Why so expensive?

MomC

I am curious, why are these cruises outrageously expensive? I could go on a 12 day Seabourn or Silver Sea cruise for what we are paying for our 7 day ACL cruise.  Before you say, well why don’t you do that, we regularly sail those two ocean cruise lines.  But we wanted to sail the Lewis & Clark Cruise.   I am sure ACL can’t  be deemed a luxury cruise line.  For those of you who have sailed ACL several times, I would appreciate your input. I will go on the cruise, pay the money and enjoy myself, but the costs irks me.

Thank you for your help with this question.

Mom C

Having ships built, registered, and crewed in the US by US citizens is not cheap.  They also have to adhere to US labor laws and hire US citizens.  It's much more expensive than FOC (flag of convenience) ships.  

Also as mentioned the ships are small.  The break even point is likely significantly higher than larger ships where there is much more economy of scale.   

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 10:22 PM, eroller said:

Having ships built, registered, and crewed in the US by US citizens is not cheap.  They also have to adhere to US labor laws and hire US citizens.  It's much more expensive than FOC (flag of convenience) .

This is the reason. 

My dollars spent are supporting a U.S. business, employees and local economies along the itineraries. 

I’ve been on 6 ACL cruises and have #7 booked for 2019. They are an unique way to explore parts of the U.S. from its waterways that one doesn’t experience from a land trip. 

MomC, I’ve been on the itinerary you are considering and it was excellent (itinerary, excursions, dining and enrichment).

Edited by SteelMagnolia9

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2018 at 8:22 PM, eroller said:

Having ships built, registered, and crewed in the US by US citizens is not cheap.  They also have to adhere to US labor laws and hire US citizens.  It's much more expensive than FOC (flag of convenience) ships.  

I had not considered this but you are absolutely correct. I, too, was bemoaning the cost of our Mississippi cruise vs our European cruises. Well, better late than never. Duh! :classic_blush:

23 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I had not considered this but you are absolutely correct. I, too, was bemoaning the cost of our Mississippi cruise vs our European cruises. Well, better late than never. Duh! :classic_blush:

As other's have mentioned.  Only you can decide if the price is "reasonable", hopefully, after giving the experience a trial run to see if it meets your needs/expectations.  For some it is a fair (good?) expenditure of vacation funds -- others may have different expectations that are not fulfilled.  

I hope you give it a "try" and your highest expectations are rewarded.

NRayH