Bit -coin bomb threat

BillOh

But, if you are talking about a real, physical threat -- like an explosive device -- isn't that the reason that we already have to go through all of that security, before boarding a plane or cruise ship? I would think that public spaces, and buildings with NO security screening would me much more at risk.

21 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

But, if you are talking about a real, physical threat -- like an explosive device -- isn't that the reason that we already have to go through all of that security, before boarding a plane or cruise ship? I would think that public spaces, and buildings with NO security screening would me much more at risk.

Maybe that is why whomever is behind this wave of cyber threats chose the targets they did.  Schools and churches today can't assume a threat is fake,  airlines and other transportation lines have a little more leeway to evaluate such a threat.  I doubt the originator of this round really didn't' expect any payments and wanted to create a distruption.  With that in mine, the same type of cyber pirate could create fake cancellations or other economical mischief.  

I was there in the early days of email.  Somewhere around 2000 (I forget the source) more than 50% of all email traffic was bogus.  I wonder what that number is today.  I just think this weeks event was the tip of the iceberg.  

R-E-L-A-X

I would venture to say that more than 50% of information/news on the internet and broadcasted is bogus. Fear drives viewers/eyeballs.

Turn off the news more often and look away from conjecture and non-facts.

2 hours ago, Mike981 said:

R-E-L-A-X

I would venture to say that more than 50% of information/news on the internet and broadcasted is bogus. Fear drives viewers/eyeballs.

Turn off the news more often and look away from conjecture and non-facts.

My thoughts exactly.

My office received the e-mail. While it looked bogus to us, we decided we would be irresponsible not to report it. The police came with bomb-sniffing dogs and found nothing. Some of our employees didn't even know until today that anything happened.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

You do realize that airport security is largely a dog 'n pony show to just pacify the "anything for security" crowd, right?   Testing of TSA via "secret shoppers" have shown a humongous failure rate of agents being able to catch nefarious devices.   What I would expect from an agency who hires people from ads on pizza box tops (yes, they did).  With cruise ships port terminals only using magnetometers and x-ray machines, they are no better than TSA's "official" protocols.  

My little podunk town's weekly newspaper got one of these threats; since it is near the public school complex, the schools went on lockdown for a little time "out of an abundance of caution" until it could be verified as a hoax.  

3 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

You do realize that airport security is largely a dog 'n pony show to just pacify the "anything for security" crowd, right?    

Yes, I'm aware of the limitations of airport and port security. That being said, morons -- like the ones who came up with this massive 'hoax' -- are usually drawn to the low-hanging fruit. In this case, that would be public buildings and areas with NO security, at all.

This sort of activity might finally inspire governments to cooperate in taking effective steps to close down the Bitcoin concept — which serves little purpose beyond facilitating questionable, and largely anti-social financial transactions:  money laundering, extortion schemes, embargo evasion, tax evasion, etc.

Here's the text of a bomb threat email my business received Thursday.  I don't know if this is the same as others have received.  I'm not sure how anyone reading this could take it seriously.

===============================================================================

Good day.  My man hid the bomb (tronitrotoluene) in the building where your company is located. My recruited person built an explosive device according to my instructions. It is compact and it is hidden very carefully, it is not able to destroy the supporting building structure, but in case of its explosion you will get many wounded people.

My mercenary keeps the building under the control. If any suspicious behavioror cop is noticed he will power the device.

I can withdraw my man if you make a transfer. You send me 20.000 dollars in BTC and the device will not explode, but do not try to cheat -I ensure you that I have to withdraw my man solely after 3 confirmations in blockchain network.

My payment details (Bitcoin address): 15F7TCqGRWE66xrBNxyt9ko1XsKaQvEh9t

You have to solve problems with the payment by the end of the workday. If the working day is over and people start leaving the building explosive will explode.

This is just a business, if I do not receive the money and an explosive device explodes, next time other commercial enterprises will send me more bitcoins, because this isnt an isolated case.

For my safety,  I will not visit this email account. I monitor my  address every 40 min and after seeing the transaction I will order my man to get away.

If a bomb explodes and the authorities read this letter!

We arent a terrorist organization and dont take liability for explosions in other buildings.