Ovation of the Seas Embarkation-Seattle

Leejanste

We are going on the Alaskan cruise out of Seattle on 6th September ( I know a lifetime away 😊)

I was just wondering if anybody had any insight into embarkation day. 

As being new to all of this I was Wondering should I expect an organised set up or just bedlam 

appreciated Ste

It will be organized. They will be boarding 5000 plus. They now have what, 6 of these huge ships? They have become very good at it, and definitely have a system down.

For all the RCI info you will ever need, check out the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to RCI, located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

1 hour ago, Leejanste said:

We are going on the Alaskan cruise out of Seattle on 6th September ( I know a lifetime away 😊)

As being new to all of this I was Wondering should I expect an organised set up or just bedlam 

appreciated Ste

Unfortunately, Ovation has never been to Seattle nor done an Alaskan itinerary, so we have no reports to relate.

On 12/14/2018 at 7:40 AM, CruiserBruce said:

It will be organized. They will be boarding 5000 plus. They now have what, 6 of these huge ships? They have become very good at it, and definitely have a system down.

For all the RCI info you will ever need, check out the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to RCI, located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

I think maybe you may be thinking of Oasis class ships? - of which there are currently 4 in service which actually hold over 6,600 passengers each.  Ovation, which is one of 4 Quantum class ships in service, holds 4,180 passengers.  Nonetheless, still a lot of passengers for which the embarkation (and disembarkation) process is well organized as you indicate.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On 12/14/2018 at 3:51 AM, Leejanste said:

appreciated Ste

Last year on explorer of the seas I was 20 minutes from when I got out of the shuttle until I was in my stateroom with no boarding perks. Very well organized and all the lines were moving quickly.

You may want to follow this post as they are working on the roads near the piers

1 hour ago, AlanF65 said:

Last year on explorer of the seas I was 20 minutes from when I got out of the shuttle until I was in my stateroom with no boarding perks. Very well organized and all the lines were moving quickly.

You may want to follow this post as they are working on the roads near the piers

Appreciate all the replies

I had to ask the question as my wife will support me I hate having to queue if it doesn’t appear to move

thanks again

On 12/14/2018 at 5:51 AM, Leejanste said:

appreciated Ste

I will be on this cruise as well.  Look forward to it. 

Been on many cruises and embarkation is always pretty easy.  I don't foresee any troubles with this one. 

• 1 month later...

You will be leaving from Pier 91 in Seattle.  The building will open up sometime after 10 am (and most likely between 10:15 and 10:30 AM).  When you arrive at the terminal (outside driveway) you will be dropping off your large luggage with the porters (you may take your 'carry-on bags with you).  Celebrity Solstice will also be boarding, so the porters will make sure that your luggage will go to the correct ship.  Luggage drop-off will be well signed.  You should have your printed out luggage tags attached to your bags.  It you do not have your printed tags (with your cabin number), you will be directed to a table where a longshoreman will have a copy of the manifest and will write you out luggage tags.  The longshoremen porters will also have staplers to attached your luggage tags if needed.  The longshoremen porters will also be asking you to make sure that you have your passport (or other approved travel ID) with you before they take your bags.

Next, as you approach the building, staff will be directing you to the correct door according to which ship you will board.  Both ships will be on either side of the building. so just head towards the side of the building that you see your ship.  You will be asked to show your passport to enter the building (or other approved travel docs).  You will get into a line were your travel documents (passports, etc) and your ship's boarding pass will be carefully looked at.  After passing that check point, you will head up an escalator (or elevator) where you will go through a security screening (similar to what you have at the airport, but more relaxed). If you are traveling with your 2 bottles of wine per cabin, you will be directed to a small desk where the ship crew members make a note of it.  (The wine check happens post security).

Finally, you are ready to check in - please keep your travel docs out for the check-in agents.  Lines lengths vary throughout the day, so no guarantees.  Things do quiet down around 1:30pm, but if multiple buses arrive from SeaTac, or Canada all bets are off.

What could be different this year is if either Celebrity or RCL has the mobile check in.  It was not in use at Pier 91 last season (2018).

Hope this helps!

(FYI - For other cruise line passengers HAL, PCL, Carnival, it is a slightly different process with your large pieces of luggage)

• Like 1