LIVE Comparison: NCL Star 12-21-18 VS Royal Princess 4-06-19

HBCcruiser

I thought it might be interesting to do a LIVE comparison between 2 cruise lines sailing a similar itinerary and in similar cabins. I have not sailed on either ship before but have sailed on both cruise lines and like them both. My first cruise is on the NCL Star leaving December 21, 2018 - so in a week - sailing the Mexican Riviera out of San Pedro, California.

632171328_ScreenShot2018-12-13at1_17_05PM.png.847e50e016fb1c59b77f576080c3ba3d.png

Edited by HBCcruiser
attached stuff

Why sail the same itinerary you ask?  

Well first, I love to cruise! I usually cruise with my mom and will be for the Royal Princess cruise. I am trying to make as many memories as I can with family. Life is way too short! The first cruise on the Star, though, will be with my DH and 2 DDs. Yup, I think they caught the cruise bug from me! LOL! Mom will be staying home for cruise #1 (her choice) to visit with other family members.  

Second, we live close to this port, so it is an easy on and off for us. We have done this itinerary before on Disney and RCL and enjoy it. Seriously, just being on a cruise going anywhere is good with me! I work hard so I like to play hard and enjoy all aspects of cruising. I am not really "married" to any particular cruise line. I have sailed NCL, Disney, RCL, Princess and HAL. There are things about each line that I like, and some that I do not like. I tend to prefer mid-size ships because I want to have plenty of things to do - bars/restaurants/clubs onboard to enjoy, yet don't want a ton of crowds.

During these two LIVE reviews I plan on comparing everything I can - cabins, food, drinks, staff, ship layout and decor, excursions, internet quality...whatever you want! Both ships, IMHO, are rather similar. The Star holds 2,348 passengers, while the Royal holds 3,560. Both ships were, or will be, refurbished in 2018. The cost for each cruise is pretty similar, however, NCL allows bidding for upgrades to better suites. On the Star we are in the SJ category, which is a family suite with no balcony. It is the lowest category of suites. If we are able to upgrade to a suite with a balcony we will. All other suites were sold out when we purchased our cabin, in fact, the cruise has been sold out for weeks, so the chance of an upgrade is pretty slim.

On the Royal Princess we are in the S4 penthouse suite category. This suite has a balcony. We do not want a different suite (my mom does not like aft cabins due to soot issues and prefers to be more mid-ship) so we will not go for an upgrade even if offered.

The onboard "extras" appear to be cheaper on the Royal Princess. For example, it costs $114.00 to pre-purchase a bottle of Veuve Clicquot on the NCL Star, but only $102.35 on the Royal Princess. The best beverage package (UBP) on the Star costs $831.00 per person ($99.00 per day plus fees), yet on the Royal it is $482.93 or $68.99 per day. Please note that the UPB was included when we purchased the cruise on NCL, as was the 3-day specialty dining. We had to purchase the beverage package on the Royal and the specialty dining (except for one night which is included in the suite package.) The specialty dining on the Star for three nights costs $94.80 per person. The Royal charges $29.00 per person per night or $87.00 per person for three nights.

The last thing I will share is the cost of the premium internet. On the Star the cost is $206.50 per week while on the Royal it is $199.00. Each cruise line offers freebees with the suite purchase, so I will be comparing those, once onboard, as well. If you want me to check anything out while onboard either ship, let me know and I will do my best. Sometimes the internet is spotty onboard, and CC has been having some growing pains, but I will try!

• Like 1

Having sailed several lines, including these two and to the MR, I think that you'll enjoy them equally except for the temperatures that will increase dramatically by April but it sounds like you already know about that! I swore to never go the Mexico etc. again after January and before November, lol. We moved back to the Northwest and it's much more of a shock to hit the humidity/heat than coming from Texas. Enjoy doing your comparison cruises and especially the magnificent sunsets down there!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, peacefulOR said:

Having sailed several lines, including these two and to the MR, I think that you'll enjoy them equally except for the temperatures that will increase dramatically by April but it sounds like you already know about that! I swore to never go the Mexico etc. again after January and before November, lol. We moved back to the Northwest and it's much more of a shock to hit the humidity/heat than coming from Texas. Enjoy doing your comparison cruises and especially the magnificent sunsets down there!

Yes, the last time we sailed to Mexico it was in April. I do not mind the heat so much. I’ve never sailed that itinerary in December. Have you? I remember it being cool out the first sea day or so. Excited either way! 

We've sailed in January and may do so again in 2020 and I've stayed in the Puerta Vallarta area in Feb. and late March. December is supposed to be even nicer than January if you like less humidity and slightly lower temps.

Pretty sure that you can leave your long pants at home . I'd take that trip either time myself.

7 hours ago, peacefulOR said:

We've sailed in January and may do so again in 2020 and I've stayed in the Puerta Vallarta area in Feb. and late March. December is supposed to be even nicer than January if you like less humidity and slightly lower temps.

Pretty sure that you can leave your long pants at home . I'd take that trip either time myself.

Good to know, thanks!

We've been on both these cruises and will be on the Star with you next week.  We booked it because I wanted to try a Christmas cruise and I'm wondering how the experience will be different with so many children on board.  We've never gone on a school break cruise before and I would imagine that the timing will make the cruise different regardless of the line.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fabby50 said:

We've been on both these cruises and will be on the Star with you next week.  We booked it because I wanted to try a Christmas cruise and I'm wondering how the experience will be different with so many children on board.  We've never gone on a school break cruise before and I would imagine that the timing will make the cruise different regardless of the line.

Awesome! If you are interested in joining our rollcall and signing up for some fun events, here is the link. See you onboard!

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

One day to go!! 

9B3C6803-6497-4603-B998-CB9B0AC6B023.jpeg

I am super excited to follow your adventure. This posting is invaluable to me as a first-time cruiser who will be doing the Panama Canal cruise in just 13 days. Will you be doing any excursions since you have done this particular itinerary before?

Edited by FAGATRON

I sailed on the Star in March in a family suite on this same itinerary; this was prior to the refurb. It was my first cruise, so I can't compare it to anything, but my family (me, husband, two teens) really enjoyed it - enough so that we are on another NCL cruise in the next few months.

The family suite was fabulous! I wondered if I would enjoy it since it didn't have a balcony, but the massive floor-to-ceiling windows provided amazing views. Even without being able to go outside, we all hung out quite a bit in the room since there was plenty of room in which to comfortably lounge, great vistas, and we were a two-minute walk to the pool if we wanted fresh air. The four of us get along well and have shared cramped quarters while traveling before, but we appreciated being able to section off the room into separate areas at the end of the day.

The best part of the suite? Either Putu, our butler, or the filet for breakfast at Moderno! Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FAGATRON said:

I am super excited to follow your adventure. This posting is invaluable to me as a first-time cruiser who will be doing the Panama Canal cruise in just 13 days. Will you be doing any excursions since you have done this particular itinerary before?

Yes we are. The horseback, kayak and snorkel in PV and Resort got day in Cabo. 

5BF54C97-3A2C-4B33-B233-9A7C9C0A6610.jpeg

8D0CE63E-D7F6-452B-8CB5-BBBAFE6D188F.jpeg

It’s really odd how they hand out your suite key cards. You wait until right before boarding then they give them out. You take the photo when checking in but don’t get the cards until prior to boarding. New or just an LA thing?

E4CAB30F-9790-4BF8-A29E-F714D1253BF8.jpeg