Fincantieri builds the "Ultimate" cruise ship - step by step

OlsSalt

PBS NOVA step by step video of building a cruise ship - lots of the marine engineering explained including understanding cavitation and vibration - the goal is to reach ultimate luxury "comfort class" very low vibration for this ship - Reagent 7 Seas Explorer, but the basics of the entire ship building process will apply to even HAL ships.  Fascinating: https://www.pbssocal.org/programs/nova/nova-ultimate-cruise-ship/

Techniques for cutting weight and balancing weight were particularly interesting which may also be why bath tubs are getting replaced with showers. And on this ship they had to replace glass balcony railings with metal grate, full marble with marble veneers and still manage to keep the luxury of their $10,000 a night top-end suites  on the very tippy top of the ship - and tippy top takes on an entirely new meaning in this context..

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

PBS NOVA step by step video of building a cruise ship - lots of the marine engineering explained including understanding cavitation and vibration - the goal is to reach ultimate luxury "comfort class" very low vibration for this ship - Reagent 7 Seas Explorer, but the basics of the entire ship building process will apply to even HAL ships.  Fascinating: https://www.pbssocal.org/programs/nova/nova-ultimate-cruise-ship/

Techniques for cutting weight and balancing weight were particularly interesting which may also be why bath tubs are getting replaced with showers. And on this ship they had to replace glass balcony railings with metal grate, full marble with marble veneers and still manage to keep the luxury of their $10,000 a night top-end suites  on the very tippy top of the ship - and tippy top takes on an entirely new meaning in this context..

Saw it last night - so interesting.....

I also watched this program last night, very interesting. I went on the Fincantieri web site, which listed ships that they already build and what is coming up. The next new  HAL ship due in 2021 is the Nieuw Ryanndam.

21 hours ago, ski ww said:

The next new  HAL ship due in 2021 is the Nieuw Ryanndam.

Are you certain that the next Pinnacle Class ship will be named Nieuw Ryndam?  I have seen no official HAL statement that this will be the new ship's name.

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

This is from the Fincantieri Wikipedia web site. That's all I'm going by.

I hope you are correct with this information.  I would prefer that HAL would drop the "Nieuw" as part of the name for the new Pinnacle Class of ships other than Koningsdam.  Nothing was wrong with "Statendam or Ryndam" in the past.  And, nothing is wrong with it today.  Linkage to heritage is something that the good people in the Executive Offices of Holland America Line ought to appreciate.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I hope you are correct with this information.  I would prefer that HAL would drop the "Nieuw" as part of the name for the new Pinnacle Class of ships other than Koningsdam.  Nothing was wrong with "Statendam or Ryndam" in the past.  And, nothing is wrong with it today.  Linkage to heritage is something that the good people in the Executive Offices of Holland America Line ought to appreciate.

Hard to sell ships that few know how to pronounce and therefore ask for.  It is obvious once you learn Nieuw sounds the same almost as ...new. But it is an immediate visual tongue twister to those not familiar with the language. 

Agree, drop the "Nieuw". But for other reasons. How few even remembers the Ryndam or the Statendam  as forrmer HAL state of the art ships anyway. Why do i keep getting reminded of Nieuw Coke.

Edited by OlsSalt

This country is forgetting its history.  Too many of the most recent generations are ignorant of our history and their understanding of civics.  Those are two of my reasons why the United States has such a dysfunctional Federal government.

HAL's decision, if true, to add the name "Nieuw" to the proposed Ryndam continues this path of trashing history.  

• Like 1

It doesn't seem very original to just add " Nieuw" to a name. Maybe Seattle doesn't have the imagination to come up with new names.Pick the name of one of the Dutch Royal family, i.e. the King or Queen.   

5 hours ago, ski ww said:

It doesn't seem very original to just add " Nieuw" to a name. Maybe Seattle doesn't have the imagination to come up with new names.Pick the name of one of the Dutch Royal family, i.e. the King or Queen.   

Dutch rivers and towns works for me - makes it a fun visit to Netherlands looking for these namesakes too.

On 12/13/2018 at 9:37 PM, OlsSalt said:

I watched it a while back when it came on.  To me, it just means that they are starting to sacrifice good marine design and stability to get an extra deck on the ship.  If they are so close to the margin that changing a few tons of marble makes an appreciable effect on stability, then they are working way too close to the margin.

On 12/13/2018 at 7:46 PM, ski ww said:

The next new  HAL ship due in 2021 is the Nieuw Ryanndam.

I would not like to see three Nieuw ships concurrently. Two is too many IMO. Just plain Ryndam is fine with me. Nieuw Amsterdam makes sense to me both because the Amsterdam is still sailing and it is the old name for NY City. Nieuw anything else does not.

Edited by catl331

45 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I watched it a while back when it came on.  To me, it just means that they are starting to sacrifice good marine design and stability to get an extra deck on the ship.  If they are so close to the margin that changing a few tons of marble makes an appreciable effect on stability, then they are working way too close to the margin.

Just got a Regent brochure in the mail - they pick relatively benign itineraries and appear do them over and over and over again - they were only offering Inside Passage Alaska and St Lawrence SeaWay to NYC in this marketing mailing - starting around $6000 for 10 day cruises -going up to $20,000.

Though we have run into rough waters outside of PEI and unable to get to Halifax on HAL ships due to the  wind so no route is obviously guaranteed to be benign. But I see no large open water itinerary options in this Regent brochure. They stay pretty close to shore.

Thanks as always for your insights. 

Edited by OlsSalt

We watched this program last night and found it very interesting. As far as ever being able to afford a cruise on the ship shown, I don't think that's ever going to happen but it looks like a great ship. I'd be curious about how their whole propeller design ended up contributing to zero vibration.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:37 PM, OlsSalt said:

OlsSalt,

we watched the PBS last night and found it really interesting.

Denise😊

• 2 weeks later...