Type of Clothing in December/January

lovetotraveltx

New Orleans is hit or miss this time of year but you must plan for cold weather on departure or return. If you are flying in and out day of embark/debark layering will be fine. A good sweater/sweatshirt and a rain jacket should be enough to keep you warm transiting to and from the airport. If you plan to spend a day or more pre or post cruise you really should consider bringing proper gear for exploring and enjoying the city in comfort.

2 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

We are taking a cruise on December 30. Although we are going to the Caribbean, I'm guessing it will start out and end up cold, out of New Orleans. So, how do you dress? Do you bring some fall type clothes and sweats to walk on deck...? Thank you

New Orleans temperature range right now is low 50's at night, low 60's during the day, with scattered showers possible. 

The Caribbean should be pretty steady mid 70's at night, low 80's during the day. Periodic rain is very likely, but otherwise sunny and mild. 

9 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

We are taking a cruise on December 30. Although we are going to the Caribbean, I'm guessing it will start out and end up cold, out of New Orleans. So, how do you dress? Do you bring some fall type clothes and sweats to walk on deck...? Thank you

I have the clothes I came in for the first day and disembarkation, a sweater and 1 long sleeve top. Thats all I have thats not hot weather clothes and I sail every winter and never freeze  :classic_biggrin: But I also stay away from the outside deck 1 day each way.

15 hours ago, boopsahoy said:

I have the clothes I came in for the first day and disembarkation, a sweater and 1 long sleeve top. Thats all I have thats not hot weather clothes and I sail every winter and never freeze  :classic_biggrin: But I also stay away from the outside deck 1 day each way.

So you are OK with summer clothes: dresses, shorts and capri's from about the 2nd day on?

"Cold" is relative. December in New Orleans would seem warm to someone from where I live. I remember visiting Charleston once at the beginning of March, when people there kept apologizing for the unnaturally cold weather. It was 75 degrees.

For a winter vacation in a warm climate, I usually leave my house wearing a packable down-alternative vest under a rain jacket. In the airport I might cram the vest into my carry-on bag or a bag I was going to check, since the rain jacket alone would be sufficient at the departure port, if needed at all.

At sea you could very well want a windbreaker on deck, long pants, etc., even if it will be hot at the ports of call. But you're going to the Caribbean, not the Antarctic.

5 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

So you are OK with summer clothes: dresses, shorts and capri's from about the 2nd day on?

I am,-with a sweater. But I live in new York so I'm used to the cold.  

Edited by boopsahoy
typo

16 hours ago, kochleffel said:

"Cold" is relative. December in New Orleans would seem warm to someone from where I live. I remember visiting Charleston once at the beginning of March, when people there kept apologizing for the unnaturally cold weather. It was 75 degrees.

For a winter vacation in a warm climate, I usually leave my house wearing a packable down-alternative vest under a rain jacket. In the airport I might cram the vest into my carry-on bag or a bag I was going to check, since the rain jacket alone would be sufficient at the departure port, if needed at all.

At sea you could very well want a windbreaker on deck, long pants, etc., even if it will be hot at the ports of call. But you're going to the Caribbean, not the Antarctic.

I was born and raised in New York, but haven't lived there since 1997 and am not used to the cold. I know it won't be freezing but I just took a cruise in Mid October and could walk on deck early in the AM with shorts and really only needed a light jacket or sweater if I walked around the deck at night for a bit or hung out on deck for something. So was wondering in the winter, do people dress differently on sea days then a warmer weather cruise. And, would I need sweat pants and maybe long sleeves early AM taking a walk?

On 12/14/2018 at 6:53 PM, BirdTravels said:

Shorts and t-shirts for us. Won't be in NOLA very long, so I would pack one set of cloths for embark/disembark and summer close for the rest of the cruise. 

That's what we do.  Warmer clothes until we get on the ship ... then summer clothes for the cruise.

I do take some sort of wrap to wear while on the ship because the a/c often makes it quite chilly in some public areas.  :classic_wink:

What do you people from colder climes do with your winter jackets? I am flying from Western NY to Miami for a cruise at the end of January and wondering if I should bring my winter coat and gloves with me or leave it in the car. I am assuming will have to dig my car out when I get back but lugging it around seems really annoying too. 

21 minutes ago, lepidoptera said:

What do you people from colder climes do with your winter jackets? I am flying from Western NY to Miami for a cruise at the end of January and wondering if I should bring my winter coat and gloves with me or leave it in the car. I am assuming will have to dig my car out when I get back but lugging it around seems really annoying too. 

I leave winter coat in car and wear my golf pullover from hotel to shuttle to airport. Wife will wear a sweater.

Usually I will wear my golf wind pants with shorts underneath and as soon as I'm sitting in airport waiting to board put the wind pants in carry on.

28 minutes ago, lepidoptera said:

I've already posted about what I wear: a packable down-alternative vest that I can stuff into a carry-on or checked bag, and a rain jacket.

My recollection is that ROC has some garage parking, although I last flew from there maybe 10 years ago. Or get someone to drop you off and pick you up, keeping your coat for you.

3 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

I was born and raised in New York, but haven't lived there since 1997 and am not used to the cold. I know it won't be freezing but I just took a cruise in Mid October and could walk on deck early in the AM with shorts and really only needed a light jacket or sweater if I walked around the deck at night for a bit or hung out on deck for something. So was wondering in the winter, do people dress differently on sea days then a warmer weather cruise. And, would I need sweat pants and maybe long sleeves early AM taking a walk?

If you're no longer used to cold weather you should certainly take care to have appropriate clothing. The average low in New Orleans in January is about 45 but it can be quite a lot colder - you could check the 10-day weather forecast the day before you leave, since temperature predictions are fairly accurate even that far out (precipitation forecasts are not). I wouldn't take sweat pants, but that's partly because of the packing bulk.

Where did you go in your October cruise? I was on one from New York to Halifax and Saint John and it was very cold on deck some of the time. They closed the promenade deck at times because of the rain that was blowing onto it.

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I've already posted about what I wear: a packable down-alternative vest that I can stuff into a carry-on or checked bag, and a rain jacket.

My recollection is that ROC has some garage parking, although I last flew from there maybe 10 years ago. Or get someone to drop you off and pick you up, keeping your coat for you.

I am flying this time from Buffalo early on a Thursday (cruise leaves on Friday) because it was close to $200 cheaper. But now I need to figure out parking-Rochester is super easy because I live within spitting distance of the airport and an uber is <$10. I’ve tried to place a reservation for the garage there but I’m having problems with the site on my iPad.  

On 12/16/2018 at 12:29 PM, kochleffel said:

If you're no longer used to cold weather you should certainly take care to have appropriate clothing. The average low in New Orleans in January is about 45 but it can be quite a lot colder - you could check the 10-day weather forecast the day before you leave, since temperature predictions are fairly accurate even that far out (precipitation forecasts are not). I wouldn't take sweat pants, but that's partly because of the packing bulk.

Where did you go in your October cruise? I was on one from New York to Halifax and Saint John and it was very cold on deck some of the time. They closed the promenade deck at times because of the rain that was blowing onto it.

We went on a Panama Canal Cruise from San Diego California to Galveston TX. We hit a hurricane and a tropical storm in the Pacific, so had touches of bad weather, but mostly warm!

If I am predicting that my coldest weather than I will encounter will be in the 40s going to and from the airport:  Here is what I do for Dec./Jan.

We are from St. Louis, MO.  I like to have a fleece jacket, jeans, and some light sweaters with me down south anyway for the A/C on the cruise in the Caribbean or even for a trip to Florida and stay there.  For coming to Florida I wear jeans, a light sweater, and my heaviest fleece jacket.  I pack a lighter fleece jacket too.  Once I get off the plane, I put my fleece jacket in my backpack.  // When I self disembark the ship I wear the same outfit light sweater and jeans with my fleece jacket in my backpack.  

If I think that is not going to be warm enough with me (This is when I predict that my coldest weather will be in the 30s or below that at home), I also when going from St. Louis to the airport wear a down coat, mittens, and a hat.  Once I get inside the airport, I put these bulkier items in the suitcase that I will check on top.  // For leaving Florida I put these in the suitcase on top too and then after I pick up my luggage, I put them on before taking the shuttle to get my car.  Down is really nice, as it isn't overly bulky.  I have a light down parka that works great for the coldest winter days in St. Louis and is so much better for traveling because of how well it squishes down.

For Florida or the Caribbean I can usually get away with two pairs of jeans, two light sweaters, a light fleece jacket, and heavier fleece jacket, and summer clothes for the day that I can layer if it's windy or colder than expected.

Please note that I am someone who likes it warmer than most people and even at home in the summer when it is in the 90s, I bring a light fleece jacket that I tie around my waist to bring to restaurants due to the A/C.  The tropics are usually nice summer weather, but I think it is foolish to not have at least one pair of jeans and a fleece jacket just in case.

Edited by kathy884