patterns may end up resulting in taking more than you needed of one kind of clothing and less than you needed of another kind of clothing.

For cosmetics and toiletries over a several month period we figure out our consumption of each item so we bring the right quantity with us.  We think about all of our needs and try to minimize the need to have to purchase some item in port If we error it is usually taking more versus less.  The vast majority of items we purchase ahead of time.  We do this because often one can’t find the product they desire outside their own country and/or we don’t want to waste valuable time looking for items. There are some items we wait until our pre-cruise stay to buy because either they are bulky or not to be taken on a flight or we worry about leakage.  If we are stopping at other USA ports there are times we pick up some at the pre-cruise port knowing we can pick up others at one or more USA ports we are stopping at.  

We add to our list other items we might want to bring such as a heating pad, extra glasses/sunglasses and a range of items.

We consider what devices to bring from computers, to iPads and whether or not we should bring backup cords such as an extra cord to charge a computer, smart phone, etc. in case one goes bad.  We consider camera(s), batteries, and other related items.  No matter what accommodation we are in we usually end up having some or most of the wooden hangers removed from the closet as they take up a lot of space.  Although they will provide them we bring our own wire hangers.  We also bring plastic hangers for hanging wet items such as my under armour shirts after they are washed.  We bring a plastic device that allows us to hang smaller wet items.  We bring a collapsible laundry bag.  We bring magnets which work on some of the walls in the room to hang certain item such as the schedule for each cruise.  We bring photo holder that are magnetic to hang some of them.  We bring a lot of over the counter items including medicines anticipating potentially what types of issues we might have over the course of many months being away from home.

The key to this is to keep lists along the way months before the trip begins and add items to the list as you think of them.

We pack early.  We have good experience so we have a good sense of how many bags we will have to determine how many we bring with us and how many we will ship to the vessel. When packing begins we number each suitcase and have a detailed inventory of what goes in each suitcase.  We find this helpful should a piece become lost but also so should we need to get into a suitcase looking for something as soon as we arrive which suitcase it is in.  We verify ahead of time what items can be shipped and what are prohibited as part of our planning.  

Anne Marie keeps a list of what we wear each evening.  It serves several purposes and one of them is to help for the next long cruise.

Hopefully, those of you planning to take your first long trip will find this helpful.  I am sure I have forgotten to address some items and like most things we each have our own approach.  

Keith

Thank you Keith, very helpful! My first Crystal cruise will be a seventeen nighter, Sydney to Singapore next February. So I am expecting the weather to be hot, do you take clothing in case of the risk of unseasonable weather? I am thinking I probably don't need to take warm clothing during the antipodean summer, but should one be prepared for every eventuality?

Another good app that you can get is Weather Underground which will give you the average temperatures and rainfall around the world.  Remember I said average not in perpetuity.  This app has been helpful to us when packing.  

1 hour ago, Flak999 said:

Thank you Keith, very helpful! My first Crystal cruise will be a seventeen nighter, Sydney to Singapore next February. So I am expecting the weather to be hot, do you take clothing in case of the risk of unseasonable weather? I am thinking I probably don't need to take warm clothing during the antipodean summer, but should one be prepared for every eventuality?

Flak999, you are very welcome.

I am very familiar with this one.  It is the March 3 sailing on Serenity from Sydney to Singapore.

You are correct.  It will largely be warm to hot.

I would bring mostly clothing for warm weather.

What I would do is a few days before the cruise go to a weather internet site such as www.weather.com and just check what the the forecast will be like for the first few days of your trip in Sydney and in the first couple of ports in Australia to see if you might need a light jacket for the early morning hours. 

I do not use any apps from home.  No need to when I can just use my computer.

This is a terrific itinerary.

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Flak999, you are very welcome.

I am very familiar with this one.  It is the March 3 sailing on Serenity from Sydney to Singapore.

You are correct.  It will largely be warm to hot.

I would bring mostly clothing for warm weather.

What I would do is a few days before the cruise go to a weather internet site such as www.weather.com and just check what the the forecast will be like for the first few days of your trip in Sydney and in the first couple of ports in Australia to see if you might need a light jacket for the early morning hours. 

I do not use any apps from home.  No need to when I can just use my computer.

This is a terrific itinerary.

Keith

That's very helpful Keith, thank you. Good to know you are familiar with this cruise. May I ask  if you have any  recommendations with regard to shore excursions which you found particularly memorable? I have never visited Australia before, so all will be new to me. I am flying Singapore airlines club class to Sydney and will be in the city for three days prior to joining Serenity. My TA has booked me into the Shangri-la with a room overlooking the harbour bridge and opera house and I have already pre-booked the bridge climb experience, are there any other particular must see sights in Sydney that you would recommend?

I have filled in all of my pre cruise information on Crystals PCPC website and have also booked my dining choices in the speciality restaurants on board Serenity, I have looked through all of the shore excursions listed on PCPC and pre booked the ones that seem most appealing, however there is no substitute for the recommendations of a seasoned traveller like yourself, so I would be most grateful if you have any thoughts on what you consider to be a 'must see'  location or excursion.

At the end of the cruise I have two extra days booked in Singapore staying at the Raffles hotel in a courtyard garden suite, this iconic venue was again a recommendation from my TA, and the prospect of sipping a Singapore sling at the long bar in Raffles is most appealing! Again I would ask if there are any not to be missed sights in Singapore that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Hi Flak999. Based on Keith1010's recommendation, I just spent 6 nights in April at the Shangri-La in Sydney in a bridge/opera house view room also.  It's a great location (the views!!!) and the service in the hotel and the Horizon Club was top notch.  Enjoy your trip to Australia.....I'll be going back for sure!

~Nancy

Hi Nancy, and thanks for the reply! I am very excited at the prospect of this adventure. I am travelling solo which will be a new experience for me, and I am gratified that you had a good time in Sydney and can recommend the Shangri-La. 

May I ask, were there any must see things that you did that you would recommend to an ‘Aussie’ first timer like me? 😃

Edited by Flak999
Grammatical correction

31 minutes ago, Flak999 said:

Hi Nancy, and thanks for the reply! I am very excited at the prospect of this adventure. I am travelling solo which will be a new experience for me, and I am gratified that you had a good time in Sydney and can recommend the Shangri-La. 

May I ask, were there any must see things that you did that you would recommend to an ‘Aussie’ first timer like me? 😃

Not Nancy, but Sydney is probably our favourite city in the world. Been there several times and will be there again in 2020 and 2022 (on the World Cruise), and will probably find our way there in 2021 too!

The Shang is a great hotel and the view from the rooms can't be beat. Sydney is a very walkable city and from the Shang it is a short walk to Circular Quay, The Rocks historical area, the Opera House and the Botanical Garden. If you like to walk, those alone will occupy much of a day!! A walk through The Rocks, under the Bridge and around to Barangaroo is also recommended. In the downtown CDB, along George Street, the Queen Victoria Building  (QVB) is a must see. And if you are feeling adventurous, and are up for a LONG walk, take the bus out to Coogee and walk the Ocean Trail from there to Bondi Beach, but be sure to take a water bottle, sunscreen and a hat!

The ferry system is part of the transit system of Sydney and will take you almost anywhere. I would suggest buying an Opal card for the transit system. They are good forever, so when you go back, and you WILL go back, it will still be valid. Take the ferry from Circular Quay around to Darling Harbour, have dinner in one of the myriad restaurants over there, then take the ferry back, preferably after dark. The Bridge looks amazing from the ferry at night. Lots to do in Darling Harbour, such as the Aquarium and the Marine Museum. The ferry system will also take you Manley, a great beach town, and if you like seafood, to Watson's Bay where lunch or dinner at Doyle's Seafood is worth the trip. We prefer lunch as the ferry's last run back from Watson's Bay is at something like 8:30 and it is a LONG cab ride! And if you prefer steak, a cab ride to Kingsley's at Woollamoollo Wharf is a good bet.

Can you tell we like Sydney??😉

Larry

I hope that Stickman will comment on this as he lives there. I always check with locals. I’m sure you will get an answer.

Hi Larry, thank you so much for your very detailed and informative answer! Yours is just the sort of information I am looking for. One can read all of the guide books in the world, but there is I believe no substitute for first hand experience!

I am very keen on walking, and as you say that Sydney is a very walkable city then I will be more than happy to explore on foot where possible. I had heard about the ferry system and shall definitely use this mode of transport to compliment my sightseeing. 

In your opinion, (and I do understand this is very subjective) would you say it is better to arrange ones own excursions or book Crystals shore excursions, or a mixture of both? 

Thanks again for your helpful assistance. 👍

Andy. 

3 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

I hope that Stickman will comment on this as he lives there. I always check with locals. I’m sure you will get an answer.

Thanks, I thoroughly agree! There is no substitute for first hand experience. 👍

Andy. 

7 hours ago, Flak999 said:

That's very helpful Keith, thank you. Good to know you are familiar with this cruise. May I ask  if you have any  recommendations with regard to shore excursions which you found particularly memorable? I have never visited Australia before, so all will be new to me. I am flying Singapore airlines club class to Sydney and will be in the city for three days prior to joining Serenity. My TA has booked me into the Shangri-la with a room overlooking the harbour bridge and opera house and I have already pre-booked the bridge climb experience, are there any other particular must see sights in Sydney that you would recommend?

I have filled in all of my pre cruise information on Crystals PCPC website and have also booked my dining choices in the speciality restaurants on board Serenity, I have looked through all of the shore excursions listed on PCPC and pre booked the ones that seem most appealing, however there is no substitute for the recommendations of a seasoned traveller like yourself, so I would be most grateful if you have any thoughts on what you consider to be a 'must see'  location or excursion.

At the end of the cruise I have two extra days booked in Singapore staying at the Raffles hotel in a courtyard garden suite, this iconic venue was again a recommendation from my TA, and the prospect of sipping a Singapore sling at the long bar in Raffles is most appealing! Again I would ask if there are any not to be missed sights in Singapore that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Hi Flak999,

I have stayed at the Shangri-La Hotel two times for extended stays for over two weeks with another extended stay planned for next year so I do enjoy this hotel a great deal.  There are certainly many hotels to choose from but for us the hotel works well (we do take a room that gives us club floor access) and we like the location.  Since you like to walk as we do there is a lot to walk to from this location.

We have family in Sydney and love the city.  Well we love Australia and New Zealand.

There is lots to do and see in Sydney and in the surrounding areas and more than you possibly can see in three days.  If you can take a ferry I highly recommend it.  There are lots of choices.  One is to get out to Manly Island.  While you will get lots of input from those who visit and who live here I would get a guide book and make use of travel sites on the internet to read all of the possibilities.  I say this because we don't know all of your interests.  Do this for the ferry as well as there are many possibilities.  If time permits view the Harbor at night from a ferry or take a dinner cruise or one where you can have cocktails. 

It might be good to start a new thread about Sydney and also do make use of the Australia Ports of Call board.  There are lots of locals who post to that board as well as travelers.

As to Singapore, it is another place that we enjoy a great deal and have been there many times.  There are lots of hotels but there is a lot of tradition to Raffles so I think that is a nice choice because of its history.  Years ago we had a Singapore Sling there as well.  Depending on where we go we do a lot of walking in Singapore and if need be due to distance and/or the heat we might augment walking with the subway.  If we need to get somewhere further away then we would take a taxi but most of our time is on foot and subway.

Lots to do and see.  I would recommend getting to Chinatown and to Little India.  If you have any interest in Zoos they have an outstanding zoo.  They do offer a night time safari and we have done both and with limited time and if there is an interest I would do the zoo but that one would require a taxi. 

As to excursions during the cruise we do a combination of three things; ship excursions (we do less now but that is due to a health issue my wife has), private excursions  mostly on our own but sometimes through Crystal (I use trip advisor to find guides and the cruise critic ports of call board) and we also will visit some where on our own.  So for me I look at all of these options as tools in a tool box and based on the port and what we want to see figure out which one might be best for us in that port.

Again you might want to start a separate thread on this including on that thread mentioning the ports on your itinerary and asking input for those ports you want to get opinions on .  Also your roll call is another place to see what others are doing. 

Keith

6 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Can you tell we like Sydney??😉

Larry

I don't think there are many (if any) of us who don't....😃

Anne...

12 hours ago, Flak999 said:

Hi Larry, thank you so much for your very detailed and informative answer! Yours is just the sort of information I am looking for. One can read all of the guide books in the world, but there is I believe no substitute for first hand experience!

I am very keen on walking, and as you say that Sydney is a very walkable city then I will be more than happy to explore on foot where possible. I had heard about the ferry system and shall definitely use this mode of transport to compliment my sightseeing. 

In your opinion, (and I do understand this is very subjective) would you say it is better to arrange ones own excursions or book Crystals shore excursions, or a mixture of both? 

Thanks again for your helpful assistance. 👍

Andy. 

Hi Andy.

We tend to use mostly Crystal's excursions, although we have done private tours on occasion when we didn't find anything we liked from Crystal. We prefer as few "moving parts" as possible when we travel, and Crystal's excursions work well for us. Others on this board swear by private tours, so each to their own, as the old saying goes.:classic_smile:

One other thing I meant to mention in Sydney is the Hop-On/Hop-Off bus network. It covers a lot of the city and there is a pick up point near Circular Quay.

Larry

Taronga Park Zoo is another great thing to do and lovely to take the ferry there from Circular Quay. 

I just realized one of the reasons that Keith loves Crystal so much. Often there is Beatles music playing in the background.