Ginger pills for seasickness??

eng4

I have been taking ginger pills when flying and cruising for the last 3 or 4 years - I have never been ill when I have taken the pills while in the past I have had issues both flying and cruising.

Can never really know if the pills were the answer or if is it just I am more aware of trying to avoid motion and sea-sickness by all means possible. 

7 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I have been taking ginger pills when flying and cruising for the last 3 or 4 years - I have never been ill when I have taken the pills while in the past I have had issues both flying and cruising.

Can never really know if the pills were the answer or if is it just I am more aware of trying to avoid motion and sea-sickness by all means possible. 

How many, how often do you take them?

20 minutes ago, eng4 said:

How many, how often do you take them?

When flying I take 2 starting about an hour before departure and then 1 or 2 more every 4 hours or so of long or multiple flights. On cruises i just take one a day - but if the weather is iffy or I feel anything I up it from there. I have heard that it is better to be taking them before the sickness starts.

They are quite cheap and safe - so worth trying on your next trip.

• Like 1

I can't take most meds dt having strange reactions to them.  Ginger pills work great for me and very quickly.  I just take as needed ......2  capsules.............works like a charm.  I also have sea bands. They seem to work but it annoys me having them on my wrists.  I found an oil called motion-ese that you put on behind your ears and on pulse points.  That's a natural remedy as well.  All can be found at your local Walgreens. HTH.  Enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, Surrealistic said:

I can't take most meds dt having strange reactions to them.  Ginger pills work great for me and very quickly.  I just take as needed ......2  capsules.............works like a charm.  I also have sea bands. They seem to work but it annoys me having them on my wrists.  I found an oil called motion-ese that you put on behind your ears and on pulse points.  That's a natural remedy as well.  All can be found at your local Walgreens. HTH.  Enjoy your cruise!

I use the motion-ese with great success.

I start taking my ginger pills the day prior to cruising. I take one in the morning and one at night prior to bed and have never had a problem. I also bring the allotted amount of ginger ale on board as well.

Edited by hockeyguru32

6 hours ago, eng4 said:

Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

Bonine makes me so tired even though it says no drowsiness. 

I have used ginger pills but I have bought ginger candy that worked great.  I have also found ginger ale works very well for me, when seasickness was totally unexpected and I didn't have anything else.  

Sea Bands work for me when the seas are not extreme.  Bonine works well but must be taken in advance.  Have always taken ginger with me on a cruise but have not needed it to this point.  For me I will use sea bands.  If the seas are to be rough I will start taking bonine a couple of days before sailing.  

9 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

Could anyone recommend any brands of ginger pills and ginger candy that they've used?  I want to take both, but there are so many different brands out there I don't know which is best.

I don't know that the pill brand matters so much -they are just 'ginger' for active ingredients. I have bought the generic pills at Walmart and also GNC - a bottle of 100 tables will do me for a year or two. 

Edited by rodndonna
  • Like 1

Discovered Motion Eaze about four cruises ago.  We put it on the morning of the cruise and after every shower.  Apply behind the ear and on the wrists. Our Walgreens does not carry this product.  I had to get it at Walmart.  Completely natural and inexpensive too ! 

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:34 PM, Cyn874 said:

Could anyone recommend any brands of ginger pills and ginger candy that they've used?  I want to take both, but there are so many different brands out there I don't know which is best.

The first time I tried them I made them myself! I had empty gelatin pill capsules you can buy from any natural food store (I used to make DH cinnamon capsules for his diabetes so I had them on hand) and followed the instructions from the clerk at the natural food store. I bought good quality powdered ginger at a bulk store (not mixed with a ton of flour) and filled the capsules myself... so as long as they're a brand name (I've also bought Nature Made, plus I tried Natrol- they're still pretty cheap) then I don't think the brand is that important. 

By the way filling the capsules myself was even cheaper and pretty easy, just time-consuming! Although I made up all the capsules we needed for an entire cruise while sitting watching one of my favorite TV shows!

• Like 1

Please consult with your doctor before taking ginger pills if you are on Blood Thinners, mainly Coumadin. I have an artificial Aortic Valve, so I can’t take Plavix. I almost landed in the hospital because Ginger is a natural blood thinner. I was taking the ginger pills on a cruise. They worked so well, and I was very happy. I started having unusual side effects and large bruises. I immediately stopped taking the ginger, because that was the only different meds I was taking. When I got home, I went to the doctor, who read me the riot act. My blood INR level was so high, my blood was so thin that there was risk of internal bleeding. Please, please be careful. I thought I was safe because this is a natural product. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, INCHARGE said:

Please consult with your doctor before taking ginger pills if you are on Blood Thinners, mainly Coumadin. I have an artificial Aortic Valve, so I can’t take Plavix. I almost landed in the hospital because Ginger is a natural blood thinner. I was taking the ginger pills on a cruise. They worked so well, and I was very happy. I started having unusual side effects and large bruises. I immediately stopped taking the ginger, because that was the only different meds I was taking. When I got home, I went to the doctor, who read me the riot act. My blood INR level was so high, my blood was so thin that there was risk of internal bleeding. Please, please be careful. I thought I was safe because this is a natural product. 

Oh wow! I had no idea! I regularly recommend ginger pills to fellow cruisers! I'll be sure to mention this as well...

6 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

Oh wow! I had no idea! I regularly recommend ginger pills to fellow cruisers! I'll be sure to mention this as well...

Same here! I’ll bet most of us don’t know about ginger being a natural blood thinner. I have been on Coumadin for over 30 years, and I just found out about 4 years ago. I was so disappointed because it works so well, with no drowsy feeling. I literally had to google it to make sure. I’m just grateful that I had the sense to stop. Most people have nothing to worry about. It works wonders on normal blood. If there may be just 1 person on Thinners, this warning is for them.

Edited by INCHARGE